Turkey Shuts Down Muslim Brotherhood TV Channel

A Turkish flag with the Bosphorus Bridge in the background, flies on a passenger ferry in Istanbul, Turkey September 30, 2020. (Reuters)
A Turkish flag with the Bosphorus Bridge in the background, flies on a passenger ferry in Istanbul, Turkey September 30, 2020. (Reuters)
TT

Turkey Shuts Down Muslim Brotherhood TV Channel

A Turkish flag with the Bosphorus Bridge in the background, flies on a passenger ferry in Istanbul, Turkey September 30, 2020. (Reuters)
A Turkish flag with the Bosphorus Bridge in the background, flies on a passenger ferry in Istanbul, Turkey September 30, 2020. (Reuters)

Muslim Brotherhood media platforms that broadcast from Turkey are facing obstacles after the website of the el-Sharq channel was shut down.

Observers said the site was closed while no explanations were provided. However, experts in fundamentalist movements in Egypt suggested that the reason for the closure is criticisms directed at Cairo, despite Ankara's warnings, amid efforts to normalize relations between the two countries.

Ayman Nour, the channel owner, announced that the channel's website had been suddenly closed, accusing "unidentified people and piracy companies" of closing the site and hacking his phone.

According to an expert on fundamentalist affairs in Egypt, Khaled al-Zafarani, Turkey is taking accelerated steps towards rapprochement with Egypt, suggesting that the Turkish authorities closed the site.

Several measures have been taken regarding channels and journalists loyal to the Brotherhood who were previously warned not to attack Egypt, said Zafarani.

Last June, media professionals in pro-Brotherhood channels operating from Ankara announced that Turkish officials asked the media to "completely stop" their broadcast via satellite or social media platforms.

Zafarani told Asharq Al-Awsat that Turkey has taken previous steps against channels supporting the organization and will take other steps in the future.

He noted that elements loyal to the organization are worried about their presence in Turkey, especially with the rapprochement with Egypt.

Expert on fundamentalist affairs in Egypt, Ahmad Ban told Asharq Al-Awsat that disagreements between London and Istanbul leaders would increase division.

Some elements in Turkey are still insulting Cairo through their channels, websites, and social media pages, despite warnings from Ankara.

Last April, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry avoided questions about Egypt's request to shut down pro-Brotherhood channels.

Shoukry said that Turkey's suspension of those channels is a "positive development."

He said this shows Ankara's interest in moving to a phase of political openness, which he hopes will lead to further positive action.

Egypt and Turkey held their first rounds of exploratory talks in Cairo last May, which representatives of the two countries described as "frank and in-depth." The second was in Ankara last September.

The two parties agreed to continue consultations and affirmed their desire to progress.

Last October, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said that the dialogue between Ankara and Cairo has been ongoing since efforts kicked off to mend ties.



Iran's Qalibaf Says Tehran Must Plan to Overcome 'Unjust Sanctions', Following US Threats

Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
TT

Iran's Qalibaf Says Tehran Must Plan to Overcome 'Unjust Sanctions', Following US Threats

Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)

Iranian parliament speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said ‌Iran ‌must plan ‌to ⁠overcome the "unjust sanctions", ⁠after US Treasury Secretary ⁠Scott ‌Bessent announced ‌what he described ‌as ‌the toughest sanctions ‌ever imposed on Iran, according ⁠to ⁠Qalibaf's channel on Telegram.

Bessent said the United States will impose "the toughest sanctions in history" on Iran, a move he suggested would lessen the need for new major military operations, reported Reuters.

Bessent's comments on Thursday followed President Donald Trump's threat a day earlier of "Economic Warfare" and warning of economic consequences against any country that provided "any type ‌of lifeline to Iran." Bessent promised details next week.

Iran has weathered near-continuous, punishing economic sanctions for nearly 50 years, since the Iranian Revolution of 1979.

Before Bessent spoke, Iran's foreign ministry said it condemned US economic and trade sanctions, calling them "economic terrorism" that would not "create even the slightest hesitation in Iranians’ determination to safeguard Iran’s independence, dignity and national sovereignty."

Bessent told CNBC he would share more details on the latest package and "talk about exactly what we're going to do" on Iran at a press conference on Monday.


China Says US ‘Sanctions and Pressure’ on Iran Not a Solution

 Women walk past a portrait of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, who was killed in the US and Israel strike on Feb. 28, and images of the Iranian flag, on a sidewalk in downtown Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (AP)
Women walk past a portrait of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, who was killed in the US and Israel strike on Feb. 28, and images of the Iranian flag, on a sidewalk in downtown Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (AP)
TT

China Says US ‘Sanctions and Pressure’ on Iran Not a Solution

 Women walk past a portrait of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, who was killed in the US and Israel strike on Feb. 28, and images of the Iranian flag, on a sidewalk in downtown Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (AP)
Women walk past a portrait of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, who was killed in the US and Israel strike on Feb. 28, and images of the Iranian flag, on a sidewalk in downtown Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (AP)

China said on Friday that US "sanctions and pressure" would not resolve the Middle East conflict, after Washington urged governments including Beijing to join efforts to isolate the Iranian economy.

The United States has vowed it would "collapse" the Iranian regime with its threatened campaign, which Tehran has branded as "economic terrorism" doomed to fail, nearly six months since their war began.

Asked about US President Donald Trump's threats, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lin Jian told reporters on Friday that "sanctions and pressure will not help resolve the issue".

"China calls on all relevant parties to take responsible measures and resolve the problem through political and diplomatic means," he said.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has defended Trump's push for economic pressure on Tehran.

When asked whether the United States would pressure China to join the campaign, Bessent told CNBC that "many conversations are best to have in private", but called on Beijing "to get with the program".

Spokesman Lin reiterated the need for all parties to take "responsible measures" in resolving the war, when he was asked about Bessent's comments.

"China opposes illegal unilateral sanctions that have no basis in international law and are not authorized by the UN Security Council," Lin said.


Poland ‘Very Disappointed’ After Israel Drops Probe into Killing of Polish Citizen

People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Poland ‘Very Disappointed’ After Israel Drops Probe into Killing of Polish Citizen

People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Poland's foreign ministry ‌said it was "very disappointed" and had summoned Israel's ambassador in Warsaw after Israel decided not to pursue criminal proceedings over an attack on a volunteer convoy in Gaza in 2024 in which a Polish citizen was killed.

Damian Sobol, a volunteer from Przemysl in southeastern Poland, was among seven people working for celebrity chef Jose Andres' World Central Kitchen who were killed in the airstrike in central Gaza in April 2024, ‌which caused ‌an international outcry.

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs ‌of ⁠the Republic of ⁠Poland is very disappointed to receive the information provided on August 19, 2026, about the discontinuation of the proceedings," the ministry said in a statement late on Thursday.

It said the Israeli Ambassador in Warsaw had been summoned to the ministry.

"The Polish side provided ⁠a critical assessment of the actions taken ‌to date to clarify ‌the causes and course of the tragedy, informed that a ‌parallel investigation is being conducted by the District ‌Prosecutor's Office in Przemysl," it said.

It also "expressed its expectation that the Israeli side will provide the relevant Polish authorities with all necessary explanations and materials requested by Polish investigators."

Deputy Foreign ‌Minister Ignacy Niemczycki told public radio PR1 on Friday that "we consider this a ⁠surprising ⁠decision."

"We believe that the use of force must be proportionate, and that inappropriate use of force should have consequences, so we expect clarification on this matter," he said.

Australia also summoned Israel's ambassador in Canberra on Thursday after an Australian citizen was killed in the airstrike.

More than 73,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks since the start of the Gaza war in 2023.

Israel's military says its attacks target Hamas fighters. It has said it opens investigations into some attacks involving civilian deaths.