Salvagers Launch New Attempt to Tow an Oil Tanker Blown up by Yemen’s Houthis

Flames and smoke rise from the Greek-flagged oil tanker Sounion, which has been on fire since August 23, after an attack by Houthi militants, on the Red Sea, September 14, 2024 in this handout image. EUNAVFOR ASPIDES/Handout via Reuters /File Photo
Flames and smoke rise from the Greek-flagged oil tanker Sounion, which has been on fire since August 23, after an attack by Houthi militants, on the Red Sea, September 14, 2024 in this handout image. EUNAVFOR ASPIDES/Handout via Reuters /File Photo
TT

Salvagers Launch New Attempt to Tow an Oil Tanker Blown up by Yemen’s Houthis

Flames and smoke rise from the Greek-flagged oil tanker Sounion, which has been on fire since August 23, after an attack by Houthi militants, on the Red Sea, September 14, 2024 in this handout image. EUNAVFOR ASPIDES/Handout via Reuters /File Photo
Flames and smoke rise from the Greek-flagged oil tanker Sounion, which has been on fire since August 23, after an attack by Houthi militants, on the Red Sea, September 14, 2024 in this handout image. EUNAVFOR ASPIDES/Handout via Reuters /File Photo

A new attempt has begun to try to salvage an oil tanker burning in the Red Sea after attacks by Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi militias, a European Union naval mission said Saturday.

The EU’s Operation Aspides published images dated Saturday of its vessels escorting three ships heading to the Greek-flagged oil tanker Sounion.

The mission has “been actively involved in this complex endeavor, by creating a secure environment, which is necessary for the tugboats to conduct the towing operation,” the EU said.

A phone number for the mission rang unanswered Saturday. However, satellite images taken Saturday morning by Planet Labs PBC and later analyzed by The Associated Press showed what appeared to be the three salvage vessels close to the Sounion. A warship could be seen nearby.

The Greek state news agency ANA-MPA later reported the Aigaion Pelagos, a Greek-flagged tugboat, was involved in the effort. It said “three frigates, helicopters and a special forces unit” backed the salvagers.

"Despite challenging conditions, with temperatures reaching up to 400 degrees Celsius (752 degrees Fahrenheit) due to the fire, the specialized salvage team successfully secured the tanker to the Aigaion Pelagos,” the report said.

The Sounion came under attack from the Houthis beginning Aug. 21. The vessel had been staffed by a crew of 25 Filipinos and Russians, as well as four private security personnel, who were taken by a French destroyer to nearby Djibouti.

The Houthis later planted explosives aboard the ship and detonated them. That’s led to fears the ship’s 1 million barrels of crude oil could spill into the Red Sea.

The Houthis have targeted more than 80 vessels with missiles and drones since the war in Gaza started in October. They seized one vessel and sank two in the campaign that also killed four sailors. One of the sunken vessels, the Tutor, went down after the Houthis planted explosives aboard it and after its crew abandoned it due to an earlier attack, the militias later acknowledged.

Other missiles and drones have either been intercepted by a US-led coalition in the Red Sea or failed to reach their targets.

The Houthis maintain that they target ships linked to Israel, the US or the UK to force an end to Israel’s campaign against Hamas in Gaza. However, many of the ships attacked have little or no connection to the conflict, including some bound for Iran.



Report: ‘Abu Lulu’, RSF Commander Who Was Filmed Killing Civilians in Sudan, Is Back in Combat

RSF Brigadier General al-Fateh Abdullah Idris, known as Abu Lulu, was reportedly seen on the battlefield in Kordofan in March. (AFP file)
RSF Brigadier General al-Fateh Abdullah Idris, known as Abu Lulu, was reportedly seen on the battlefield in Kordofan in March. (AFP file)
TT

Report: ‘Abu Lulu’, RSF Commander Who Was Filmed Killing Civilians in Sudan, Is Back in Combat

RSF Brigadier General al-Fateh Abdullah Idris, known as Abu Lulu, was reportedly seen on the battlefield in Kordofan in March. (AFP file)
RSF Brigadier General al-Fateh Abdullah Idris, known as Abu Lulu, was reportedly seen on the battlefield in Kordofan in March. (AFP file)

A Sudanese paramilitary commander who was arrested late last year following global outrage over videos of him executing unarmed people in al-Fashir has been released from prison and returned to active duty on the battlefield, nine sources told Reuters.

Two of the sources – a Sudanese intelligence official and a commander with the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces – said they personally saw RSF Brigadier General al-Fateh Abdullah Idris, known as Abu Lulu, on the battlefield in Kordofan in March.

RSF officers had pleaded for Abu Lulu to be returned to the field to boost the morale of forces engulfed in heavy fighting there, a Chadian military officer told Reuters.

In total, Reuters spoke with 13 sources who said they knew of Abu Lulu’s release. They include three RSF commanders, an RSF officer, a relative of Abu Lulu, a Chadian military officer close to RSF command and seven other sources with contacts in RSF leadership or access to intelligence on RSF field operations.

The RSF-led coalition government, in response to questions from Reuters, issued a statement on Monday denying the group had released Abu Lulu. A special court will try him and others accused of violations during the al-Fashir offensive, according to the statement from Ahmed Tugud Lisan, spokesman for the RSF-led Tasis government.

“The talk about Abu Lulu being released is untrue, malicious, and completely false,” the statement said. “Abu Lulu and the others accused of violations during the liberation of al-Fashir have been in detention since their arrest and have never left prison.”

Reuters was unable to reach Abu Lulu.

SANCTIONS CITE WAR CRIMES

The RSF imprisoned Abu Lulu in late October 2025, a few days after its bloody takeover of al-Fashir, a large city in North Darfur. Multiple videos had surfaced of him executing unarmed people during the offensive. His actions earned him the nickname “the butcher of al-Fashir,” a moniker noted by the UN Security Council when sanctioning him on February 24 for human rights abuses.

The three-year civil war between the Sudanese army and the RSF is a brutal power struggle to control the country and its financial resources. It has created what aid groups say is the world's largest humanitarian ‌crisis.

Earlier this year, an independent ‌UN probe found that the mass killings in al-Fashir bear the hallmarks of genocide. A separate UN probe found more than 6,000 people were killed by RSF fighters from ‌October 25 ⁠to 27.

Four videos verified ⁠by Reuters show Abu Lulu shooting at least 15 unarmed captives in al-Fashir on October 27, after the RSF seized the city. All were wearing civilian clothing. It is considered a war crime under international law to kill anyone, even a former fighter, who is unarmed and not posing a threat.

After international outcry by UN leaders, US politicians and others, RSF leader Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hemedti, publicly acknowledged violations by his fighters in al-Fashir and said an accountability committee would be set up to investigate any abuses.

On October 30, the RSF released a video of Abu Lulu being driven to Shala prison, in southwestern al-Fashir. In the video, a handcuffed Abu Lulu is escorted from a vehicle flanked by armed men and placed behind bars. An unidentified RSF spokesperson standing in front of the prison says Abu Lulu “will be presented to a just trial in accordance with the law.”

In November, Al Jazeera published a story saying Abu Lulu had been released, citing unspecified online videos. But on December 2, the head of the RSF-appointed accountability committee told Reuters that it had Abu Lulu in custody and was investigating him and several other RSF soldiers in connection with violations committed in al-Fashir. Al Jazeera did not respond to questions from Reuters about its November report.

Four sources told Reuters Abu Lulu was released in December. Reuters was unable to confirm when he was freed.

The relative said that before Abu Lulu ⁠was authorized to return to duty in Kordofan, he appeared in November before a disciplinary board made up of six senior officers. The hearing was about videos he appeared in that ‌damaged the RSF’s reputation.

Reuters was unable to confirm the hearing took place or determine its outcome.

Abu Lulu is from the same clan as Hemedti, the RSF leader. Hemedti’s ‌brother, Abdelrahim Dagalo, the deputy commander of the RSF, personally ordered Abu Lulu’s release from prison, according to three sources – an RSF commander and an RSF officer both close to RSF leadership and a researcher with contacts in the committee tasked with investigating Abu Lulu.

The RSF officer said ‌that the disciplinary committee had not officially released Abu Lulu but that the deputy commander had ordered his release via radio message.

COMMAND RESPONSIBILITY

The videos of Abu Lulu are among nearly 300 videos posted online around the time of the offensive and ‌analyzed by Reuters and the Sudan Witness project at the Center for Information Resilience.

Abu Lulu was the only commander Reuters identified in video shooting unarmed people. But the Reuters-Sudan Witness investigation also found that three other senior RSF commanders were in the same area when the mass killings took place.

One video verified by Reuters shows Gedo Hamdan Abu Nashuk, the highest ranking RSF commander for the region of North Darfur, walking alongside Abu Lulu on the morning of October 27. Reuters geolocated videos from this area and found that Nashuk was recorded within 40 meters of two other videos that showed Abu Lulu executing unarmed men. By measuring shadows in the three videos, Reuters found that the videos were filmed within the same two-hour window.

Under international law, these leaders may be held criminally liable for crimes committed by their fighters during the conflict, said Jehanne Henry, a human rights lawyer and Sudan ‌director at The Reckoning Project, a US non-profit that documents war crimes.

The RSF did not respond to questions about the specific actions of any commanders present during the al-Fashir offensive. On October 29, Hemedti said that any soldier or officer who committed a crime would be arrested and investigated, with the results publicized.

The RSF government has been delayed in ⁠trying those accused of violations, spokesman Lisan said, because it is “establishing state structures ⁠under difficult circumstances.”

“We are committed to achieving justice and holding all those who commit violations accountable,” Lisan said. “Any talk to the contrary is deliberate misinformation.”

WITNESS ACCOUNTS

Reuters spoke with six survivors in refugee camps in Chad who said they witnessed Abu Lulu killing civilians in al-Fashir before they fled in October 2025.

Manazil Mousa, 25, recognized Abu Lulu from videos shown to her by a Reuters reporter and said she met him on the road out of al-Fashir as she and her family were fleeing. There, she said, he took their phones and all of their belongings, beat them severely and shot and killed her brother, Mubarak.

“Abu Lulu is the one who abused us,” she said. “He was the one who killed Mubarak. He is the one who killed our families and killed our husbands.”

Madina Adam, 38, said Abu Lulu entered Al-Fashir University on October 27, where she was sheltering with other civilians, and started to kill women and children. She described one moment when Abu Lulu asked a pregnant woman how many months along she was, and when she responded “seven months,” he shot her seven times in her stomach with his gun. The same scene was described by two witnesses in a UN report published in February.

Adam said Abu Lulu then asked a group of 10 children to sit on the ground and forced them to chant RSF slogans while he filmed. The children asked not to be killed, she said, but he shot all 10 of them.

SECRECY ORDERED

An RSF commander said leadership ordered other officers to keep quiet about Abu Lulu’s return to combat. A different RSF commander and the relative said Abu Lulu was released on the condition that he not film or be filmed on the battlefield. Reuters has not found any images of him in action since his release.

“He has been free for about three or four months and is on the battlefield with his troops,” said one RSF commander, who declined to be named. Abu Lulu’s relative said the RSF needed the commander’s services because its forces are struggling. After cementing control of al-Fashir, the RSF shifted its offensive eastward into the Kordofan region, between its territory and army-held areas. It has faced intense fighting there.

“He is very popular with the troops and that’s good for their morale,” the relative said.

In several videos verified by Reuters and Sudan Witness, other RSF fighters praise Abu Lulu and his killings. In one, filmed and posted online on November 1, 2025, by Salah Abdeen Mohamed Azala, an RSF fighter, Azala says many fighters are ready to take Abu Lulu’s place.

“If Abu Lulu disappeared, or you arrested him or tried him, we are all 1,000 Abu Lulus,” he says, speaking to the camera. “I too am Abu Lulu.”


Gaza Aid Flotilla Says Israeli Forces Intercepted 41 Vessels, 10 Still Sailing

Boats taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla, which aims to reach Gaza and break Israel’s naval blockade, set sail from a port in the southern Turkish resort of Marmaris, Türkiye, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
Boats taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla, which aims to reach Gaza and break Israel’s naval blockade, set sail from a port in the southern Turkish resort of Marmaris, Türkiye, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Gaza Aid Flotilla Says Israeli Forces Intercepted 41 Vessels, 10 Still Sailing

Boats taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla, which aims to reach Gaza and break Israel’s naval blockade, set sail from a port in the southern Turkish resort of Marmaris, Türkiye, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
Boats taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla, which aims to reach Gaza and break Israel’s naval blockade, set sail from a port in the southern Turkish resort of Marmaris, Türkiye, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)

The organizers of an aid flotilla bound for Gaza said on Tuesday Israeli forces had intercepted 41 of their boats in the eastern Mediterranean, with 10 vessels still sailing toward the enclave.

The closest vessel to Gaza, Sirius, was 145 ‌nautical miles away, ‌the group said.

Israel's ‌foreign ⁠ministry had said ⁠on X on Monday that it "will not allow any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza".

Speaking in Ankara late on Monday, ⁠Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned ‌the intervention ‌against the "voyagers of hope" in the ‌flotilla and called on the ‌international community to act against Israel's actions.

Ships from the Global Sumud Flotilla had set sail for ‌a third time on Thursday from southern Türkiye, after ⁠earlier attempts ⁠to deliver aid to Gaza were intercepted by Israel in international waters.

The group said there were 426 people taking part in the 54-vessel flotilla from 39 countries.

Israel's foreign ministry has called on "all participants in this provocation to change course and turn back immediately".


Govt's ‘Wheat Pricing’ Fuels Farmer Protests across Syrian Provinces

Syrians roast wheat in the town of Binnish, in the countryside of Idlib province in northwestern Syria (file photo - AFP) 
Syrians roast wheat in the town of Binnish, in the countryside of Idlib province in northwestern Syria (file photo - AFP) 
TT

Govt's ‘Wheat Pricing’ Fuels Farmer Protests across Syrian Provinces

Syrians roast wheat in the town of Binnish, in the countryside of Idlib province in northwestern Syria (file photo - AFP) 
Syrians roast wheat in the town of Binnish, in the countryside of Idlib province in northwestern Syria (file photo - AFP) 

Hundreds of farmers staged protests for a second consecutive day across several Syrian provinces over the government’s wheat purchase price for the current harvest season, denouncing it as unfair and insufficient to cover production costs.

Demonstrators warned the pricing policy would discourage wheat cultivation and called for the dismissal of the economy minister, saying the decision threatened farmers’ livelihoods at a time when Syria is already grappling with deep economic hardship.

The Ministry of Economy and Industry recently set the purchase price for first-grade durum wheat for the 2026 season at 46,000 Syrian pounds per ton in the country’s new currency — about $330 at the exchange rate on the day of the announcement, based on the parallel market rate of 138 pounds to the dollar.

The decision sparked anger among farmers, particularly in eastern and northern Syria — the country’s main wheat-producing region.

Khalil al-Nuaimi, an agricultural engineer and farmer, told Asharq Al-Awsat that growers had pinned high hopes on this year’s harvest following heavy rainfall, after years of drought, war and destruction.

“Farmers were hoping to repay debts and improve their living conditions, but the pricing decision crushed those hopes,” he said.

Al-Nuaimi, who lives in Raqqa province, said most farmers borrow money to finance cultivation and repay loans after the harvest. He added that many rural families postpone major life decisions until the wheat season ends, including engagements, weddings, medical treatment, home repairs and vehicle purchases.

“A decision like this has serious social consequences,” he underlined.

He accused the government of failing to consider the impact of the measure, particularly in eastern and northern Syria, where many residents already feel economically and politically marginalized.

Al-Nuaimi also pointed to what he described as a major discrepancy between production costs and the new pricing policy. He noted that the government had earlier set the price of wheat seed for the 2025-2026 season at $500 per ton, while the official purchase price for harvested wheat was lower.

“This is a gap farmers cannot absorb,” he said, adding that even raising the purchase price to $500 per ton would not fully offset losses because of exchange-rate volatility and grading-based pricing.

He continued that while the government faced a severe economic crisis, “supporting farmers is an essential part of supporting rural development and a cornerstone of the economy in an agricultural country like Syria.”

State media said the government defended the new pricing by arguing it was aligned with global wheat prices and exceeded them by around 10 percent to support local farmers and offset transportation and labor costs.

Following the announcement, hundreds of farmers protested on Sunday and Monday in the provinces of Raqqa, Deir Ezzor, Hasakeh, Daraa, Hama and Idlib, as well as other wheat-growing areas.

Protesters rejected comparisons with international prices, arguing that production conditions in Syria — devastated by years of war and drought — were not comparable to those in other countries.

The conflict and prolonged drought have severely damaged Syria’s agricultural sector, transforming the country from a wheat exporter into a wheat importer.

Eight Kurdish political parties in Hasakeh province also rejected the new pricing, describing it as “unrealistic” and warning of “negative repercussions for food security and economic and social stability.”

Syria needs around 2.55 million tons of wheat annually to meet basic consumption needs and maintain bread supplies.

During the 18-month transitional period, Syria imported around 1.3 million tons of wheat, mainly from Russia and Ukraine. The government is counting on this year’s harvest to fully meet domestic demand.