Lebanese Politicians Blame Hezbollah for Financial Crisis

 A worker cleans up broken glass from a bank facade after overnight protests against growing economic hardship in Sidon, Lebanon April 29, 2020. REUTERS/Ali Hashisho
A worker cleans up broken glass from a bank facade after overnight protests against growing economic hardship in Sidon, Lebanon April 29, 2020. REUTERS/Ali Hashisho
TT

Lebanese Politicians Blame Hezbollah for Financial Crisis

 A worker cleans up broken glass from a bank facade after overnight protests against growing economic hardship in Sidon, Lebanon April 29, 2020. REUTERS/Ali Hashisho
A worker cleans up broken glass from a bank facade after overnight protests against growing economic hardship in Sidon, Lebanon April 29, 2020. REUTERS/Ali Hashisho

Head of the Kataeb Party MP Sami Gemayel said that Lebanon was paying the price for Hezbollah’s policy.

“No one has the right to drag us into the place they want, and no one has the right to impose on us a lifestyle that we don’t want,” he said.

His comments came in response to a recent speech by the movement’s Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah.

Gemayel emphasized that Hezbollah “cannot absolve itself from the economic reality that we have reached,” adding that the movement was preventing the army from closing the illegal crossings.

“We don’t want to live in isolation and be cut off from the West, Arabs and the entire world,” Gemayel remarked.

Addressing Nasrallah, he said: “We are not agents; rather, we are Lebanese. We consider you a Lebanese like us, and we ask you to join us under the constitution in order to build a new Lebanon.”

Nasrallah’s words were met with rejection, especially his call to resort to the East and deal with China instead of the US.

Lebanese Forces MP Pierre Bou Assi said on his Twitter account: “Well done, sir. Just like that, camels are driven; but we are not camels.”

He continued: “No; We will not sacrifice our last hard currencies to save the Syrian regime... Our dollars belong to our citizens, the depositors, and they alone have the right to benefit from them.”

For his part, former MP Fares Soueid replied to Nasrallah saying: “You give us nothing but sedition and backwardness.”

Soueid emphasized adherence to the Constitution, the Taif Agreement, saying that Lebanon cannot be ruled by an authoritarian group.



Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
TT

Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)

An Italian rescue charity said on Monday it pulled 50 people to safety from a double-deck wooden boat in international waters off Libya, and recovered seven bodies.

Emergency said it spotted the "overcrowded wooden boat" in the early hours and began the rescue operation.

"Halfway through the rescue, our team noticed nine people lying on the deck," Jonathan Nani La Terra, the mission leader on board Emergency's Life Support search and rescue vessel, said in a statement.

The nine "had been moved there by other survivors who had recovered them from the hold where they had spent the entire journey", he said.

"Nothing could be done for seven of them. Two are in a critical condition due to suffocation," he said.

The migrants, who hail from Somalia and Egypt, said the boat had set off from Zuwara in Libya early on Sunday.

The International Organization for Migration said last week that the number of known migrant deaths in the central Mediterranean has increased drastically, even as migrant numbers fall because of harsher European policies.

This was partly due to a bout of severe weather in January and journeys growing longer with migrant boats departing further away from European shores.

Some 17,800 migrants have arrived in Italy so far this year, compared to 39,116 during the same period in 2025, according to interior ministry data.

 

 

 

 


Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
TT

Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani

The office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the headquarters of the region’s local intelligence director were targeted on Monday by two explosive-laden drones.

Barzani described the attack on his personal office as “a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region.”

“Based on information and investigations conducted by the Kurdistan Region’s Counter-Terrorism Directorate, it has been established that my personal office and the residence of the head of the Parastin Agency were targeted today by Iranian drones,” Barzani said.

“I strongly condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks and affirm that they constitute a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region. Such attacks will not deter us from continuing to carry out our duties and protect our citizens,” he added.


Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
TT

Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo

Two drones launched from inside Iran attacked the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government's prime minister in ⁠Iraq and the home of the autonomous region's intelligence chief overnight, authorities said Monday.

"Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones were launched from across the Iranian border toward the private office of the Kurdistan region prime minister and the residence of the Parastin Agency director," the regional Counter-Terrorism Directorate said.

“Fortunately, no casualties were reported,” it added.