Iran Cleric Who Founded Hezbollah Dies from Covid

Ali Akbar Mohtashamipour. (AP)
Ali Akbar Mohtashamipour. (AP)
TT

Iran Cleric Who Founded Hezbollah Dies from Covid

Ali Akbar Mohtashamipour. (AP)
Ali Akbar Mohtashamipour. (AP)

Ali Akbar Mohtashamipour, a Shiite cleric who as Iran's ambassador to Syria helped found the Lebanese militant party Hezbollah and lost his right hand to a book bombing reportedly carried out by Israel, died Monday of the coronavirus. He was 74.

A close ally of Iran's late Supreme Leader Khomeini, Mohtashamipour in the 1970s formed alliances with militant groups across the Middle East. After the Iranian revolution, he helped found the paramilitary Revolutionary Guard in Iran and as ambassador to Syria brought the force into the region to help form Hezbollah.

In his later years, he slowly joined the cause of reformists in Iran, hoping to change Iran’s theocracy from the inside. He backed the opposition leaders Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mahdi Karroubi in Iran's Green Movement protests that followed the disputed 2009 re-election of then-President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

“If the whole people become aware, avoid violent measures and continue their civil confrontation with that, they will win,” Mohtashamipour said at the time, though Ahmadinejad ultimately would remain in office. “No power can stand up to people’s will.”

Mohtashamipour died at a hospital in northern Tehran after contracting the virus, the state-run IRNA news agency reported. The cleric had been living in the city of Najaf, Iraq, over the last 10 years after the disputed election in Iran.

Hardline judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi, now considered the leading candidate in Iran's presidential election next week, offered condolences to Mohtashamipour's family.

“The deceased was one of the holy warriors on the way to the liberation of Jerusalem and one of the pioneers in the fight against the usurping Zionist regime,” Raisi said, according to IRNA.

Born in Tehran in 1947, Mohtashamipour met Khomeini as the cleric remained in exile in Najaf after being expelled from Iran by Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. In the 1970s, he crisscrossed the Middle East speaking to militants groups at the time, helping form an alliance between post-revolution Iran and the Palestinian Liberation Organization as it battled Israel.

Once arrested by Iraq, Mohtashamipour found his way to Khomeini's residence in exile outside of Paris. They returned triumphant to Iran amid the 1979 revolution.

In 1982, Khomeini deployed Mohtashamipour to Syria, then under the rule of Hafez Assad. While ostensibly a diplomat, Mohtashamipour oversaw the millions that poured in to fund the Guard's operations in the region.

Lebanon, then dominated by Syria, which deployed tens of thousands of troops there, found itself invaded by Israel in 1982 as Israel pursued the PLO in Lebanon. Iranian support flowed into the Shiite communities occupied by Israel. That helped create a new militant group called Hezbollah.

The US blames Hezbollah for the 1983 bombing of the US Embassy in Beirut that killed 63 people, as well as the later bombing of the US Marine barracks in the Lebanese capital that killed 241 US troops and another attack that killed 58 French paratroopers. Hezbollah and Iran have denied being involved.

“The court finds that it is beyond question that Hezbollah and its agents received massive material and technical support from the Iranian government,” wrote US District Judge Royce Lamberth in 2003.

Lamberth's opinion, quoting a US Navy intelligence official, directly named Mohtashamipour as being told by Tehran to reach out to the nascent Hezbollah to “instigate attacks against the multinational coalition in Lebanon, and ‘to take a spectacular action against the United States Marines.’”

An IRNA obituary of Mohtashamipour only described him as “one of the founders of Hezbollah in Lebanon” and blamed Israel for the bombing that wounded him. It did not discuss the US allegations about his involvement in the suicide bombings targeting Americans.

At the time of the assassination attempt on him, Israel's Mossad intelligence agency had received approval from then-Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir to pursue Mohtashamipour, according to “Rise and Kill First,” a book on Israeli assassinations by journalist Ronen Bergman. They chose to send a bomb hidden inside a book described as a “magnificent volume in English about Shiite holy places in Iran and Iraq” on Valentine's Day in 1984, Bergman wrote.

The bomb exploded when Mohtashamipour opened the book, tearing away his right hand and two fingers on his left hand. But he survived, later becoming Iran's interior minister and serving as a hardline lawmaker in parliament before joining reformists in 2009.



US Military Boards Iranian-flagged Oil Tanker Suspected of Trying to Breach Blockade

FILE PHOTO: Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/File Photo
TT

US Military Boards Iranian-flagged Oil Tanker Suspected of Trying to Breach Blockade

FILE PHOTO: Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/File Photo

The US military said Wednesday that it boarded an Iranian-flagged oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman that was suspected of trying to violate the American blockade, the latest action by the Trump administration to try to push Tehran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz.

But President Donald Trump is facing his own pressure at home for shipping to resume through the vital corridor off Iran's coast. Fellow Republicans in Congress are battling political headwinds ahead of November's midterm elections as gasoline prices skyrocket and global energy markets churn.

Meanwhile, the Senate on Tuesday advanced legislation seeking to force Trump to withdraw from the Iran war, with a growing number of Republicans defying the president in the 50-47 vote.

US Central Command said on social media that the M/T Celestial Sea was searched and redirected after being suspected of trying to head to an Iranian port. It’s at least the fifth commercial vessel to be boarded since the Trump administration imposed the blockade on Iranian shipping in mid-April, several days into a ceasefire, to pressure Tehran into opening the strait and accepting a deal to end the war.

The military boarded the tanker after Trump said Monday he had called off renewed military strikes on Iran in an effort to make progress in negotiations to end the war. Trump said he had planned “a very major attack” for Tuesday but put it off, saying America’s allies in the Gulf asked him to wait for two to three days because they feel they are close to a deal.

Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off.

Before the US blockade, Tehran had allowed some ships perceived as friendly to pass while charging considerable fees, leading to accusations it is holding the global economy hostage.

The US military recently said that 1,550 vessels, from 87 countries, are currently stranded in the Arabian Gulf.

Nearly three months since the war began with US and Israeli airstrikes on Feb. 28, Iran maintains a chokehold on the strait, while the US military has enforced its blockade on Iran's ports as well as Iranian-linked ships that are far away from the Middle East.

Last month, US forces boarded an oil tanker previously sanctioned for smuggling Iranian crude oil in the Bay of Bengal in the Indian Ocean. A couple days later, the US seized another tanker associated with smuggling Iranian oil in the Indian Ocean between Sri Lanka and Indonesia.

In early May, Trump said the US military would begin to “guide” stranded ships from the Iran-gripped strait. The next day, he announced that the effort to protect ships was paused to see if an agreement could be reached.

Days later, US forces fired on and disabled two Iranian oil tankers after exchanging fire with Iranian forces in the Strait of Hormuz. The US military said the tankers were trying to breach the blockade. The day before, the military said it thwarted Iranian attacks on three Navy ships and struck Iranian military facilities in response.


Taiwan President Says 'Happy' to Talk to Trump

Taiwanese President delivers his speech inside the Presidential Office Building in Taipei, Taiwan, 20 May 2026. EPA/RITCHIE B. TONGO
Taiwanese President delivers his speech inside the Presidential Office Building in Taipei, Taiwan, 20 May 2026. EPA/RITCHIE B. TONGO
TT

Taiwan President Says 'Happy' to Talk to Trump

Taiwanese President delivers his speech inside the Presidential Office Building in Taipei, Taiwan, 20 May 2026. EPA/RITCHIE B. TONGO
Taiwanese President delivers his speech inside the Presidential Office Building in Taipei, Taiwan, 20 May 2026. EPA/RITCHIE B. TONGO

Taiwan's President Lai Ching-te said Thursday he would be "happy" to talk to US leader Donald Trump -- a conversation that would break more than four decades of diplomatic protocol and risk angering China.

Trump told reporters on Wednesday that he would speak to Lai, as the White House weighs arms sales to the democratic island.

It was the second time since a summit in Beijing last week that Trump has said he would call the Taiwanese leader.

Such communication would be the first time since Washington switched diplomatic relations from Taipei to Beijing in 1979 that serving presidents of Taiwan and the United States would speak to each other.

Lai said Taiwan was "committed to maintaining the stable status quo in the Taiwan Strait" and that "China is the disruptor of peace and stability", the foreign ministry said in a statement.

Lai would be "happy to discuss these matters with President Trump", the statement said.

"I'll speak to him. I speak to everybody," Trump said, adding that he had a great meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping during his state visit to Beijing last week.

"We'll work on that, the Taiwan problem," Trump said.

After wrapping up his trip to Beijing, Trump suggested arms sales to Taiwan could be used as a bargaining chip with China, which claims the island is part of its territory and has threatened to seize it by force.

Since then, Lai's government has been on the offensive, insisting that US policy on Taiwan has not changed and that Trump made no commitments to China on arms sales to the island.

Taiwan relies heavily on US support to deter any potential Chinese attack, and has been under intense pressure to increase its spending through investment in American firms.

In 2016, shortly after his first election victory, president-elect Trump accepted a phone call from then Taiwanese president Tsai Ing-wen, angering Beijing and stunning diplomats, world leaders and China watchers.


Two Dead after Drone Attack on Syzran in Russia's Samara Region

Firefighters work at the site of private houses damaged during morning Russian drone strikes, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, Kharkiv, Ukraine May 19, 2026. Press service of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine/Handout via REUTERS
Firefighters work at the site of private houses damaged during morning Russian drone strikes, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, Kharkiv, Ukraine May 19, 2026. Press service of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine/Handout via REUTERS
TT

Two Dead after Drone Attack on Syzran in Russia's Samara Region

Firefighters work at the site of private houses damaged during morning Russian drone strikes, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, Kharkiv, Ukraine May 19, 2026. Press service of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine/Handout via REUTERS
Firefighters work at the site of private houses damaged during morning Russian drone strikes, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, Kharkiv, Ukraine May 19, 2026. Press service of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine/Handout via REUTERS

Two people were killed in a drone attack on the town of Syzran in Russia's Samara region on the Volga River, the local governor said, while Ukraine also reported two dead as the two sides exchanged attacks overnight. A large oil refinery is located in Syzran, some 1,000 km (620 miles) from the border with Ukraine. The Samara governor, Vyacheslav Fedorishchev, made ‌no mention of ‌whether any infrastructure was damaged in ‌his ⁠post on Telegram.

Elsewhere ⁠in Russia, three people were injured in a drone attack in and around the town of Shebekino in Russia's Belgorod region bordering Ukraine, authorities said on Telegram.

In Ukraine, two were killed after Russia hit the Chernihiv region ⁠on the Russian border and the ‌southeastern Dnipropetrovsk region, emergency ‌services said on Telegram, with a number of people ‌injured.

Reuters could not independently verify the reports. ‌Russia and Ukraine deny deliberately targeting civilians.

Peace efforts to end the war that began with Russia's 2022 invasion of Ukraine have stalled and both sides ‌exchange regular attacks on each other, including strikes on energy infrastructure. Ukrainian President Volodymyr ⁠Zelenskiy, in ⁠an overnight address, said there has recently been productive contact with the US, which has tried to mediate talks to end the war.

"If, in the coming weeks, we manage to return to meaningful trilateral communication and involve the Europeans, this would be the right outcome," Zelenskiy said.

"For our part, we are ready for such steps. I count on our partners to be ready as well – and that the Russians will not hide."