Yemeni Minister: Houthis Holding 2 UN Humanitarian Workers Since 2021

Aid is distributed in the Yemeni governorate of Al-Jawf. (United Nations)
Aid is distributed in the Yemeni governorate of Al-Jawf. (United Nations)
TT
20

Yemeni Minister: Houthis Holding 2 UN Humanitarian Workers Since 2021

Aid is distributed in the Yemeni governorate of Al-Jawf. (United Nations)
Aid is distributed in the Yemeni governorate of Al-Jawf. (United Nations)

Yemen’s Minister of Legal Affairs and Human Rights Ahmed Arman confirmed Tuesday that the Iran-backed Houthi militias have been detaining two UN humanitarian workers since 2021

One works for the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNHCR) and the other in the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), Arman told the Arab World Press (AWP)

“We are working with the United Nations to resolve this major problem,” he said, while denying that any international workers have been harassed or detained in government-held regions.

Moreover, he accused the Houthis of obstructing the work of UN and international organizations, saying they are being harassed, threatened and arbitrarily detained.

Arman said the Houthis often harass or detain aid workers for failing to comply with the militias’ orders or over differences with Houthi “supervisors”.

The Houthis accuse the workers of adopting “ideologies that contradict theirs,” he added.

In addition, some workers have even been barred from entering Sanaa, which is held by the militias, he revealed.

Since December 2021 to this day, they have prevented more than 15 international foreign workers, including representative of the UNHCR in Yemen, from entering Sanaa, he said.

Last week, Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen David Gressly called on all Yemeni parties to ensure the protection of humanitarian workers.

He said continuing misinformation and disinformation campaigns are adding to the challenges of aid workers.

On the occasion of World Humanitarian Day celebrated on August 19, the official said violence against aid workers and their restricted movements are a stark reminder about the challenges and dangers humanitarians face in Yemen.

Last month, World Food Program staff Moayad Hameidi was shot and killed by unknown gunmen in Turbah, Taiz in southwest Yemen.

Arman criticized the “soft” approach adopted by the UN in handling the harassment faced by humanitarian workers in Houthi-held regions.

He remarked that had the Yemeni government been accused of arresting the workers or impeding their work, “we would have seen a different position, but when it comes to the Houthis, they are soft and seek appeasement.”

Last week, US Representative to the UN Linda Thomas-Greenfield said those who attack and kill humanitarian workers must be held accountable.

“Houthi attacks are exacerbating the humanitarian crisis. We strongly condemn these senseless attacks, which impede much-needed oil export avenues that fund basic services,” she said.



UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
TT
20

UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel

British counter-terrorism police said on Thursday they had arrested two men accused of being linked to the banned group Hezbollah, saying their investigation involved alleged activity both overseas and in Britain.

Detectives from London's Counter Terrorism Command (CTC) arrested a 39-year-old man in north London on suspicion of being a member of a proscribed group, preparing acts of terrorism and being involved in funding for the purposed of terrorism, Reuters said.

A second man, 35, was arrested in west London on suspicion of being a member of a banned organization.

"Our investigation remains ongoing, but I hope that these arrests show we will take robust action against anyone here whom we suspect as being involved in terrorist activity regardless of whether their activity is focused here in the UK or elsewhere," said commander Dominic Murphy, head of the CTC.

Police said the investigation related to the Iran-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah which Britain outlawed in 2019 when it classified it as a terrorist group. There was no immediate threat to the public, they said.

The two men were released on police bail until mid-July.