Hurricane Ian Death Toll Climbs to 83, Officials Defend Response

Police officers guard the Matanzas pass between San Carlos Island and Fort Myers Beach after the pass of the hurricane Ian in Fort Myers Beach, Florida, US, 02 October 2022. (EPA)
Police officers guard the Matanzas pass between San Carlos Island and Fort Myers Beach after the pass of the hurricane Ian in Fort Myers Beach, Florida, US, 02 October 2022. (EPA)
TT

Hurricane Ian Death Toll Climbs to 83, Officials Defend Response

Police officers guard the Matanzas pass between San Carlos Island and Fort Myers Beach after the pass of the hurricane Ian in Fort Myers Beach, Florida, US, 02 October 2022. (EPA)
Police officers guard the Matanzas pass between San Carlos Island and Fort Myers Beach after the pass of the hurricane Ian in Fort Myers Beach, Florida, US, 02 October 2022. (EPA)

The death toll from Hurricane Ian climbed past 80 on Sunday as embattled residents in Florida and the Carolinas faced a recovery expected to cost tens of billions of dollars, and some officials faced criticism over their response to the storm.

The death toll was expected to keep rising as floodwaters receded and search teams pushed farther into areas initially cut off from the outside world. Hundreds of people have been rescued as emergency workers sifted through homes and buildings inundated with water or completely washed away.

At least 85 storm-related deaths have been confirmed since Ian crashed ashore Florida's Gulf Coast with catastrophic force on Wednesday as a Category 4 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 150 miles per hour (240 km per hour).

Florida accounted for all but four of the fatalities, with 42 tallied by the sheriff's office in coastal Lee County, which bore the brunt of the storm when it made landfall, and 39 other deaths reported by officials in four neighboring counties.

Officials in Lee County, which includes Fort Myers and Cape Coral and is on the Gulf Coast, have faced questions over whether they mandated evacuations in time.

Cecil Pendergrass, chairman of the county's board of commissioners, said on Sunday that once the county was forecast to be in the cone, or the probable track of the hurricane's center, evacuation orders were given. Even then, some people chose to ride the storm out, Pendergrass said.

"I respect their choices," he said at a press conference. "But I'm sure a lot of them regret it now."

President Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden will see the devastation in Florida firsthand on Wednesday, the White House said in a statement on Saturday. The Bidens will visit Puerto Rico on Monday, where hundreds of thousands of people were still without power two weeks after Hurricane Fiona hit the island.

Cuba is restoring power after Ian knocked out electricity to the whole country of 11 million people, flattened homes and obliterated agricultural fields.

North Carolina authorities said at least four people had been killed there. No deaths were immediately reported in South Carolina, where Ian made another US landfall on Friday.

Chugging over land since then, Ian has diminished into an ever-weakening post-tropical cyclone.

The National Hurricane Center forecast more heavy rainfall was possible across parts of West Virginia and western Maryland into Sunday morning, and "major to record flooding" in central Florida.

Washed away

As the full scope of devastation became clearer, officials said some of the heaviest damage was inflicted by wind-driven ocean surf that raged into seaside communities and washed buildings away.

Satellite images from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) showed beach cottages and a motel that lined the shores of Florida's Sanibel Island had been demolished by storm surges. Although most homes appeared to still be standing, roof damage to all was evident.

Surveys from the ground showed that the barrier island, a popular tourist getaway that was home to some 6,000, was devastated.

"It's all just completely gone," Sanibel's city manager, Dana Souza, said. "Our electric system is pretty much destroyed, our sewer system has been damaged badly and our public water supply is under assessment."

The island's link to the mainland was severed by breaches to its causeway bridge, further complicating recovery efforts, Souza said.

After waning to a tropical storm by the end of its march across Florida to the Atlantic, Ian regained hurricane strength and pummeled coastal South Carolina on Friday, sweeping ashore near Georgetown, north of the historic port city of Charleston.

Numerous roads were flooded and blocked by fallen trees while a number of piers were damaged in that area.

More than 700,000 businesses and homes remained without power on Sunday afternoon in Florida alone, where more than 2 million customers lost electricity the first night of the storm.

Insurers braced for between $28 billion and $47 billion in claims from what could amount to the costliest Florida storm since Hurricane Andrew in 1992, according to US property data and analytics company CoreLogic.



Iran Negotiator Ghalibaf Says Hormuz Will Not Open until US Meets Demands

Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
TT

Iran Negotiator Ghalibaf Says Hormuz Will Not Open until US Meets Demands

Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)

Iran's top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said on Tuesday that the strategic Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the United States meets Tehran's demands, including lifting a naval blockade.

"I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding... are implemented," Ghalibaf said in a speech broadcast on state television.

He listed the removal of the blockade, the lifting of oil sanctions and unfreezing of Iran's assets abroad among the demands, which were included in an Iran-US truce in June that later collapsed, reported AFP.

War between Iran and the United States broke out on February 28 after US-Israeli attacks on the Iranian republic, triggering a conflict across the region.

Diplomatic efforts have since April 8 put an end to intense bombardments, but sporadic clashes have persisted, especially in and around the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran has kept control of the strait, a vital global energy conduit, since the war broke out, requiring vessels to seek permission and pay transit service fees -- a move opposed by Washington and several regional countries.

Iran and Oman, both coastal states on Hormuz, have for weeks been discussing the future of navigation through the strait, with Tehran saying the geographical coordinates of the route envisaged by both countries "have been agreed upon".

On Monday, Iran said that talks were "continuing in a serious manner" and views were being exchanged on the text of a "joint statement".

US President Donald Trump called for Tehran to surrender in a war that has become a growing political burden at home.

Ghalibaf during his speech said Iran was "ready to inflict an even more crushing defeat on the enemy, proportionate to its actions and advances".


Firefighters Push to ‘Encircle’ Belgian Wildfire

 Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Firefighters Push to ‘Encircle’ Belgian Wildfire

 Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Firefighters launched a potentially decisive push Tuesday to encircle Belgium's largest wildfire in a century, despite wind and rain hampering air support operations over the High Fens nature reserve.

The blaze charring the vast expanse of boggy peatlands, pine trees and hiking trails grew over the weekend to half the size of Manhattan -- 3,000 hectares (7,500 acres) -- with hundreds of firefighters working night and day to wrestle it under control.

"We are trying to definitively encircle the fire today," regional government spokesperson Nicolas Yernaux told AFP.

In areas where firefighters could operate, he confirmed the fire was "under control and contained."

But a hard-to-access front towards the German border remains a concern -- with residents in the border town of Monschau already under evacuation orders due to the smoke hazard.

Firefighters worked through the night to make a crucial link-up between the eastern and northern fronts, under very difficult access conditions.

"We're talking about one or two kilometers, and we're on the verge of achieving it," Yernaux told AFP, despite "sustained winds" blowing towards the German border.

Water-bombing aircraft from several countries have been deployed -- with two Norwegian helicopters the latest to fly in on Monday night -- but they have been repeatedly grounded by low cloud and rain. There are also aircraft from Germany, Sweden and the Netherlands.

Yernaux said it was unclear given weather conditions when they would be able to take off again.

"There may be windows of opportunity this morning, but it may not be before tonight."

A huge area has been blanketed by a thick plume of yellowish smoke, with fumes detected as far as eastern France, where authorities issued an air-pollution alert.

The smoke triggered evacuations in one Belgian village and two hamlets of a second -- with residents of the hamlet of Sourbrodt given the green light to return home on Monday night.

- As long as it takes -

Europe has been swept by weeks of devastating wildfires fueled by dry conditions and a historically hot summer, with France, Greece, Portugal and Spain also battling major fires.

The High Fens blaze broke out in an area that was ravaged by massive fires in 1911, during a similar period of heatwaves.

It is the country's largest wildfire since.

During a visit on site with King Philippe on Monday, Belgium's interior minister Bernard Quintin told media it could take "several weeks" of soaking and dousing the area to prevent the fire from reigniting -- even once brought under control.

On-site operations have been made much harder by the fens' terrain -- a patchwork of heath, peat bogs and raised wooden boardwalks where heavy vehicles risk sinking into the ground -- and firefighters struggle to tackle the fire at close range.

They have been counting heavily on aerial assistance to bring the situation under control.

Local farmers have also poured in to help, working shifts to oversee a ballet of tractors pulling in tankers of water from a nearby lake.

"We'll take it in turns as long as it needs -- the team is all set," a farmer from nearby Waremme, told AFP Monday. "We'll keep going until the finish line."

Like much of Europe, Belgium has experienced a new spell of intense heat and drought in recent days.

Temperatures reached as high as 37C in some parts of the country last week, creating conditions conducive to wildfire outbreaks.


Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
TT

Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)

Japan's defense minister said Tuesday that cooperation between his country, the United States and South Korea was "critical", after US President Donald Trump scaled back military drills with Seoul, said AFP.

"As Japan faces the most severe and complicated security environment in the post-war era, the cooperation among Japan, the United States and South Korea is critical to the peace and stability of the region," Shinjiro Koizumi said in Australia after talks with his counterpart Richard Marles.