NKorea's Kim Visits Arms Factories Amid Criticism over Trade with Russia

10 January 2024, North Korea: A picture released by the North Korean state news agency (KCNA) on 10 January 2024 shows North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un visiting munitions plants in undetermined places. Photo: YNA via KCNA/dpa
10 January 2024, North Korea: A picture released by the North Korean state news agency (KCNA) on 10 January 2024 shows North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un visiting munitions plants in undetermined places. Photo: YNA via KCNA/dpa
TT
20

NKorea's Kim Visits Arms Factories Amid Criticism over Trade with Russia

10 January 2024, North Korea: A picture released by the North Korean state news agency (KCNA) on 10 January 2024 shows North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un visiting munitions plants in undetermined places. Photo: YNA via KCNA/dpa
10 January 2024, North Korea: A picture released by the North Korean state news agency (KCNA) on 10 January 2024 shows North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un visiting munitions plants in undetermined places. Photo: YNA via KCNA/dpa

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un visited arms factories this week, state media outlet KCNA reported on Wednesday as the United States and its partners condemned the country's arms transfers with Russia.

Kim also highlighted recent "shortcomings" in the organization of munitions production and called for readjustment while emphasizing the "strategic importance of the production of major weapons", state media said.

KCNA photos of Kim's visit to a munitions factory showed him inspecting mobile short-range missile launch vehicles, Reuters reported.

His visit comes as nearly 50 countries condemned Russia's procurement and use of North Korean ballistic missiles against Ukraine.
"Russia’s use of DPRK ballistic missiles in Ukraine also provides valuable technical and military insights to the DPRK," the joint statement said on Tuesday, using the initials of North Korea's official name.

White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan in a call with his South Korean counterpart, Chang Ho-jin, on Tuesday "condemned in the strongest possible terms" North Korea's transfer of the missiles to Russia, the White House said.
US National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said on Tuesday that after the initially reported uses of North Korean ballistic missiles on Dec. 30 and Jan. 2, Russia had fired more such weapons at Ukraine, including one that landed in Kharkiv.

The United States and its allies and partners will raise the issue with the UN Security Council on Wednesday, he said at a briefing.

Kim also said the time has come to define South Korea as a state "most hostile" towards his country, KCNA reported.

He accused Seoul of inciting confrontation and an arms buildup while urging his country to step up its military capabilities for self-defense and its nuclear war deterrent. He described worsening relations between the two Koreas as a "new phase of change" and "unavoidable reality".

"We would by no means unilaterally bring a great event by the overwhelming strength in the Korean peninsula but we have no intention of avoiding a war as well," the leader was quoted as saying.

In remarks to a year-end party meeting last month, Kim said peaceful reunification is impossible, adding that the government would make a "decisive policy change" in relations with South Korea.



Larijani Urges Trump to Define Economic Interests with Iran

Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 
Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 
TT
20

Larijani Urges Trump to Define Economic Interests with Iran

Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 
Larijani during a press interview (Tasnim) 

Ali Larijani, a senior advisor to Iran’s Supreme Leader, warned that any attack on Iran “will not go unanswered” and called on former US President Donald Trump to “define economic interests with Iran.” His remarks came two days after he suggested that Tehran could reconsider its nuclear program in response to any American military strike.

On Sunday, Trump threatened Iran with an unprecedented military response and further economic pressure if it failed to reach an agreement with Washington to curb its nuclear ambitions.

Earlier, on March 7, Trump announced he had sent a letter to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, urging negotiations on a new nuclear deal or facing possible military action.

In response, Khamenei warned on Monday that the US would receive a “strong slap” if it acted on Trump’s threats.

Hours later, Larijani cautioned that continued pressure on Iran could push the country toward developing nuclear weapons. In an interview with state television, he said: “The Supreme Leader’s fatwa forbids nuclear weapons, but if the US makes a mistake, the Iranian people may demand their production.” He added that even “rational Americans” understood that attacking Iran would only accelerate its nuclear ambitions.

On Wednesday, Larijani shared part of his television interview on his X account, stating: “Mr. Trump is a talented businessman who has built significant wealth. The US can define economic interests with Iran.”

He continued: “Trump claims to seek peace, so he should not speak the language of threats and war. Any attack on Iran will have consequences. We have experienced military leaders ready to respond.”

Larijani previously served as Iran’s parliamentary speaker during negotiations for the 2015 nuclear deal, which lifted US sanctions in exchange for restrictions on Tehran’s nuclear program. Western companies signed contracts with Iran following the agreement, but Khamenei later blocked economic cooperation with American firms.

“The catastrophic failures in our region, which cost previous US administrations more than $7 trillion, are proof that military intervention is not the answer,” Larijani added.

A day earlier, Iranian diplomat Abbas Araghchi said Tehran rejected direct talks with Washington due to “threats” and “bullying” by the US. “We do not negotiate under pressure, only as equals,” he said, without providing further details.

Iran has rolled back key commitments under the nuclear deal in two phases. The first began in May 2019, when Tehran announced a “gradual withdrawal” from the agreement. The second came under US President Joe Biden, who sought but failed to revive the deal.

In February 2021, Iran halted compliance with the Additional Protocol of the Non-Proliferation Treaty and began enriching uranium to 20%, later increasing it to 60% at its Fordow and Natanz facilities.

While Tehran insists its nuclear program is purely peaceful, Western powers argue there is no credible civilian justification for such high levels of uranium enrichment. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has noted that no country has enriched uranium to these levels without ultimately developing nuclear weapons.