Biggest, Most Diverse Fleet in Olympic Sailing Gets Ready to Hit the Water

Matt Wearn, of Australia, poses for a portrait before men's dinghy practice at the 2024 Summer Olympics, Thursday, July 25, 2024, in Marseille, France (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Matt Wearn, of Australia, poses for a portrait before men's dinghy practice at the 2024 Summer Olympics, Thursday, July 25, 2024, in Marseille, France (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
TT

Biggest, Most Diverse Fleet in Olympic Sailing Gets Ready to Hit the Water

Matt Wearn, of Australia, poses for a portrait before men's dinghy practice at the 2024 Summer Olympics, Thursday, July 25, 2024, in Marseille, France (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Matt Wearn, of Australia, poses for a portrait before men's dinghy practice at the 2024 Summer Olympics, Thursday, July 25, 2024, in Marseille, France (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

The biggest and most diverse fleet of the 2024 Olympics' sailing events, the one-person dinghy, is scheduled to hit the water Thursday in sweltering Marseille.

The small, white-sailed boats — formerly known as lasers, now called ILCA 6 for women and ILCA 7 for men — go slower, sail deeper into the water and have a less spectacular design than many other vessels in the Olympic marina.

But to the sailors who race them, they are the purest form of the sport, The AP reported.

“It’s very pure and it’s very close — you’ve got to work for every inch,” said Matt Wearn, 28, of Australia. “You’re not looking to win by a mile, you’re looking to win by a meter.”

Wearn is seeking to defend the gold he won in the event in the Tokyo Games — and so is Anne-Marie Rindom of Denmark, 33, who in addition to a gold from Tokyo has a bronze from Rio de Janeiro and first competed in the London Games in 2012.

“It’s all about the sailor in the boat,” said Rindom, whose parents first took her sailing when she was 2 weeks old. She competed in her first regatta at age 9.

In this class, boats are provided to Olympians only about a week before the Games, leveling the playing field. That makes consistently nailing the smallest tactical detail — an inch of advantage at the starting line, catching a sudden wave to surf ahead, balancing for the additional weight of branding stickers on the sail — the key to medal.

“All these little accuracies make a huge difference,” said Micky Beckett, 29, of Britain. “Being on top of your mental game is absolutely everything.”

That’s also because the boats are so versatile and “basically unsinkable,” in Beckett’s words, that they can — and do — sail in any kind of weather, for hourlong regattas.

Not that physical strength is negligible. In big swells, with spray coming straight at the athletes’ bodies, races can be “quite battering, like being thrown into a washing machine and spat out the other side,” Wearn said. So far in Marseille, the challenge has been the opposite: very low winds under a scorching sun, which can also be draining.

The boats are relatively inexpensive to buy and transport, designed to fit the top of a car. So they’re the star of World Sailing’s development program, which aims to support athletes from nations without long histories in Olympic sailing, from El Salvador to Fiji to Mozambique.

“It’s cool to see it’s not always the same five nations,” said Nethra Kumanan, 26, of India, who qualified for the Games in the ILCA 6 at the so-called last-chance regatta under the program. “We hope we can give them a fight.”

And a fight it is, because the event features almost twice as many boats as the other sailing categories — more than 80.

“It’s the hardest to win, it’s very equal,” said Tom Saunders, 32, of New Zealand, whose brother also was an Olympic sailor but in the two-person boats.

“It feels like it’s not over till the very end,” echoed Maud Jayet, 28, of Switzerland, who learned sailing on Alpine lakes and competed in the Tokyo Games.

Like her and most sailors in this category, Marit Bouwmeester, 36, of the Netherlands, enjoys shouldering all the responsibility alone for racing strategy, unlike in two-person boats.

Her tactics have been paying off — she’s medaled in the last three Olympics, snagging silver in London, gold in Rio and bronze in Tokyo. In Marseille, however, she’s trying something new — competing as the mother of a 2-year-old daughter.

“It’s a challenge to do motherhood and top sports,” Bouwmeester said, especially to find the time to train hard and then recover, but there’s also a mental advantage. “If I have a bad day, I can go back to being a mother.”

Pavlos Kontides, 34 and the first athlete from Cyprus to win a medal — for the then-laser in 2012 — is coming back for his fifth Olympics, also with a toddler in tow who changed his perspective about the relative importance of medals. Not that he doesn’t want one.

“The fire is burning,” he said. “When you’re on a boat, you’re in a different world. You have your own reality on the sea.”

Independence, simplicity, accessibility — for many athletes, that’s what Olympic dinghies represent.

Having started sailing by his village in West Wales when he was 5, Beckett says he’s still grateful for his parents’ sacrifices driving all around the UK and camping out to bring him to regattas. He hopes the Olympic spotlight can interest more children in taking up this streamlined version of the sport.

“(Sailing) is not as confusing or expensive as it looks,” he said. “You don’t have to be genetically anything — sailing has a home for anybody.”



17th Century Wreck Reappears from Stockholm Deep

The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
TT

17th Century Wreck Reappears from Stockholm Deep

The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)

A 17th century Swedish Navy shipwreck buried underwater in central Stockholm for 400 years has suddenly become visible due to unusually low Baltic Sea levels.

The wooden planks of the ship's well-preserved hull have since early February been peeking out above the surface of the water off the island of Kastellholmen, providing a clear picture of its skeleton.

"We have a shipwreck here, which was sunk on purpose by the Swedish Navy," Jim Hansson, a marine archeologist at Stockholm's Vrak - Museum of Wrecks, told AFP.

Hansson said experts believe that after serving in the navy, the ship was sunk around 1640 to use as a foundation for a new bridge to the island of Kastellholmen.

Archeologists have yet to identify the exact ship, as it is one of five similar wrecks lined up in the same area to form the bridge, all dating from the late 16th and early 17th centuries.

"This is a solution, instead of using new wood you can use the hull itself, which is oak" to build the bridge, Hansson said.

"We don't have shipworm here in the Baltic that eats the wood, so it lasts, as you see, for 400 years," he said, standing in front of the wreck.

Parts of the ship had already broken the surface in 2013, but never before has it been as visible as it is now, as the waters of the Baltic Sea reach their lowest level in about 100 years, according to the archaeologist.

"There has been a really long period of high pressure here around our area in the Nordics. So the water from the Baltic has been pushed out to the North Sea and the Atlantic," Hansson explained.

A research program dubbed "the Lost Navy" is underway to identify and precisely date the large number of Swedish naval shipwrecks lying on the bottom of the Baltic.


China Has Slashed Air Pollution, but the ‘War’ Isn’t Over 

This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
TT

China Has Slashed Air Pollution, but the ‘War’ Isn’t Over 

This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)

Fifteen years ago, Beijing's Liangma riverbanks would have been smog-choked and deserted in winter, but these days they are dotted with families and exercising pensioners most mornings.

The turnaround is the result of a years-long campaign that threw China's state power behind policies like moving factories and electrifying vehicles, to improve some of the world's worst air quality.

Pollution levels in many Chinese cities still top the World Health Organization's (WHO) limits, but they have fallen dramatically since the "airpocalypse" days of the past.

"It used to be really bad," said Zhao, 83, soaking up the sun by the river with friends.

"Back then when there was smog, I wouldn't come out," she told AFP, declining to give her full name.

These days though, the air is "very fresh".

Since 2013, levels of PM2.5 -- small particulate that can enter the lungs and bloodstream -- have fallen 69.8 percent, Beijing municipality said in January.

Particulate pollution fell 41 percent nationwide in the decade from 2014, and average life expectancy has increased 1.8 years, according to the University of Chicago's Air Quality Life Index (AQLI).

China's rapid development and heavy coal use saw air quality decline dramatically by the 2000s, especially when cold winter weather trapped pollutants close to the ground.

There were early attempts to tackle the issue, including installing desulphurization technology at coal power plants, while factory shutdowns and traffic control improved the air quality for events like the 2008 Olympics.

But the impact was short-lived, and the problem worsened.

- Action plan -

Public awareness grew, heightened by factors like the US embassy in Beijing making monitoring data public.

By 2013, several international schools had installed giant inflatable domes around sport facilities to protect students.

That year, multiple episodes of prolonged haze shrouded Chinese cities, with one in October bringing northeastern Harbin to a standstill for days as PM2.5 levels hit 40 times the WHO's then-recommended standard.

The phrase "I'm holding your hand, but I can't see your face" took off online.

Later that year, an eight-year-old became the country's youngest lung cancer patient, with doctors directly blaming pollution.

As concerns mounted, China's ruling Communist Party released a ten-point action plan, declaring "a war against pollution".

It led to expanded monitoring, improved factory technology and the closure or relocation of coal plants and mines.

In big cities, vehicles were restricted and the groundwork was laid for widespread electrification.

For the first time, "quantitative air quality improvement goals for key regions within a clear time limit" were set, a 2016 study noted.

These targets were "the most important measure", said Bluetech Clean Air Alliance director Tonny Xie, whose non-profit worked with the government on the plan.

"At that time, there were a lot of debates about whether we can achieve it, because (they were) very ambitious," he told AFP.

The policy targeted several key regions, where PM2.5 levels fell rapidly between 2013 and 2017, and the approach was expanded nationwide afterwards.

"Everybody, I think, would agree that this is a miracle that was achieved in China," Xie said.

China's success is "entirely" responsible for a decline in global pollution since 2014, AQLI said last summer.

- 'Low-hanging fruits' gone -

Still, in much of China the air remains dangerous to breathe by WHO standards.

This winter, Chinese cities, including financial hub Shanghai, were regularly among the world's twenty most polluted on monitoring site IQAir.

Linda Li, a running coach who has lived in both Beijing and Shanghai, said air quality has improved, but she still loses up to seven running days to pollution in a good month.

A top environment official last year said China aimed to "basically eliminate severe air pollution by 2025", but the government did not respond when AFP asked if that goal had been met.

Official 2025 data found nationwide average PM2.5 concentrations decreased 4.4 percent on-year.

Eighty-eight percent of days featured "good" air quality.

However, China's current definition of "good" is PM2.5 levels of under 35 micrograms per cubic meter, significantly higher than the WHO's recommended five micrograms.

China wants to tighten the standard to 25 by 2035.

The last five years have also seen pollution reduction slow.

The "low-hanging fruits" are gone, said Chengcheng Qiu from the Center for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA).

Qiu's research suggests pollution is shifting west as heavy industry relocates to regions like Xinjiang, and that some cities in China have seen double-digit percentage increases in PM2.5 in the last five years.

"They can't just stop all industrial production. They need to find cleaner ways to produce the output," Qiu said.

There is hope for that, given China's status as a renewable energy powerhouse, with coal generation falling in 2025.

"Cleaner air ultimately rests on one clear direction," said Qiu.

"Move beyond fossil fuels and let clean energy power the next stage of development."


Sydney Man Jailed for Mailing Reptiles in Popcorn Bags 

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
TT

Sydney Man Jailed for Mailing Reptiles in Popcorn Bags 

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)

A Sydney man who tried to post native lizards, dragons and other reptiles out of Australia in bags of popcorn and biscuit tins has been sentenced to eight years in jail, authorities said Tuesday.

The eight-year term handed down on Friday was a record for wildlife smuggling, federal environment officials said.

A district court in Sydney gave the man, 61-year-old Neil Simpson, a non-parole period of five years and four months.

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from seized parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania, the officials said in a statement.

The animals -- including shingleback lizards, western blue-tongue lizards, bearded dragons and southern pygmy spiny-tailed skinks -- were posted in 15 packages between 2018 and 2023.

"Lizards, skinks and dragons were secured in calico bags. These bags were concealed in bags of popcorn, biscuit tins and a women's handbag and placed inside cardboard boxes," the statement said.

The smuggler had attempted to get others to post the animals on his behalf but was identified by government investigators and the New South Wales police, it added.

Three other people were convicted for taking part in the crime.

The New South Wales government's environment department said that "the illegal wildlife trade is not a victimless crime", harming conservation and stripping the state "and Australia of its unique biodiversity".