UN Warns of ‘Deeply Concerning’ Situation in Sudan

People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
TT

UN Warns of ‘Deeply Concerning’ Situation in Sudan

People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has described the current situation in Sudan as "deeply concerning," reiterating his warnings of the conflict spreading to neighboring countries.

Guterres spoke at a press conference in Nairobi, Kenya, and addressed the developments in Sudan and the clashes that began on April 15 between the Sudanese army, led by Lt- Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces of Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo.

He explained that several agreements failed to stop the fighting that has driven tens of thousands of refugees out of Sudan and raised fears of a deepening humanitarian crisis in the region.

The envoy asserted that the parties should agree on a lasting ceasefire, saying the situation is profoundly concerning, fearing that it could extend to neighboring countries going through political problems and transitional stages.

He expressed concerns with Chad, asserting the need to support the country in the present situation, saying Ethiopia is in a peace process, and it is essential to avoid any spillover from Sudan to Ethiopia.

Guterres dispatched UN emergency relief coordinator Martin Griffiths to Port Sudan, where thousands of Sudanese and foreigners gathered, hoping to flee the country.

Upon arriving in Port Sudan, Griffiths tweeted that his visit reaffirmed the UN's commitment to the Sudanese people.

The envoy sought to organize the dispatch of humanitarian aid to the millions of Sudanese stranded in combat zones, with the continuation of Arab and international efforts to reach a sustainable cessation of war operations.

Thousands of UN staff have been evacuated via a road convoy to Port Sudan, and some UN offices temporarily suspended their services, such as the World Food Program (WFP), after two of their staff were killed in the fighting.

Later, the program announced that it would resume operations and food distribution is expected to begin in four states - Gedaref, Gezira, Kassala, and White Nile, in the coming days.

Griffiths said in a press conference from Port Sudan that he seeks solid guarantees on the safety and security of aid workers and supplies.

He addressed criticism that the UN had not done enough, saying it was challenging to operate in Sudan, saying that six of the WFP trucks traveling to the western region of Darfur had been looted en route, despite assurances of safety and security.

"It's not as if we're asking for the moon," he said, adding: "We're asking for the safe movement of humanitarian supplies and people. We do this in every other country, even without ceasefires."

"We are very clear now in our operational requirements as to what we need in terms of commitments from them," he said.

Griffiths' visit came after the South Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that the two parties to the conflict had agreed "in principle," to a seven-day ceasefire starting Thursday.

The United Nations announced that its dedicated programs had secured only 14 percent of the funds required for its operations for this year in Sudan, and it still needs about $1.5 billion to meet these needs, which have been exacerbated since the outbreak of the fighting.

- Dead, wounded, and displaced

The conflict has killed 550 people, including civilians, and injured more than 4,900.

At least 334,000 people were displaced inside Sudan, and tens of thousands have fled to neighboring countries such as Egypt, Chad, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and Ethiopia.

However, these numbers still need to be revised and are likely to rise steadily if the fighting continues.

The UN Refugee Agency reported that more than 42,000 Sudanese have crossed into Egypt, along with 2,300 foreigners.

Aid workers are increasingly concerned about the lack of essential services in combat zones.

Several Western countries have completed evacuations of their citizens from the country, and France, Britain, and the Us are now using Port Sudan as a base for those looking to leave. But citizens of other countries are still struggling to find a way out.

Furthermore, the Saudi warships carry mainly foreigners, Sudanese of dual citizenship, and others across the Red Sea to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.