Iraq Electoral Commission Sets 5 Conditions for Holding Polls

President Barham Salih meets with UN envoy to Iraq Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert. (Twitter)
President Barham Salih meets with UN envoy to Iraq Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert. (Twitter)
TT

Iraq Electoral Commission Sets 5 Conditions for Holding Polls

President Barham Salih meets with UN envoy to Iraq Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert. (Twitter)
President Barham Salih meets with UN envoy to Iraq Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert. (Twitter)

Iraq’s Independent High Electoral Commission announced on Monday five conditions to hold early parliamentary elections in June 2021.

It issued a statement shortly after the country’s highest Shiite authority, Ali al-Sistani, voiced his support for holding the polls during a meeting with United Nations envoy Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert.

The Commission said it welcomed Sistani’s position, saying it will be ready to stage the elections “once its conditions, which it has frequently stipulated, are met.”

It demanded that the parliament approve an electoral law “as soon as possible” and that it complete the legislation of the Federal Supreme Court. It also demanded that the government prepare the budget to hold the elections and that it approve the appointment of general directors elected by the Board of Commissioners. It also called on the United Nations and other concerned international organizations to assist in the electoral process and provide the necessary supervision to ensure that they are transparent.

President Barham Salih expressed his support for Sistani’s stance.

“Next year’s elections are fateful and must meet the necessary conditions that allow its results to be credible,” he said after receiving Hennis-Plasschaert in the city of al-Sulaymaniyah on Sunday.

He also stressed the need to implement the government’s policy statement in achieving social justice, cracking down on criminals, combating corruption, boosting the security forces and restoring the authority of the state and limiting the possession of arms to it.

Salih said the elections can be held once the electoral law is approved. Such a law should ensure real representation of all Iraqis and reflects their will to freely elect their representatives.

The results of the polls will consequently reflect the people’s desire for change and ensure that they are properly represented in government and at parliament, he added.

Another important element of the elections is ensuring that they are transparent, he remarked, stressing the need to take strict measures that thwart any voter fraud.

Sistani said on Sunday that the upcoming elections “are of great importance.”

Iraqis should be encouraged to participate "widely," he added, while warning that failing to hold the polls on time or in a free and fair way would "threaten the unity and future of Iraq's people."

Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi had announced in late July that Iraq would hold parliamentary elections nearly a year early, seeking to make good on one of the main promises he made when he came to power earlier this year.

On whether the elections will meet the people’s expectations, MP Aras Habib Karim told Asharq Al-Awsat: “The conditions set by Sistani demand all parties, forces and blocs to adopt them as a roadmap.”

“Everyone must commit to these conditions,” he added, while also highlighting the Commission’s demands.

Head of Iraq’s Advisory Council, Farhad Alaaldin, appeared skeptical over the polls, predicting the political powers will resort to stalling despite Sistani’s clear backing of the elections.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat the elections will likely be held in 2021, but they will probably be postponed to the fall.



Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
TT

Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)

An Italian rescue charity said on Monday it pulled 50 people to safety from a double-deck wooden boat in international waters off Libya, and recovered seven bodies.

Emergency said it spotted the "overcrowded wooden boat" in the early hours and began the rescue operation.

"Halfway through the rescue, our team noticed nine people lying on the deck," Jonathan Nani La Terra, the mission leader on board Emergency's Life Support search and rescue vessel, said in a statement.

The nine "had been moved there by other survivors who had recovered them from the hold where they had spent the entire journey", he said.

"Nothing could be done for seven of them. Two are in a critical condition due to suffocation," he said.

The migrants, who hail from Somalia and Egypt, said the boat had set off from Zuwara in Libya early on Sunday.

The International Organization for Migration said last week that the number of known migrant deaths in the central Mediterranean has increased drastically, even as migrant numbers fall because of harsher European policies.

This was partly due to a bout of severe weather in January and journeys growing longer with migrant boats departing further away from European shores.

Some 17,800 migrants have arrived in Italy so far this year, compared to 39,116 during the same period in 2025, according to interior ministry data.

 

 

 

 


Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
TT

Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani

The office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the headquarters of the region’s local intelligence director were targeted on Monday by two explosive-laden drones.

Barzani described the attack on his personal office as “a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region.”

“Based on information and investigations conducted by the Kurdistan Region’s Counter-Terrorism Directorate, it has been established that my personal office and the residence of the head of the Parastin Agency were targeted today by Iranian drones,” Barzani said.

“I strongly condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks and affirm that they constitute a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region. Such attacks will not deter us from continuing to carry out our duties and protect our citizens,” he added.


Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
TT

Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo

Two drones launched from inside Iran attacked the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government's prime minister in ⁠Iraq and the home of the autonomous region's intelligence chief overnight, authorities said Monday.

"Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones were launched from across the Iranian border toward the private office of the Kurdistan region prime minister and the residence of the Parastin Agency director," the regional Counter-Terrorism Directorate said.

“Fortunately, no casualties were reported,” it added.