Ukrainians Mark Chernobyl Disaster amid Nuclear Threats

This photograph taken on April 26, 2023, shows a part of the new Safe Confinement (NSC), a metal dome encasing the sarcophagus covering the destroyed fourth reactor of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, on the 37th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (AFP)
This photograph taken on April 26, 2023, shows a part of the new Safe Confinement (NSC), a metal dome encasing the sarcophagus covering the destroyed fourth reactor of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, on the 37th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (AFP)
TT

Ukrainians Mark Chernobyl Disaster amid Nuclear Threats

This photograph taken on April 26, 2023, shows a part of the new Safe Confinement (NSC), a metal dome encasing the sarcophagus covering the destroyed fourth reactor of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, on the 37th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (AFP)
This photograph taken on April 26, 2023, shows a part of the new Safe Confinement (NSC), a metal dome encasing the sarcophagus covering the destroyed fourth reactor of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, on the 37th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (AFP)

Workers at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant on Wednesday marked the 37th anniversary of the world's worst nuclear disaster amid an ongoing war and nuclear threats, somberly laying flowers at a monument for victims.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy used the day to repeat his warnings about the potential threat of a new atomic catastrophe in Ukraine amid the war with Russia, drawing a parallel between the Chernobyl accident in 1986 to Moscow’s brief seizure of that plant and its radiation-contaminated exclusion zone following its full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

“Last year, the occupier not only seized the (Chernobyl) nuclear power plant, but also endangered the entire world again,” Zelenskyy said in a Telegram post in English.

On April 26, 1986, an explosion and fire at the plant caused radioactive fallout to begin spewing into the atmosphere. Dozens of people were killed in the immediate aftermath of the disaster while the long-term death toll from radiation poisoning is unknown.

Thousands of tanks and troops rumbled into the plant's radiation-contaminated exclusion zone in the early hours of Russia's invasion of Ukraine on Feb. 24, 2022, churning up highly contaminated soil from the site. Russian forces remained stationed at the closed plant between February and March last year, before they withdrew from the Kyiv area and it was recaptured by Ukrainian troops.

Zelenskyy said Kyiv has since then reestablished prewar security measures and scientific activities within the zone. But he cautioned that future moves from Moscow could endanger global nuclear safety.

Russian forces have also been stationed at southern Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, Europe’s largest and one of the 10 biggest in the world, since capturing the site early in the war.

Ukrainian officials have repeatedly accused Russia of using the plant as a base for firing on nearby Ukrainian-held territory. On Tuesday, Ukrainian officials reported that heavy Russian artillery fire hit cities on the western bank of the Dnieper River just across from the plant.

The plant has six reactors, all of which have been shut down over the past year.

“We must do everything to give no chance to the terrorist state to use nuclear power facilities to blackmail Ukraine and the entire world,” Zelenskyy said in his Telegram post. Zelenskyy’s office published photos of him laying flowers at two Kyiv memorials to Chernobyl victims and observing a minute’s silence.

At the site of the exclusion zone, workers and engineers placed flowers at a memorial Wednesday and received awards from the minister of environment, Ruslan Strilets.

Mykola Pobedin, an engineer, recalled with fear the 25 days he spent under Russian occupation. He had been working at the station for 35 years, but on the day of the invasion, he encountered something he never thought he would.

“Heading to the workplace, I saw a tank that was standing right here and the muzzle was pointed at the station,” he said. He recalled sleeping and eating little for the next weeks, with even bread running out.

More than 150 members of the Ukrainian National Guard captured during Russia’s occupation of the Chernobyl exclusion zone remain in Russian custody, Strilets said. The level of radiation at the plant was now normal, he added.

“The day when the exclusion zone was crossed, when the Ukrainian flag flew over the Chernobyl station again, it was a day, it was a sign that Ukraine would definitely win this war,” he said.



Residents in Australia’s Victoria State Urged to Evacuate as Bushfire Rages

This undated handout image received on December 26, 2024 from the State Control Center of the Victoria Emergency Services shows officials on a road near a bushfire in the Grampians National Park in Australia's Victoria state. (Handout / State Control Center of the Victoria Emergency Services / AFP)
This undated handout image received on December 26, 2024 from the State Control Center of the Victoria Emergency Services shows officials on a road near a bushfire in the Grampians National Park in Australia's Victoria state. (Handout / State Control Center of the Victoria Emergency Services / AFP)
TT

Residents in Australia’s Victoria State Urged to Evacuate as Bushfire Rages

This undated handout image received on December 26, 2024 from the State Control Center of the Victoria Emergency Services shows officials on a road near a bushfire in the Grampians National Park in Australia's Victoria state. (Handout / State Control Center of the Victoria Emergency Services / AFP)
This undated handout image received on December 26, 2024 from the State Control Center of the Victoria Emergency Services shows officials on a road near a bushfire in the Grampians National Park in Australia's Victoria state. (Handout / State Control Center of the Victoria Emergency Services / AFP)

An ‌out-of-control bushfire in Australia's Victoria state prompted an evacuation alert for residents near a remote mining settlement, authorities said on Saturday.

The alert, at the highest emergency rating, was for the area surrounding the A1 Mine Settlement in the Gaffney's Creek region, about 50 km (31 miles) ‌northeast of ‌state capital Melbourne.

"Leaving immediately is ‌the ⁠safest option, before ⁠conditions become too dangerous," Victoria Emergency said on its website, adding that the fire was not yet controlled.

Mountainous terrain was making it difficult for firefighters to battle ⁠the blaze from the ‌ground, the ‌Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported.

Since the 1860s gold ‌has been mined in the sparsely-populated ‌area, which is also popular with campers and tourists.

Three other bushfires were burning on Saturday at watch and act ‌level, the second highest danger rating, Victoria Emergency said.

In January, ⁠thousands ⁠of firefighters battled bushfires in Australia's southeast that razed homes, cut power to thousands of homes and burned swathes of bushland. They were the worst fires to hit the southeast since the Black Summer blazes of 2019-2020 that destroyed an area the size of Türkiye and killed 33 people.


Galapagos Park Releases 158 Juvenile Hybrid Tortoises on Floreana to Restore the Ecosystem

 Juvenile giant tortoises are loaded onto a boat on Santa Cruz Island for transport to Floreana Island for release as part of a project to reintroduce the Floreana giant tortoise to its native island in the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Dolores Ochoa)
Juvenile giant tortoises are loaded onto a boat on Santa Cruz Island for transport to Floreana Island for release as part of a project to reintroduce the Floreana giant tortoise to its native island in the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Dolores Ochoa)
TT

Galapagos Park Releases 158 Juvenile Hybrid Tortoises on Floreana to Restore the Ecosystem

 Juvenile giant tortoises are loaded onto a boat on Santa Cruz Island for transport to Floreana Island for release as part of a project to reintroduce the Floreana giant tortoise to its native island in the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Dolores Ochoa)
Juvenile giant tortoises are loaded onto a boat on Santa Cruz Island for transport to Floreana Island for release as part of a project to reintroduce the Floreana giant tortoise to its native island in the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Dolores Ochoa)

Nearly 150 years after the last giant tortoises were removed from Floreana Island in Ecuador’s Galapagos archipelago, the species made a comeback Friday, when dozens of juvenile hybrids were released to begin restoring the island’s depleted ecosystem.

The 158 newcomers, aged 8 to 13, have begun exploring the habitat they are destined to reshape over the coming years. Their release was perfectly timed with the arrival of the season’s first winter rains.

“They are large enough to be released and can defend themselves against introduced animals such as rats and cats,” said Fredy Villalba, director of the Galapagos National Park breeding center on Santa Cruz Island, noting that the best specimens with the strongest lineage were selected specifically for Floreana.

These released juvenile specimens, out of a total of 700 planned for Floreana, will be introduced gradually. According to Christian Sevilla, director of ecosystems of the Galapagos National Park, they carry between 40% and 80% of the genetic makeup of the Chelonoidis niger —a species that has been extinct for 150 years.

The lineage of these hybrids traces back to Wolf Volcano on Isabela Island, a discovery that still puzzles scientists today. By selecting adults with the strongest genetic makeup, said Sevilla, the breeding program aims to gradually bring the extinct Floreana species back to its former purity.

Two centuries ago, Floreana was home to approximately 20,000 giant tortoises. However, whaling, a devastating fire, and relentless human exploitation eventually led to their complete extinction on the island.

“In genetic terms, reintroducing a species to that island with a significant genetic component of the original species is vital,” biologist Washington Tapia told The Associated Press.

Tapia, a researcher and director of Biodiversa-Consultores — a firm specializing in the Galapagos Islands — emphasized that this process is about more than just numbers; it is about restoring a lost lineage.

Floreana, an island spanning approximately 173 square kilometers (67 square miles), is a volcanic landmass and the southernmost point of the Galapagos archipelago. Situated in the middle of the Pacific Ocean — roughly 1,000 kilometers (621 miles) from the mainland coast — it remains a remote and vital ecological site.

The tortoises reintroduced to Floreana will share their territory with a diverse population of nearly 200 people alongside flamingos, iguanas, penguins, sea gulls and hawks. However, they must also contend with introduced plant species such as blackberry and guava, as well as animals like rats, cats, pigs and donkeys. These non-native species, introduced by human activity, represent potential threats to the island’s newest inhabitants.

Floreana resident Verónica Mora described the release of the turtles as a dream come true. “We are seeing the reality of a project that began several years ago,” she said, adding that the community feels immense pride in the return of the giant tortoises.

The United Nations designated the Galapagos Islands as a Natural World Heritage Site in 1978. This honor recognizes the islands’ unique abundance of terrestrial and marine species found nowhere else on the planet.


Austria Turns Hitler’s Home into a Police Station

Workers are finishing works at the birth house of former German dictator Adolf Hitler that is turned into a police station, pictured on February 17, 2026 in Braunau am Inn, Austria. (AFP)
Workers are finishing works at the birth house of former German dictator Adolf Hitler that is turned into a police station, pictured on February 17, 2026 in Braunau am Inn, Austria. (AFP)
TT

Austria Turns Hitler’s Home into a Police Station

Workers are finishing works at the birth house of former German dictator Adolf Hitler that is turned into a police station, pictured on February 17, 2026 in Braunau am Inn, Austria. (AFP)
Workers are finishing works at the birth house of former German dictator Adolf Hitler that is turned into a police station, pictured on February 17, 2026 in Braunau am Inn, Austria. (AFP)

Turning the house where Adolf Hitler was born into a police station has raised mixed emotions in his Austrian hometown.

"It's a double-edged sword," said Sibylle Treiblmaier, outside the house in the town of Braunau am Inn on the border with Germany.

While it might discourage far-right extremists from gathering at the site, it could have "been used better or differently", the 53-year-old office assistant told AFP.

The government wants to "neutralize" the site and passed a law in 2016 to take control of the dilapidated building from its private owner.

Austria -- which was annexed by Hitler's Germany in 1938 -- has repeatedly been criticized in the past for not fully acknowledging its responsibility in the Holocaust.

The far-right Freedom Party, founded by former Nazis, is ahead in the polls after getting the most votes in a national election for the first time in 2024, though it failed to form a government.

Last year, two streets in Braunau am Inn commemorating Nazis were renamed after years of complaints by activists.

- 'Problematic' -

The house where Hitler was born on April 20, 1889, and lived for a short period of his early life, is right in the center of town on a narrow shop-lined street.

A memorial stone in front reads: "For Peace, Freedom and Democracy. Never Again Fascism. Millions of Dead Warn."

When AFP visited this week, workers were putting the finishing touches to the renovated facade.

Officers are scheduled to move in during "the second quarter of 2026", the interior ministry said.

But for author Ludwig Laher, a member of the Mauthausen Committee Austria that represents Holocaust victims, "a police station is problematic, as the police... are obliged, in every political system, to protect what the state wants".

An earlier idea to turn the house into a place where people would come together to discuss peace-building had "received a lot of support", he told AFP.

Jasmin Stadler, a 34-year-old shop owner and Braunau native, said it would have been interesting to put Hitler's birth in the house in a "historic context", explaining more about the house.

She also slammed the 20-million-euro ($24-million) cost of the rebuild.

- 'Bit of calm' -

But others are in favor of the redesign of the house, which many years ago was rented by the interior ministry and housed a center for people with disabilities before it fell into disrepair.

Wolfgang Leithner, a 57-year-old electrical engineer, said turning it into a police station would "hopefully bring a bit of calm", avoiding it becoming a shrine for far-right extremists.

"It makes sense to use the building and give it to the police, to the public authorities," he said.

The office of Braunau's conservative mayor declined an AFP request for comment.

Throughout Austria, debate on how to address the country's Holocaust history has repeatedly flared.

Some 65,000 Austrian Jews were killed and 130,000 forced into exile during Nazi rule.