Oman’s Elections: Resounding Loss for Women...Change Exceeded 64%

A press conference held by the members of the Supreme Elections Committee in the Sultanate of Oman (Asharq Al-Awsat)
A press conference held by the members of the Supreme Elections Committee in the Sultanate of Oman (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Oman’s Elections: Resounding Loss for Women...Change Exceeded 64%

A press conference held by the members of the Supreme Elections Committee in the Sultanate of Oman (Asharq Al-Awsat)
A press conference held by the members of the Supreme Elections Committee in the Sultanate of Oman (Asharq Al-Awsat)

The Shura Council elections in the Sultanate of Oman witnessed a significant change in the representatives of the Council for the tenth term, while women suffered a resounding loss, as no female candidate was able to win membership in the 90-member Council.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, Talal Al-Saadi, Secretary of the Electoral Commission, said that the voting turnout reached 65.88 percent and varied according to the governorates.

This is the second highest participation in elections in the Sultanate of Oman, after the Shura Council elections in 2011, which witnessed a record turnout of 76 percent.

The percentage of new deputies reached 64 percent, as 61 new candidates won in the elections. Al-Saadi said that the new council will elect a president and two deputies via internal electronic voting in November.

The members of the Council elected in the tenth session represent 63 states. 843 candidates, including 32 women, competed in these elections, according to the final lists of candidates. The total number of voters who registered for the elections reached 753,690 voters, of whom 496,279 male and female voters actually participated, a rate of 65.88 percent.

The voting took place without papers or boxes, using an updated version of an electronic platform, which was inaugurated for the first time in 2019.

The Oman Telecommunications Company confirmed that the protective systems are working with high efficiency and that no attempts at cyber-attacks have been recorded.

Sheikh Al-Mukhtar bin Abdullah Al-Harithi, Deputy President of the Supreme Court and Chairman of the Supreme Committee for Electing Members of the Shura Council for the Tenth Term, said that no appeals had been registered in the elections, while complaints received were being investigated.

Although women constituted 48 percent of the total number of voters, no female candidate could win a seat in the council. The law in Oman has granted women the right to practice political work, since the elections of Council’s second term (1994-1997). Back then, two female candidates were elected, as in the elections that followed.

However, women’s chances did not improve. In the previous council, only two female candidates won the electoral race, while the previous council included only one woman.

The Omani Shura Council, which was established in 1991 as a substitute for a consultative council established in 1981, is elected for a four-year term and has the powers to review, propose and amend the state’s public and economic policies.

The council, however, does not interfere in matters related to defense, internal security, and foreign policy. The elected council, together with the appointed State Council, forms the “Council of Oman”.



Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
TT

Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)

The Iraqi Foreign Ministry expressed on Monday its "grave concern" over drone attacks that targeted Saudi Arabia on Sunday, stressing its categorical rejection of any assault against the Kingdom.

Late Sunday, Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted and destroyed three drones that entered from Iraqi airspace, adding that it "reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place."

In a statement, the Iraqi ministry underscored the "depth of the brotherly and historic bonds that bind Iraq and Saudi Arabia."

It also underlined Baghdad’s constant keenness on bolstering bilateral cooperation in various fields.

Authorities have opened an investigation "to determine the circumstances surrounding" Sunday’s incident, it added.

The country's air defense systems had not detected any drones launched from its territory toward Saudi Arabia, it went on to say.

The ministry urged Riyadh "to cooperate and share relevant information to help ensure accurate information that strengthen security and stability in both brotherly countries."

It stressed "Iraq’s firm position in respecting the security, safety and sovereignty of fraternal countries, rejecting any acts that undermine their stability, threaten their national security and harm bilateral relations."

No Iraqi group has claimed responsibility for the drones.

After the United States and Israel attacked Iran on February 28, and before a ceasefire was announced, Tehran-backed Iraqi groups intervened in support of Iran and struck US facilities in Iraq and the wider region, including Gulf countries.

Last month, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Jordan issued a joint statement demanding that Baghdad act immediately to prevent attacks from its territory by Iran-backed armed groups.

Iraq has repeatedly said it does not allow its territory to be used in attacks against other countries.


MWL Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

The Muslim World League (MWL) logo
The Muslim World League (MWL) logo
TT

MWL Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

The Muslim World League (MWL) logo
The Muslim World League (MWL) logo

The Muslim World League (MWL) strongly condemned the drone attack on Saudi Arabia launched from Iraqi airspace and commended the high efficiency demonstrated in intercepting and neutralizing the drones, SPA reported.

In a statement issued by the MWL General Secretariat, Secretary-General and Chairman of the Organization of Muslim Scholars Sheikh Dr. Mohammed Al-Issa denounced the criminal attacks, which violate all religious values, international laws, and humanitarian norms.

On behalf of the MWL councils, bodies, and global assemblies, and in the name of Islamic peoples under its umbrella, he reaffirmed full solidarity with the Kingdom in all measures it takes to protect its security, stability, and the safety of its people.


UAE Strongly Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT
File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT
TT

UAE Strongly Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT
File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) strongly condemned the drone attack on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia launched from Iraqi airspace, describing it as an unacceptable act of aggression, a violation of the Kingdom’s sovereignty, and a threat to its security and the security of the region, SPA reported.

In a statement issued Monday, the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs reaffirmed the country's full solidarity with Saudi Arabia and its support for all measures taken to preserve its security, sovereignty, and the safety of its citizens and residents.