Madrid Draws with Betis with Likely Starters for Champions League Final and Kroos Says Farewell

Real Madrid's German midfielder #08 Toni Kroos is thrown in the air by teammates during the Spanish league football match between Real Madrid CF and Real Betis at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on May 25, 2024. (AFP)
Real Madrid's German midfielder #08 Toni Kroos is thrown in the air by teammates during the Spanish league football match between Real Madrid CF and Real Betis at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on May 25, 2024. (AFP)
TT

Madrid Draws with Betis with Likely Starters for Champions League Final and Kroos Says Farewell

Real Madrid's German midfielder #08 Toni Kroos is thrown in the air by teammates during the Spanish league football match between Real Madrid CF and Real Betis at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on May 25, 2024. (AFP)
Real Madrid's German midfielder #08 Toni Kroos is thrown in the air by teammates during the Spanish league football match between Real Madrid CF and Real Betis at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on May 25, 2024. (AFP)

Real Madrid drew with Real Betis 0-0 on Saturday in its last warmup game before facing Borussia Dortmund in the Champions league final.

Madrid wrapped up the Spanish league title three weeks ago, and since then coach Carlo Ancelotti has rotated his lineups to rest his starters. But the Italian likely had his top-choice players back in his starting 11 against Betis at the Santiago Bernabeu.

There were only two changes from the Champions League semifinals victory over Bayern Munich.

The versatile Eduardo Camavinga was in the spot of injured holding midfielder Aurélien Tchouaméni, who will miss the final due to a foot injury.

The other tweak was goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois starting over Andriy Lunin, the backup who played most of the season before the Belgian recovered recently from an ACL injury.

Ancelotti, however, would not confirm that this will be his starting team for the final in London on June 1.

“I have a week to think about it, we may still have some doubts,” Ancelotti said. “We will enjoy preparing for the final and arrive at our best form on Saturday and try to win it.”

KROOS HONORED

Toni Kroos played his last home game for Madrid. The 34-year-old midfielder announced this week he will retire after playing for Germany at this summer’s European Championship.

Kroos' teammates donned his No. 8 shirt to hold an honor guard for him before kickoff. When he was substituted late, his teammates and coach took turns hugging him. Kroos then embraced his three young children.

He can add to his 22 titles, including four Champions League crowns, with Madrid next weekend.

“I couldn’t have asked for more,” Kroos said. “These have been 10 unforgettable years. Now the best way for me to finish would be winning another title.”

DOVBYK EYES TOP SCORER

Ukraine striker Artem Dovbyk is set to finish the Spanish league as its top scorer after his main challenger fell one goal short of his mark.

Dovbyk, who is expected to play in Euro 2024, leads the league in the final round with 24 goals.

Villarreal striker Alexander Sorloth has 23 and had a chance to equal Dovbyk when it visited Osasuna. But the Norway striker appeared to suffer a leg injury early and had to be substituted without scoring.

Dovbyk was two goals behind Sorloth in the goals race until he bagged a hat trick to fuel a 7-0 rout of Granada on Friday.

Dovbyk's last outside threat is Robert Lewandowski, who has 18 before Barcelona visits Sevilla on Sunday in Xavi Hernández's last game in charge.

Dovbyk joined Girona last summer from Ukrainian club SC Dnipro-1 and helped transform the small club into a European sensation. The Catalan club partly owned by Manchester City's Adu Dhabi ownership qualified for the Champions League for the first time with a third-place finish.

Villarreal drew at Osasuna 1-1 after Sorloth's replacement, José Luis Morales, scored a second-half equalizer.

Osasuna striker Ante Budimir, who is on Croatia's Euro 2024 squad, netted his first goal since recovering from fractured ribs to give the hosts a first-half lead. He finished the league with 17 goals.

Villarreal will likely conclude the campaign with the league’s top assist-maker. Midfielder Álex Baena, who could be on Spain’s Euros 2024 squad, made it 14 assists by setting up Morales. Villarreal said that tied a club record set by Juan Riquelme.

The game also featured the farewell of coach Jagoba Arrasate after his six years at Osasuna. Arrasate announced in March that he turned down the offer of a contract extension, saying he needed a fresh start.

NICO SHINES

Nico Williams capped his superb season by scoring to give fifth-placed Athletic Bilbao a 1-0 win at Rayo Vallecano. Williams helped Athletic win the Copa del Rey and is a sure bet to play for Spain at Euro 2024.

Fourth-placed Atletico Madrid got goals from Samuel Lino and Reinildo Mandava to defeat sixth-placed Real Sociedad 2-0.

The final round had no drama with the title, European berths and relegation spots all decided beforehand.

Madrid, Barcelona, Girona and Atletico will play in the Champions League next season, while Athletic and Sociedad are Europa League bound. Betis will play the Conference League.

FINALLY A REASON TO CHEER

Almeria, which was relegated a month before the season ended, was at least able to escape last place and give its fans something to cheer about after crushing Cadiz 6-1. Luis Suárez and Sergio Arribas both notched braces in the rout.

Almeria pushed Granada to the bottom. Cadiz will join them in the second division next season.



FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.


Arsenal Aim to Banish Title Jitters in Spurs Showdown 

Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)
Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)
TT

Arsenal Aim to Banish Title Jitters in Spurs Showdown 

Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)
Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)

Arsenal must banish their untimely bout of title race anxiety as the wobbling Premier League leaders head to Tottenham for the north London derby.

Manchester City can pile pressure on the Gunners with a win against Newcastle, while Michael Carrick heads to Everton aiming to bolster his bid to become Manchester United's permanent manager.

AFP Sport looks at three talking points ahead of this weekend's action:

Saka expects Arsenal to hit back

Defiant Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka is adamant his side will eventually "get over the line" and end their trophy drought.

Mikel Arteta's men are in danger of blowing a commanding position in the title race after successive draws against Brentford and Wolves left them with just two wins in their last seven league matches.

The Gunners squandered the lead in both matches, with Wednesday's 2-2 draw at bottom of the table Wolves especially galling as they conceded a stoppage-time equalizer having led 2-0.

Arsenal are five points clear of second-placed Manchester City, but Pep Guardiola's team have a game in hand and will host the leaders in April.

After allowing City to overhaul them in the 2023 and 2024 title races, the north Londoners, who haven't won silverware since the 2020 FA Cup, face pointed questions about their ability to handle the mounting tension.

Saka knows Arsenal must silence the doubters by getting back on track at arch rivals Tottenham on Sunday.

"I believe the next few years are going to be the years that we get over the line, and we're able to win trophies and make history for this club," Saka said.

"We're back where we belong, fighting for everything."

Man City 'on the hunt'

Tijjani Reijnders has warned Arsenal that Manchester City are primed to pounce after the leaders allowed them back into the title race.

Victories over Liverpool and Fulham have put City in position to capitalize on Arsenal's slump.

Pep Guardiola's side will move two points behind Arsenal if they beat Newcastle at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday, putting extra heat on the leaders before the north London derby 24 hours later.

"The mood's been good, but it was also good before. Of course we've dropped some points as well, but it's good and we are on the hunt and we keep going," Reijnders said.

"We have to see of course, but if we keep going like this, who knows?"

Carrick has Man Utd on the rise

Wayne Rooney has backed Manchester United interim manager Michael Carrick to take the job on a permanent basis.

Former United midfielder Carrick was appointed until the end of the season after Ruben Amorim's sacking in January.

He made a dream start as United beat Manchester City 2-0 in his first game in charge and followed up with a 3-2 win at Arsenal.

Four wins and a draw in his first five games at the helm have lifted United into fourth place ahead of their trip to Everton on Monday.

Rooney, United's all-time leading goalscorer, believes his former team-mate could be the one to finally stabilize a troubled club that hasn't won the title since 2013.

"We've been there and tried different managers - (Jose) Mourinho, (Louis) van Gaal, (Erik) ten Hag and (Ruben) Amorim - and for me Carrick makes sense," Rooney told The Overlap.

"Having someone there who knows the club and cares for the club makes a big difference. Michael is managing the whole squad and managing them well."


Scrutiny on Flick Rises as Barca Seek Recovery 

14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
TT

Scrutiny on Flick Rises as Barca Seek Recovery 

14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)

Since Hansi Flick arrived in Barcelona in the summer of 2024 things have largely gone better than even he might have hoped, at least until the past week.

Revitalizing the Catalan giants and inspiring them to a domestic treble last season, as well as steering them to the final four of the Champions League for the first time in six years was an excellent accomplishment.

The current campaign has been a bumpier ride, in part due to injury problems, but Barca were still going strong until two consecutive defeats sapped morale as the business end of the season approaches.

Barca host Levante on Sunday at Camp Nou in La Liga as they aim to get back on track and potentially reclaim top spot from rivals Real Madrid, who visit Osasuna on Saturday.

Los Blancos moved two points ahead of Barca last weekend and stayed there as Flick's side crumbled in a 2-1 defeat at neighbors Girona on Monday.

That was hot on the heels of a 4-0 humiliation by Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey semi-final first leg, arguably Barca's worst performance since Flick's arrival.

Barca protested officiating mistakes in both games, and although the refereeing technical committee later admitted some fault, it does not absolve the Blaugrana of two worrying displays.

"We are not in a good mood, not in a good moment," admitted Flick.

"I gave the team two days off, because I think it's important that they reset."

The coach said his side, who hope to have playmaker Pedri Gonzalez back in action against Levante after injury, may be tired but also needed to buck up their ideas.

"(Mistakes) could be something to do with if they are tired, not fresh enough... but at the end we have to have the hunger to win the games," said Flick.

"When they come back I want another mentality, another level, they (must) train and play at."

Since Flick arrived Barca have played an ultra-attacking style with a high defensive line, leading to a lot of high-scoring games.

However, with the injuries they have had this season, perhaps partly due to wear-and-tear due to Flick's demands over pressing, they are creating less and finishing more inefficiently.

Both central strikers, Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres, are out of form in 2026.

The defense, meanwhile, is as porous as ever and with Pedri missing eight of the last 14 league games, they have struggled for control in midfield.

Flick's recent comments about not adjusting his approach regardless of the opponent Barca face are cause for concern.

"I don't take care if (the opponents) play five at the back or if they have a fast striker. We have the quality and this is what I want to see," said Flick last week, although recent results suggest perhaps he should look to tweak things more reactively.

Against Atletico the pace of wingers Ademola Lookman and Giuliano Simeone helped rip Barca's defense to shreds.

Although Barca are firm favorites against Levante, 19th, the trio of games which follow, leading into the Champions League last 16, are key to stopping the season from spiraling away from them.

They next host high-flying Villarreal, before the Copa semi second leg against Atletico and a tricky visit to the San Mames to play Athletic Bilbao.