Condition of Nigerian Siamese Twins Stable after Surgery in Saudi Arabia

The surgery took place at King Abdullah Specialized Children’s Hospital of King Abdulaziz Medical City of the National Guard. SPA
The surgery took place at King Abdullah Specialized Children’s Hospital of King Abdulaziz Medical City of the National Guard. SPA
TT

Condition of Nigerian Siamese Twins Stable after Surgery in Saudi Arabia

The surgery took place at King Abdullah Specialized Children’s Hospital of King Abdulaziz Medical City of the National Guard. SPA
The surgery took place at King Abdullah Specialized Children’s Hospital of King Abdulaziz Medical City of the National Guard. SPA

Advisor at the Royal Court, Supervisor General of King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief), and head of the medical and surgical team for separating Siamese twins Dr. Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz Al Rabeeah said the condition of the Nigerian Siamese twins Hasnah and Hussaynah remains stable following their successful separation surgery in Riyadh.

The surgery took place on Thursday at King Abdullah Specialized Children’s Hospital of King Abdulaziz Medical City of the National Guard.

Al Rabeeah noted that the twins are currently in intensive care, under anesthesia, receiving intravenous nutrition, and necessary medications to ensure the stability of their condition.

He said all medical indicators for the twins are reassuring, and the medical team is diligently monitoring their health in the pediatric intensive care unit.

He added that the twins will remain in the intensive care unit for approximately ten days to two weeks before being transferred to the children’s ward after a thorough evaluation of their condition. Al Rabeeah also provided detailed explanations about the twins’ health condition to their parents.



Prince William to Sell Parts of Royal Estate to Reinvest in Local Communities

Football - FA Cup - Final - Chelsea v Manchester City - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - May 16, 2026 William, Prince of Wales, before the start of the match. (Reuters)
Football - FA Cup - Final - Chelsea v Manchester City - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - May 16, 2026 William, Prince of Wales, before the start of the match. (Reuters)
TT

Prince William to Sell Parts of Royal Estate to Reinvest in Local Communities

Football - FA Cup - Final - Chelsea v Manchester City - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - May 16, 2026 William, Prince of Wales, before the start of the match. (Reuters)
Football - FA Cup - Final - Chelsea v Manchester City - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - May 16, 2026 William, Prince of Wales, before the start of the match. (Reuters)

Britain's Prince ‌William will sell off parts of his vast Duchy of Cornwall estate over the next decade to help fund plans to invest more than 500 million pounds ($670 million) in local communities, including affordable housing and environmental projects.

The sales were reported by the Times newspaper to equate to 20% of the estate which is one of Britain's biggest landowners with a portfolio that includes ‌large swathes ‌of land as well as commercial ‌and ⁠residential properties.

"The Duchy ⁠should exist to make a positive impact, particularly in the communities where we can make the biggest difference," said Will Bax, Chief Executive of the Duchy of Cornwall.

"That ambition requires significant investment and, in some cases, means rebalancing what ⁠we own in order to ‌be as impactful as ‌possible to our communities, now and in the future."

Bax ‌said the money would be "largely funded ‌by reinvesting capital from across the Duchy, alongside development income, partnerships and some borrowing."

William, who received a private income of more than 20 million pounds from the ‌Duchy last year, and his father King Charles have in recent years ⁠faced ⁠criticism over the way their estates have been managed. Aides say William has been looking closely at management of the Duchy since inheriting it in 2022.

In 2024, a Sunday Times report and separate TV documentary accused Charles and his heir William of making millions from the country's health service, army and schools from charges imposed by their respective estates.

The Duchy subsequently reduced rents significantly for a number of charity and community tenants.


Escaped Tiger Shot Dead by German Police

Local media say the tiger belongs to controversial trainer Carmen Zander, also known as Germany's "Tiger Queen" - AFP
Local media say the tiger belongs to controversial trainer Carmen Zander, also known as Germany's "Tiger Queen" - AFP
TT

Escaped Tiger Shot Dead by German Police

Local media say the tiger belongs to controversial trainer Carmen Zander, also known as Germany's "Tiger Queen" - AFP
Local media say the tiger belongs to controversial trainer Carmen Zander, also known as Germany's "Tiger Queen" - AFP

German police said Monday they had shot dead a tiger that escaped from an enclosure run by a woman nicknamed the "Tiger Queen" after it attacked one of the keepers.

Police told AFP that the animal had seriously injured a 72-year-old man, who was being treated in hospital after the attack in the eastern city of Leipzig.

The incident happened Sunday on the city's outskirts and involved an "escaped tiger which was killed by police using firearms," the police spokesman said.

Police said they were "able to locate the animal in an allotment complex" nearby and that it had to be killed "to prevent danger to those present".

One allotment gardener told the Bild newspaper: "First we heard sirens and then right afterwards a helicopter came and lots of police", who warned the allotment owners to stay inside.

"Then there were suddenly several shots."

The animal belonged to tiger trainer Carmen Zander, who told Bild that the tiger shot dead was called Sandokan.

According to Zander's website, Sandokan was a nine-year-old, 280-kilogram (615 pound) Bengal-Siberian mix.

The website describes the animal as "a scaredy-cat" that could "quickly become overwhelmed and insecure" and could therefore attack "more quickly and unexpectedly" than the other animals.

Zander, known as the "Tiger Queen", has faced criticism in the past for the conditions in which the animals are kept at her enclosure.

Animal rights group PETA charged that veterinary authorities "share responsibility for this tragic incident" by having failed to act against the facility sooner and demanded that the remaining animals there be confiscated.

The district authority said in a statement to AFP that it had "for some time been working to improve the housing conditions of the tigers" at the site.

Zander had been instructed to comply with regulations "so that all animals have access to the necessary indoor and outdoor space, or to adjust the number of animals to the space currently available".


Japan Arrests Americans over Stunt at Baby Monkey Punch's Zoo

Tourists have flocked to the Ichikawa City Zoo to see the macaque named Punch, who was abandoned by his mother shortly after his birth. Yuichi YAMAZAKI / AFP
Tourists have flocked to the Ichikawa City Zoo to see the macaque named Punch, who was abandoned by his mother shortly after his birth. Yuichi YAMAZAKI / AFP
TT

Japan Arrests Americans over Stunt at Baby Monkey Punch's Zoo

Tourists have flocked to the Ichikawa City Zoo to see the macaque named Punch, who was abandoned by his mother shortly after his birth. Yuichi YAMAZAKI / AFP
Tourists have flocked to the Ichikawa City Zoo to see the macaque named Punch, who was abandoned by his mother shortly after his birth. Yuichi YAMAZAKI / AFP

Two American nationals were arrested in Japan after a stunt in which one entered the monkey enclosure at a zoo where a baby macaque named Punch became a global internet sensation this year, police said Monday.

One of the men, who identified himself as a 24-year-old college student, was arrested Sunday after climbing over a fence and dropping into a dry moat surrounding the monkey exhibit at Ichikawa City Zoo outside Tokyo.

The other man, who was filming the act, identified himself as a 27-year-old singer.

Images on social media showed a person scaling the fence in a costume that included a smiley face head with sunglasses, prompting the monkeys to scatter.

The men did not come close to the animals, and were quickly apprehended by zoo officials, said an official at Ichikawa Police who spoke with AFP on a traditional condition of anonymity.

The two men face charges of forcible obstruction of business, which they refute, the police official said.

The duo did not have formal identifications with them and initially tried to lie to police about their names, he added.

The arrests follow a massive surge in domestic and international visitors to the zoo, driven by Punch's viral fame.

The baby monkey became an internet star this year after the zoo posted photos of Punch clutching an IKEA plush orangutan for comfort after being rejected by his mother.

Punch was raised in an artificial environment after being born in July, and began training to rejoin his troop earlier this year.

Punch's predicament sparked huge interest online, spawning a devoted fanbase under the hashtag #HangInTherePunch.

An unprecedented number of tourists are flocking to Japan, but some residents have become fed up with unruly behavior.

Last year, a Ukrainian YouTuber with more than 6.5 million subscribers was arrested after livestreaming himself trespassing in a house in the Fukushima nuclear exclusion zone.

And a US livestreamer known as Johnny Somali was arrested in 2023 for allegedly trespassing onto a construction site.