European Parliament Condemns Iran Abuses Against Women

European Parliament condemns Iran (dpa)
European Parliament condemns Iran (dpa)
TT
20

European Parliament Condemns Iran Abuses Against Women

European Parliament condemns Iran (dpa)
European Parliament condemns Iran (dpa)

The European Parliament on Thursday condemned what it said were Iran's rights abuses against women, including “brutal murders.”

In the joint resolution adopted by 516 votes in favor, four against and 27 abstentions, MEPs slammed the “deterioration of the human rights situation in Iran, and the brutal murders of women by the Iranian authorities, including the 2023 Sakharov Prize laureate Mahsa Amini.”

Amini, a 22-year-old woman, died in police custody in September last year after being detained on allegations of improperly wearing the hijab.

Amini's death sparked widespread street demonstrations against the Iranian religious and political leaders that security forces put down brutally. Hundreds of people have been killed or executed in the repression, and thousands have been arrested.

In October, the European Parliament awarded the EU's top rights award, the Sakharov Prize, to Amini and to the “Woman, Life, Freedom” movement that sprang up after Amini’s death.

In their non-binding resolution, MEPs called for the immediate release from detention of human rights defenders, including Narges Mohammadi who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize last month for keeping up her fight against the “oppression of women” in her country despite numerous arrests and spending years behind bars.

They also condemned the continued judicial harassment of Sakharov Prize winner Nasrin Sotoudeh and called for all charges to be dropped.

Prominent human rights lawyer and women’s right activist Sotoudeh, 60, was arrested on October 29 in Tehran while attending the funeral of 17-year-old Armita Garavand, who passed away after nearly a month in coma.

On Oct. 1, Garavand was reportedly harassed in a Tehran metro by the so called “morality police” in Iran.

The European Parliament urged the Iranian authorities to “immediately end all discrimination against women and girls, including mandatory veiling,” and to “repeal all discriminatory gender laws.”

They also condemned Iran’s “hostage diplomacy” under which many foreigners have been incarcerated in Iran for what activists and Western governments say is a tactic to extract concessions from the West, or the release of Iranians imprisoned abroad.

 

 



Larijani Urges Trump to Define Economic Interests with Iran

Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 
Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 
TT
20

Larijani Urges Trump to Define Economic Interests with Iran

Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 
Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 

Ali Larijani, a senior advisor to Iran’s Supreme Leader, warned that any attack on Iran “will not go unanswered” and called on former US President Donald Trump to “define economic interests with Iran.” His remarks came two days after he suggested that Tehran could reconsider its nuclear program in response to any American military strike.

On Sunday, Trump threatened Iran with an unprecedented military response and further economic pressure if it failed to reach an agreement with Washington to curb its nuclear ambitions.

Earlier, on March 7, Trump announced he had sent a letter to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, urging negotiations on a new nuclear deal or facing possible military action.

In response, Khamenei warned on Monday that the US would receive a “strong slap” if it acted on Trump’s threats.

Hours later, Larijani cautioned that continued pressure on Iran could push the country toward developing nuclear weapons. In an interview with state television, he said: “The Supreme Leader’s fatwa forbids nuclear weapons, but if the US makes a mistake, the Iranian people may demand their production.” He added that even “rational Americans” understood that attacking Iran would only accelerate its nuclear ambitions.

On Wednesday, Larijani shared part of his television interview on his X account, stating: “Mr. Trump is a talented businessman who has built significant wealth. The US can define economic interests with Iran.”

He continued: “Trump claims to seek peace, so he should not speak the language of threats and war. Any attack on Iran will have consequences. We have experienced military leaders ready to respond.”

Larijani previously served as Iran’s parliamentary speaker during negotiations for the 2015 nuclear deal, which lifted US sanctions in exchange for restrictions on Tehran’s nuclear program. Western companies signed contracts with Iran following the agreement, but Khamenei later blocked economic cooperation with American firms.

“The catastrophic failures in our region, which cost previous US administrations more than $7 trillion, are proof that military intervention is not the answer,” Larijani added.

A day earlier, Iranian diplomat Abbas Araghchi said Tehran rejected direct talks with Washington due to “threats” and “bullying” by the US. “We do not negotiate under pressure, only as equals,” he said, without providing further details.

Iran has rolled back key commitments under the nuclear deal in two phases. The first began in May 2019, when Tehran announced a “gradual withdrawal” from the agreement. The second came under US President Joe Biden, who sought but failed to revive the deal.

In February 2021, Iran halted compliance with the Additional Protocol of the Non-Proliferation Treaty and began enriching uranium to 20%, later increasing it to 60% at its Fordow and Natanz facilities.

While Tehran insists its nuclear program is purely peaceful, Western powers argue there is no credible civilian justification for such high levels of uranium enrichment. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has noted that no country has enriched uranium to these levels without ultimately developing nuclear weapons.