Haftar Troops Advance in South Libya, Putting GNA Under Pressure

Libya's eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar (File Photo: Reuters)
Libya's eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar (File Photo: Reuters)
TT
20

Haftar Troops Advance in South Libya, Putting GNA Under Pressure

Libya's eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar (File Photo: Reuters)
Libya's eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar (File Photo: Reuters)

The Libyan National Army (LNA) continued to advance in the south of Libya amid heavy clashes with terrorists and Chadian groups, further isolating Fayez al-Sarraj's Government of National Accord in the capital Tripoli.

Although LNA commander Khalifa Haftar did not declare the army's advance towards the capital, military officials told Asharq al-Awsat that the liberation of the South would greatly facilitate the army’s mission if it was ordered to move on Tripoli, which has been under militia control for five years.

“Controlling the entire South will certainly facilitate the next step to enter Tripoli,” said a military officer who asked not to be identified.

The officer indicated that the entire South is now under the control of the army from Sabha to Qurayyat.

“The next battle is in Tripoli and it won't be easy,” admitted the military officer.

LNA's victories in the South have prompted Sarraj’s government to begin preparations for a possible battle in Tripoli.

Intelligence and military sources told Asharq al-Awsat that commander of the western military zone of Sarraj’s troops, Major General Ousama al-Juwaili, received about twenty containers, which are likely to contain weapons to be used in coming clashes.

Commander of Karama Operations Room Major General Abdul Salam al-Hassi said no military expert can predict the timing of the army's push into Tripoli.

“We are still in the South, and we are in the process of liberating it, helping citizens restore their normal lives, establishing stability and security, and chasing terrorists and mercenaries,” he indicated, adding that Tripoli will be dealt with at the right time.

The Council of Ministers of the Presidential Council government held a meeting on Saturday to discuss the situation facing the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA).

Earlier, the Libyan Office of Public Prosecutor in Tripoli issued an arrest warrant for the Chairman of the Authority, Ali Mahmoud Hassan Mohamed.

Mahmoud was detained over financial corruption and embezzlement.

Sarraj chaired the meeting of the Board of Trustees of LIA at the Presidential Council’s headquarters in Tripoli. The meeting was attended by Minister of Planning Tahir al-Jahimi, Finance Faraj Boumtari and Economy and Trade Ali al-Issawi.

The Authority’s board of directors had promised earlier this month to directly supervise the investment funds within the framework of a series of reform measures.



Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
TT
20

Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)

Scores of US-backed Kurdish fighters left two neighborhoods in Syria’s northern city of Aleppo Friday as part of a deal with the central government in Damascus, which is expanding its authority in the country.

The fighters left the predominantly Kurdish northern neighborhoods of Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh, which had been under the control of Kurdish fighters in Aleppo over the past decade.

The deal is a boost to an agreement reached last month between Syria’s interim government and the Kurdish-led authority that controls the country’s northeast. The deal could eventually lead to the merger of the main US-backed force in Syria into the Syrian army.

The withdrawal of fighters from the US-backed and Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) came a day after dozens of prisoners from both sides were freed in Aleppo, Syria’s largest city.

Syria’s state news agency, SANA, reported that government forces were deployed along the road that SDF fighters will use to move between Aleppo and areas east of the Euphrates River, where the Kurdish-led force controls nearly a quarter of Syria.

Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh had been under SDF control since 2015 and remained so even when forces of ousted President Bashar al-Assad captured Aleppo in late 2016. The two neighborhoods remained under SDF control when forces loyal to current interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa captured the city in November, and days later captured the capital, Damascus, removing Assad from power.

After being marginalized for decades under the rule of the Assad family rule, the deal signed last month promises Syria’s Kurds “constitutional rights,” including using and teaching their language, which were banned for decades.

Hundreds of thousands of Kurds, who were displaced during Syria’s nearly 14-year civil war, will return to their homes. Thousands of Kurds living in Syria who have been deprived of nationality for decades under Assad will be given the right of citizenship, according to the agreement.

Kurds made up 10% of the country’s prewar population of 23 million. Kurdish leaders say they don’t want full autonomy with their own government and parliament. They want decentralization and room to run their day-to day-affairs.