Sudanese Banks Take First Steps to End Decades of Isolation

Banknotes are displayed on a roadside currency exchange stall along a street in Juba. (Reuters)
Banknotes are displayed on a roadside currency exchange stall along a street in Juba. (Reuters)
TT

Sudanese Banks Take First Steps to End Decades of Isolation

Banknotes are displayed on a roadside currency exchange stall along a street in Juba. (Reuters)
Banknotes are displayed on a roadside currency exchange stall along a street in Juba. (Reuters)

Sudanese banks have started moves to re-establish relations with foreign banks as the United States prepares to remove Sudan from its state sponsor of terrorism (SSOT) list, although bankers and analysts say the process will likely be slow.

Restoring international banking links could provide a vital boost to an economy still in crisis more than 18 months into a political transition following the overthrow of former president Omar al-Bashir.

Banks have been blocked from correspondence relationships involving US dollars and have had difficulty dealing in other major currencies for nearly two decades, forcing them to rely mainly on the United Arab Emirates dirham for transactions.

Importers have depended on expensive brokers, mainly in Dubai, to source foreign currency, passing on the extra cost to local consumers and helping to exacerbate inflation, now running at 220%.

On Oct. 27, Albaraka Bank Sudan completed Sudan’s first dollar-denominated cash transfer in years, bringing in dollars sourced in New York through its Cairo-based sister bank Albaraka Bank Egypt, its general manager said.

The transfer, for a Sudanese trading company, was the first in almost two decades, Elrasheed Abdel Rahman Ali said. “I think from the early years of the 2000s,” he told Reuters.

Most major foreign banks began gradually pulling out in the 2000s as the United States cracked down on transactions with Khartoum.

Washington formally lifted economic sanctions against Sudan in 2017, but continued to classify the country as a state sponsor of terrorism, in part because of its suppression of a rebellion in Darfur.

Foreign banks have been waiting for the country to be removed from the SSOT list before re-establishing banking relations, wary they may run afoul of secondary sanctions in place against individuals connected with the Darfur war.

“This has been a major impediment to the private sector,” said Ibrahim Elbadawi, who stepped down as Sudan’s finance minister in July. “It has been very costly because they have to deal with intermediary banks in the region, and this entails costs in terms of time and in the service these banks provide.”

Delisting
Sudan’s technocratic government, which serves under a military-civilian ruling council, had been pressing hard for the delisting since last year.

US President Donald Trump on Oct. 20 announced his decision to remove Sudan from the SSOT list as he pushed the country to agree to normalize relations with Israel, and later sent the decision to Congress, which has 45 days to approve or reject it.

Sudan’s acting finance minister, Hiba Mohamed Ali, said on Oct. 27 that banks could begin working the following week to establish relations with US and European banks.

“This is definitely going to be very valuable in terms of reducing costs as well as the time for the transactions,” said Elbadawi.

Yousif El Tinay, chief executive officer of Khartoum-based United Capital Bank, said Sudanese banks’ first step would be to contact former correspondents in Europe and the United States, but cautioned that many banks may not find Sudan’s tiny market attractive just yet for the legal and compliance effort involved.

“If you just look at banks just having to change their website, by removing Sudan from the list of countries,” you can’t deal with, including North Korea, Syria and Iran, he said.

“Time is needed by banks worldwide to change their internal communications on markets, to train people and change their compliance records and systems, to say that transactions from Sudan are okay,” El Tinay said.

Bankers hope that a preliminary deal that Sudan signed with General Electric in October to boost power generation will spur at least some American banks to speed up the process.

In the agreement, General Electric agreed to quickly install mobile turbines and to rehabilitate existing power plants to increase power generation by up to 470 megawatts.

“We’re going to write all of the major ones, We’re talking about JP Morgan, Citibank, Bank of America, and we’ll see and go through the process,” El Tinay said.

Finance minister Ali has said Sudanese citizens would feel an immediate benefit once correspondent relations were in place by being able to directly receive remittances from Sudanese working abroad.



Lagarde Dampens ECB Exit Talk, Expects to Finish her Term

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo
TT

Lagarde Dampens ECB Exit Talk, Expects to Finish her Term

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo

European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde has attempted to calm speculation about her stepping down early that has called into question the central bank's separation from politics, telling the Wall Street Journal she expects to complete her term.

Lagarde's status as leader of Europe's most important financial institution
was plunged into doubt this week after the Financial Times reported she planned to leave her job ahead of next spring's French presidential election, giving outgoing leader
Emmanuel Macron a say in picking her successor.

In an interview with the WSJ on Thursday, Lagarde dampened speculation about an imminent exit but still left the door slightly ajar to the possibility that she might leave before the end of her contract in October 2027.

“When I look back at all these years, I ‌think that we have ‌accomplished a lot, that I have accomplished a lot,” she told the ‌paper. “We ⁠need to consolidate ⁠and make sure that this is really solid and reliable. So my baseline is that it will take until the end of my term.”

Reuters exclusively reported that Lagarde had sent a private message to fellow policymakers reassuring them that she was still concentrating on her job and that they would hear it from her, rather than the press, if she wanted to step down.

The ECB has said that Lagarde has not made a decision about the end of her term, but stopped short of denying the FT report.

Some analysts thought an ⁠early exit risked tangling the ECB up in European politics as it could ‌give the impression of trying to make sure France's eurosceptic far ‌right, which could win next year's presidential vote, had no say in her succession.

Lagarde said last year she intended ‌to complete her term, a commitment she has conspicuously failed to repeat this week.

Bank of France Governor Francois ‌Villeroy de Galhau announced plans to step down from his job last week, in a move that gives President Macron a chance to pick the next French central bank chief, drawing sharp criticism from the far-right who called the move anti-democratic.

Villeroy's early departure and the confusion about Lagarde's future come just as US President Donald Trump is attacking the Federal Reserve, ‌further stoking debates about central bank independence from politics.

"After the recent events in the US, this is another reminder that although central banks are nominally ⁠independent, who leads them and ⁠their worldview is a matter for high politics," economists at Oxford Economics wrote on Friday.

As the head of the euro zone's second largest economy, the French president plays an important role in wider negotiations to select the head of the ECB.

Polls show either far-right National Rally leader Marine Le Pen, or her protege Jordan Bardella, could win the French presidency.

While the party has long dropped a call for France to leave the euro, it is still seen as something of an unknown quantity in central banking circles.

According to Reuters, Lagarde told the WSJ that she viewed her mission as price and financial stability, as well as "protecting the euro, making sure that it is solid and strong and fit for the future of Europe."

She also said that the World Economic Forum was "one of the many options" she was considering once she left the central bank.

When Lagarde's name first emerged as a possible candidate for ECB president in 2019, she said she had no interest in the job and would not leave the International Monetary Fund, where she was the managing director.


Stocks Drop, Oil Rises after Trump Iran Threat

Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP
Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP
TT

Stocks Drop, Oil Rises after Trump Iran Threat

Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP
Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP

Most Asia equities fell and oil prices rose on Friday after Donald Trump ratcheted up Middle East tensions by hinting at possible military strikes on Iran if it did not make a "meaningful deal" in nuclear talks.

The remarks fanned geopolitical concerns and cast a pall over a tentative rebound in markets following an AI-fueled sell-off this month.

Traders are also looking ahead to the release of US data later in the day that will provide a fresh snapshot of the world's top economy, said AFP.

A slew of forecast-beating figures over the past few days have lifted optimism about the outlook but tempered expectations for more interest rate cuts.

The US president told the inaugural meeting of the "Board of Peace", his initiative to secure stability in Gaza, that Tehran should make a deal.

"It's proven to be over the years not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran. We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen," he said, as he deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the region.

He warned that Washington "may have to take it a step further" without any agreement, adding: "You're going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days."

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier warned: "If the ayatollahs make a mistake and attack us, they will receive a response they cannot even imagine."

The threats come days after the United States and Iran held a second round of Omani-mediated talks in Geneva as Washington looks to prevent the country from getting a nuclear bomb, which Tehran says it is not pursuing.

The prospect of a conflict in the crude-rich Middle East has sent oil prices surging this week, and they extended the gains Friday to sit at their highest levels since June.

Equity traders were also spooked.

Hong Kong fell as it reopened from a three-day break, while Tokyo, Sydney, Wellington and Bangkok were also down. However, Seoul continued to rally to a fresh record thanks to more tech buying, with Singapore, Manila and Mumbai also up.

City Index market analyst Matt Simpson said a strike was not certain.

"At its core, this looks like pressure and leverage rather than a prelude to invasion," he wrote.

"The US is pairing military readiness with stalled nuclear negotiations, signaling it has credible strike options if talks fail. That doesn't automatically translate into boots on the ground or a regime-change campaign.

"While military assets dominate headlines, diplomacy is still in motion. The fact talks are continuing at all suggests both sides are still probing for a diplomatic off-ramp before tensions harden further."

Shares in Jakarta slipped even after Trump and Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto reached a trade deal after months of wrangling.

The accord sets a 19 percent tariff on Indonesian goods entering the United States. The Southeast Asian country had been threatened with a potential 32 percent levy before the pact.

Jakarta also agreed to $33 billion in purchases of US energy commodities, agricultural products and aviation-related goods, including Boeing aircraft.


Third ‘Mirkaz AlBalad AlAmeen Platform’ to Open in Makkah on Sunday 

A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)
A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)
TT

Third ‘Mirkaz AlBalad AlAmeen Platform’ to Open in Makkah on Sunday 

A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)
A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)

The third edition of the “Mirkaz ABalad AlAmeen”, a leading platform for exchanging opportunities in Makkah, will kick off on Sunday, under the theme “Makkah Inspires the World.”

The platform, organized by the Holy Makkah Municipality, will feature 15 exceptional Ramadan evenings focused on dialogue, knowledge exchange, and cross-sector engagement.

Makkah Mayor Musad Aldaood said the platform redefines development from Makkah, where faith meets inspiration and values are transformed into a comprehensive civilizational experience.

He noted that the initiative reflects the ambitions of Saudi Vision 2030 and showcases Makkah to the world as a living model of creativity, leadership, and innovation.

The upcoming edition will host more than 65 speakers, including executive leaders and decision-makers from across all three sectors, alongside futurists, entrepreneurs, and leading voices in culture and inspiration from artists, writers, media professionals, and innovators.

The program targets 12 key sectors: technology and digital transformation, financial investment, communications and media, real estate development, transport and logistics, banking services, youth and sports, tourism and culture, hospitality and catering, Hajj and Umrah, the third sector, and healthcare.