UN Warns of ‘Deeply Concerning’ Situation in Sudan

People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
TT
20

UN Warns of ‘Deeply Concerning’ Situation in Sudan

People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has described the current situation in Sudan as "deeply concerning," reiterating his warnings of the conflict spreading to neighboring countries.

Guterres spoke at a press conference in Nairobi, Kenya, and addressed the developments in Sudan and the clashes that began on April 15 between the Sudanese army, led by Lt- Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces of Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo.

He explained that several agreements failed to stop the fighting that has driven tens of thousands of refugees out of Sudan and raised fears of a deepening humanitarian crisis in the region.

The envoy asserted that the parties should agree on a lasting ceasefire, saying the situation is profoundly concerning, fearing that it could extend to neighboring countries going through political problems and transitional stages.

He expressed concerns with Chad, asserting the need to support the country in the present situation, saying Ethiopia is in a peace process, and it is essential to avoid any spillover from Sudan to Ethiopia.

Guterres dispatched UN emergency relief coordinator Martin Griffiths to Port Sudan, where thousands of Sudanese and foreigners gathered, hoping to flee the country.

Upon arriving in Port Sudan, Griffiths tweeted that his visit reaffirmed the UN's commitment to the Sudanese people.

The envoy sought to organize the dispatch of humanitarian aid to the millions of Sudanese stranded in combat zones, with the continuation of Arab and international efforts to reach a sustainable cessation of war operations.

Thousands of UN staff have been evacuated via a road convoy to Port Sudan, and some UN offices temporarily suspended their services, such as the World Food Program (WFP), after two of their staff were killed in the fighting.

Later, the program announced that it would resume operations and food distribution is expected to begin in four states - Gedaref, Gezira, Kassala, and White Nile, in the coming days.

Griffiths said in a press conference from Port Sudan that he seeks solid guarantees on the safety and security of aid workers and supplies.

He addressed criticism that the UN had not done enough, saying it was challenging to operate in Sudan, saying that six of the WFP trucks traveling to the western region of Darfur had been looted en route, despite assurances of safety and security.

"It's not as if we're asking for the moon," he said, adding: "We're asking for the safe movement of humanitarian supplies and people. We do this in every other country, even without ceasefires."

"We are very clear now in our operational requirements as to what we need in terms of commitments from them," he said.

Griffiths' visit came after the South Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that the two parties to the conflict had agreed "in principle," to a seven-day ceasefire starting Thursday.

The United Nations announced that its dedicated programs had secured only 14 percent of the funds required for its operations for this year in Sudan, and it still needs about $1.5 billion to meet these needs, which have been exacerbated since the outbreak of the fighting.

- Dead, wounded, and displaced

The conflict has killed 550 people, including civilians, and injured more than 4,900.

At least 334,000 people were displaced inside Sudan, and tens of thousands have fled to neighboring countries such as Egypt, Chad, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and Ethiopia.

However, these numbers still need to be revised and are likely to rise steadily if the fighting continues.

The UN Refugee Agency reported that more than 42,000 Sudanese have crossed into Egypt, along with 2,300 foreigners.

Aid workers are increasingly concerned about the lack of essential services in combat zones.

Several Western countries have completed evacuations of their citizens from the country, and France, Britain, and the Us are now using Port Sudan as a base for those looking to leave. But citizens of other countries are still struggling to find a way out.

Furthermore, the Saudi warships carry mainly foreigners, Sudanese of dual citizenship, and others across the Red Sea to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia.



Shiny and Deadly, Unexploded Munitions a Threat to Gaza Children

Many casualties are children desperate for something to do or searching through the rubble. Eyad BABA / AFP/File
Many casualties are children desperate for something to do or searching through the rubble. Eyad BABA / AFP/File
TT
20

Shiny and Deadly, Unexploded Munitions a Threat to Gaza Children

Many casualties are children desperate for something to do or searching through the rubble. Eyad BABA / AFP/File
Many casualties are children desperate for something to do or searching through the rubble. Eyad BABA / AFP/File

War has left Gaza littered with unexploded bombs that will take years to clear, with children drawn to metal casings maimed or even killed when they try to pick them up, a demining expert said.

Nicholas Orr, a former UK military deminer, told AFP after a mission to the war-battered Palestinian territory that "we're losing two people a day to UXO (unexploded ordnance) at the moment."

According to Orr, most of the casualties are children out of school desperate for something to do, searching through the rubble of bombed-out buildings sometimes for lack of better playthings.

"They're bored, they're running around, they find something curious, they play with it, and that's the end," he said.

Among the victims was 15-year-old Ahmed Azzam, who lost his leg to an explosive left in the rubble as he returned to his home in the southern city of Rafah after months of displacement.

"We were inspecting the remains of our home and there was a suspicious object in the rubble," Azzam told AFP.

"I didn't know it was explosive, but suddenly it detonated," he said, causing "severe wounds to both my legs, which led to the amputation of one of them."

He was one of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians returning home during a truce that brought short-lived calm to Gaza after more than 15 months of war, before Israel resumed its bombardment and military operations last month.

For Azzam and other children, the return was marred by the dangers of leftover explosives.

'Attractive to kids'

Demining expert Orr, who was in Gaza for charity Handicap International, said that while no one is safe from the threat posed by unexploded munitions, children are especially vulnerable.

Some ordnance is like "gold to look at, so they're quite attractive to kids", he said.

"You pick that up and that detonates. That's you and your family gone, and the rest of your building."

Another common scenario involved people back from displacement, said Orr, giving an example of "a father of a family who's moved back to his home to reclaim his life, and finds that there's UXO in his garden".

"So he tries to help himself and help his family by moving the UXO, and there's an accident."

With fighting ongoing and humanitarian access limited, little data is available, but in January the UN Mine Action Service said that "between five and 10 percent" of weapons fired into Gaza failed to detonate.

It could take 14 years to make the coastal territory safe from unexploded bombs, the UN agency said.

Alexandra Saieh, head of advocacy for Save The Children, said unexploded ordnance is a common sight in the Gaza Strip, where her charity operates.

"When our teams go on field they see UXOs all the time. Gaza is littered with them," she said.

'Numbers game'

For children who lose limbs from blasts, "the situation is catastrophic", said Saieh, because "child amputees require specialized long-term care... that's just not available in Gaza".

In early March, just before the ceasefire collapsed, Israel blocked all aid from entering Gaza. That included prosthetics that could have helped avoid long-term mobility loss, Saieh said.

Unexploded ordnance comes in various forms, Orr said. In Gaza's north, where ground battles raged for months, there are things like "mortars, grenades, and a lot of bullets".

In Rafah, where air strikes were more intense than ground combat, "it's artillery projectiles, it's airdrop projectiles", which can often weigh dozens of kilograms, he added.

Orr said he was unable to obtain permission to conduct bomb disposal in Gaza, as Israeli aerial surveillance could have mistaken him for a militant attempting to repurpose unexploded ordnance into weapons.

He also said that while awareness-raising could help Gazans manage the threat, the message doesn't always travel fast enough.

"People see each other moving it and think, 'Oh, they've done it, I can get away with it,'" Orr said, warning that it was difficult for a layperson to know which bombs might still explode, insisting it was not worth the risk.

"You're just playing against the odds, it's a numbers game."