Iranian President Criticizes Azerbaijan for Establishing Relations with Israel

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Monday received Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov in Tehran (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Monday received Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov in Tehran (Iranian Presidency)
TT

Iranian President Criticizes Azerbaijan for Establishing Relations with Israel

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Monday received Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov in Tehran (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Monday received Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov in Tehran (Iranian Presidency)

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Monday criticized Azerbaijan for establishing relations with Israel, in an indirect hint at Baku’s appointment of its first ever ambassador to Israel last March.

The president made the remarks in a meeting in Tehran with Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov who is on a visit to the Iranian capital for the Second round of the 3+3 Regional Platform Meeting dubbed Time for Peace, Cooperation, and Progress in the South Caucasus.

“The Zionist regime is neither your friend, nor the friend of any other Muslim country,” Raisi said, adding that the situation in Gaza is an image before all the regional countries to see that the Westerners, especially the US, are not friends of regional countries and rather seek their racist interests.

Tensions between Tehran and Baku escalated for a month after Azerbaijan improved its diplomatic relations with Iran’s arch-enemy Israel, and opened an embassy in Israel in late March, despite Iran’s objections.

Iran had also accused Azerbaijan and the Iraqi Kurdistan Region of being behind attacks on its military and nuclear facilities. It said the assaults carried Israeli prints.

In July, Israeli Foreign Minister Eli Cohen accused Iran of planning an attempted attack on his country's embassy in Azerbaijan, where security apparatuses have arrested an Afghan citizen for plotting the attack against the embassy.

On Monday, the Iranian President said his country considers negotiation and dialogue between neighboring countries as a solution to regional issues.

Raisi said after meeting with Bayramov that problems of the region cannot be solved with the intervention of foreign forces.

Bayramov is on a visit to the Iranian capital for the Second round of the 3+3 Regional Platform Meeting, which was also attended by the foreign ministers of Russia, Türkiye and Armenia to discuss the South Caucasus region's issues. The Georgian minister did not attend.

IRNA said the meeting focused on the developments going on in the Caucasus region, as well as peace talks between Azerbaijan and Armenia.

Armenia and Azerbaijan have been at loggerheads over the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh.

Recently, the two countries recently signaled willingness to sign a peace treaty formally ending their conflict following Azerbaijan's victory in Karabakh and the exodus of almost all the region's 120,000 ethnic Armenians.

On Monday, Azerbaijan said it had begun a series of joint military exercises with close ally Türkiye, the first since Baku retook the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh last month.

Azerbaijan's defense ministry said in a statement that the drills were being held across Azerbaijan, including in Baku, the Nakhichevan exclave which borders Türkiye, and in what the ministry called the “liberated territories” of Karabakh.

It added that up to 3,000 military personnel were participating in exercises named for the founder of modern Türkiye, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

Türkiye, which supports Azerbaijan, and Russia, which is an ally of Armenia, play a major role in the region.

However, the latest attack on Karabakh has reshuffled the cards. Yerevan blamed Russia for failing to ensure Armenian security and to stop Azerbaijani forces, a claim that Moscow denies.

Yerevan fears that its wealthier, better-armed, and Turkish-backed neighbor may seek to bolster its influence by linking the Nakhchivan exclave to its territory after attacking southern Armenia.

Meanwhile, Armenia seems ready to resort to western countries to ensure its own protection.

“Iran, considering its powerful and influential position, is ready to help resolve the existing discords between Azerbaijan and Armenia,” Raisi told the Azerbaijani FM.

For his part, Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said, “The presence of outsiders in the region will not only fail to solve any problems but will also complicate the situation further.”

He added, “The war in South Caucasus has ended, and it is time for peace and cooperation.”

Meanwhile, Abdollahian referred to the recent developments in Gaza.

“What is happening in Gaza is a definite war crime committed by the Zionist entity against humanity,” he affirmed, calling on the international community to send a unified and strong message to the Israeli entity to stop war crimes against civilians immediately, lift the siege, send humanitarian aid, and oppose the forced displacement of the population of Gaza.



UK, Canada, Australia Slam Israel Ending Probe into Aid Worker Killings

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
TT

UK, Canada, Australia Slam Israel Ending Probe into Aid Worker Killings

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)

Britain, Canada, and Australia on Friday condemned as "shameful" Israel's decision to close an investigation into the death of seven aid workers killed in Gaza in 2024.

The World Central Kitchen employees -- three Britons, a dual US-Canadian national, a Pole, an Australian, and a Palestinian -- died in a drone strike on their vehicle convoy after overseeing the unloading of a food aid shipment.

Israel's military called the incident a "tragic mistake".

"In the more than two years since, we have been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account," the three nations said in a joint statement.

"The announcement by the Israeli army on 19 August 2026 that it would not pursue criminal investigations into this strike, without further explanation, is shameful," it said.

The incident in April 2024 sparked global outrage and renewed calls to ensure the safety of aid workers in Gaza.

"Announcing this decision on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honored the courage and sacrifice of humanitarians, was particularly egregious," the joint statement added.

The Israeli military acknowledged a series of errors at various levels of command, but a preliminary investigation concluded on Wednesday that there was no "reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct".

The US-based World Central Kitchen condemned the decision calling it "inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive".

It demanded an independent commission to investigate the airstrikes "because the Israeli army cannot credibly investigate its own conduct".

On Thursday, Australia expressed outrage at the closure of the investigation and summoned Israel's ambassador to the country.


Türkiye to Seek Interpol Notice for Netanyahu in Gaza Flotilla Case

16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
TT

Türkiye to Seek Interpol Notice for Netanyahu in Gaza Flotilla Case

16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa

Türkiye said on Friday it would seek an Interpol red notice for the arrest of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as part of a domestic criminal case linked to an attack on activists seeking to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza. 

NATO member Türkiye has been one of the fiercest critics of Israel's assault on Gaza and has previously issued domestic arrest warrants for Netanyahu over the war there. It has repeatedly called for international measures against Israel ‌over what Ankara calls ‌its violations of human rights and international law. Israel ‌denies ⁠those charges.  

In May, ⁠Israeli forces opened fire on at least two vessels from the Global Sumud Flotilla sailing towards Gaza as it was making a renewed attempt to deliver aid to the enclave after earlier missions were intercepted by Israel in international waters. 

In a post on X, Turkish Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said arrest warrants had been issued for Netanyahu and another suspect on charges that included genocide, crimes against humanity ⁠and torture as part of a case against 35 ‌people over the Israeli interception in international ‌waters. 

"In line with the arrest warrants issued against Benjamin Netanyahu ... our justice ministry has requested ‌that the interior ministry issue (Interpol) red notices for them so that they may ‌be sought internationally," Gurlek said. 

Türkiye will use all available legal mechanisms to ensure Israel is held accountable for its crimes in Gaza, he added. 

A red notice is a request to police forces worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition. 

Interpol ‌reviews requests submitted by member states before deciding whether to issue red notices. 

Asked about Gurlek's statement, Netanyahu's ⁠office said: "(Turkish ⁠President Tayyip) Erdogan's pathetic attempt to intimidate the leaders and soldiers of Israel, the only true democracy in the Middle East, will go nowhere."  

Türkiye and Israel also traded barbs this week over Syria, where Israel carried out airstrikes on an air base it said Turkish troops could be deployed to, drawing condemnation from Ankara and criticism from the United States.  

Syria has said there were no plans to deploy Turkish troops to the base. 

Ankara has said Israeli rhetoric against Türkiye and its actions in Syria are fueled by the approach of a parliamentary election in Israel in October. 


Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
TT

Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer

An airstrike Friday by Myanmar’s military on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar’s central Sagaing region killed 14 people who were taking part in a week-long meditation retreat, an opposition group and a resident said.

The attack is the latest in a series of frequent and deadly aerial strikes targeting armed pro-democracy forces and ethnic armed groups in the country. The strikes often cause civilian casualties.

The attack occurred Friday at 9 a.m. in Swel Le Oh village in Myaung township, about 75 kilometers (45 miles) west of Mandalay, the country’s second-largest city, according to Nway Oo, a spokesperson for the Civil Defence and Security Organization of Myaung Township, or CDSOM.

Nway Oo said 14 people, including three women, were killed and 20 others were wounded when a jet fighter dropped a bomb in the compound of the village’s monastery.

A villager who spoke on condition of anonymity also confirmed the death toll to The Associated Press. The villager said the jet fighter dropped two bombs 15 minutes apart, with the second bomb damaging a house near the monastery where more than 100 people were on a week-long retreat during Buddhist Lent.

The villager, who lost a relative in the airstrike, said that people fled to a nearby community after burying bodies of the victims.

Associated Press