Libyan Security Official to Asharq Al-Awsat: Ashmawi Appeared Confused at Time of Arrest

Nasser Ahmed al-Najdi. Asharq Al-Awsat
Nasser Ahmed al-Najdi. Asharq Al-Awsat
TT
20

Libyan Security Official to Asharq Al-Awsat: Ashmawi Appeared Confused at Time of Arrest

Nasser Ahmed al-Najdi. Asharq Al-Awsat
Nasser Ahmed al-Najdi. Asharq Al-Awsat

“He appeared in a state of shock and confusion when we captured him,” Nasser Ahmed al-Najdi told Asharq Al-Awsat on the arrest in Libya of Hisham el-Ashmawi, the most wanted militant in Egypt.

Najdi, who is the head of “Battalion 169” belonging to the Libyan National Army that arrested Ashmawi in the eastern Libyan city of Derna earlier this week, described the operation as “successful.”

“Not a single bullet was fired,” said Najdi, as he gave details on how his battalion arrested the militant following months of intelligence cooperation between the Egyptians and Libyans in the LNA.

Najdi was a member of the Libyan army under the previous regime. He later joined the LNA which was established by Khalifa Haftar in eastern Libya to confront the “Muslim Brotherhood” and the rest of terrorist organizations there.

Ashmawi “clearly has an aggressive personality,” said the commander. “His looks and psychological condition at the time of his arrest clearly showed that he is extremely aggressive.”

The armed militant was moving from street to street along with his bodyguards at the time of his arrest on Monday. “He wasn’t expecting us,” Najdi told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The militant was wearing explosives and had injuries that he had sustained in previous operations, he said.

Several documents revealing plots of sabotage and assassinations were found in his possession, he told the newspaper.

“All I can say is that the armed forces captured a terrorist ringleader who funded and trained terrorists.”

Najdi expected several other terrorist leaders to be swiftly apprehended following Ashmawi’s arrest.

Asked about the militant's interrogation, the commander said his role ended when the LNA handed Ashmawi over to investigators.

An Egyptian official expected in remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat that Ashmawi would be sent to Egypt soon.

The official, who refused to be identified, said: “There are some routine procedures that would be completed swiftly.”

“The LNA is fully cooperating with us. I don’t think there would be any problem in that regard,” he added.



Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
TT
20

Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)

Scores of US-backed Kurdish fighters left two neighborhoods in Syria’s northern city of Aleppo Friday as part of a deal with the central government in Damascus, which is expanding its authority in the country.

The fighters left the predominantly Kurdish northern neighborhoods of Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh, which had been under the control of Kurdish fighters in Aleppo over the past decade.

The deal is a boost to an agreement reached last month between Syria’s interim government and the Kurdish-led authority that controls the country’s northeast. The deal could eventually lead to the merger of the main US-backed force in Syria into the Syrian army.

The withdrawal of fighters from the US-backed and Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) came a day after dozens of prisoners from both sides were freed in Aleppo, Syria’s largest city.

Syria’s state news agency, SANA, reported that government forces were deployed along the road that SDF fighters will use to move between Aleppo and areas east of the Euphrates River, where the Kurdish-led force controls nearly a quarter of Syria.

Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh had been under SDF control since 2015 and remained so even when forces of ousted President Bashar al-Assad captured Aleppo in late 2016. The two neighborhoods remained under SDF control when forces loyal to current interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa captured the city in November, and days later captured the capital, Damascus, removing Assad from power.

After being marginalized for decades under the rule of the Assad family rule, the deal signed last month promises Syria’s Kurds “constitutional rights,” including using and teaching their language, which were banned for decades.

Hundreds of thousands of Kurds, who were displaced during Syria’s nearly 14-year civil war, will return to their homes. Thousands of Kurds living in Syria who have been deprived of nationality for decades under Assad will be given the right of citizenship, according to the agreement.

Kurds made up 10% of the country’s prewar population of 23 million. Kurdish leaders say they don’t want full autonomy with their own government and parliament. They want decentralization and room to run their day-to day-affairs.