Iran Rejects Western Criticism of its Ballistic Program

Two Iranian women pass in front of a billboard depicting a “hypersonic” missile, and the slogan, “400 seconds to Tel Aviv”, in Tehran. (Reuters)
Two Iranian women pass in front of a billboard depicting a “hypersonic” missile, and the slogan, “400 seconds to Tel Aviv”, in Tehran. (Reuters)
TT

Iran Rejects Western Criticism of its Ballistic Program

Two Iranian women pass in front of a billboard depicting a “hypersonic” missile, and the slogan, “400 seconds to Tel Aviv”, in Tehran. (Reuters)
Two Iranian women pass in front of a billboard depicting a “hypersonic” missile, and the slogan, “400 seconds to Tel Aviv”, in Tehran. (Reuters)

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani rejected western criticism of his country’s ballistic missiles program, after Tehran announced the development of its first domestically made “hypersonic” ballistic missile.

“The precision-guided Fattah hypersonic missile has a range of 1,400 km and it is capable of penetrating all defense shields,” Amirali Hajizadeh, the head of the Revolutionary Guards’ aerospace force, was quoted as saying by Iranian state media.

This is the second ballistic missile announced by Iran within two weeks, after it tested, earlier last month, a ballistic missile with a range of 2,000 kilometers.

Hypersonic missiles can fly at least five times faster than the speed of sound and on a complex trajectory, which makes them difficult to intercept. Last year, Iran said it had built a hypersonic ballistic missile which can maneuver in and out of the atmosphere.

The Revolutionary Guard revealed a model of the missile during a ceremony attended by its senior commanders and Iranian President Ibrahim Raisi.

In a statement on Thursday, Kanaani said that his country’s missile activities are “well-known, defensive, and legitimate, in accordance with international laws,” accusing Western countries of “interfering” in his country’s affairs.

“These countries, which have a long and clear history of violating international obligations in several areas, including nuclear tests, the non-proliferation system, stockpiling ballistic missiles, and playing a disruptive role in regional and international issues, are not entitled to comment on Iran’s legitimate and legal defense capabilities,” he said.

Kanani specifically referred to the security alliance between Australia, Britain and the United States, known as AUKUS, saying: “This alliance is a blatant example of the political and discriminatory orientation of the nuclear powers in transferring technology and highly enriched uranium to non-nuclear states, contrary to the Non-Proliferation Treaty.”

Kanaani’s remarks came at a time when giant posters depicting the Fattah missile and the slogan “400 seconds to Tel Aviv '' invaded billboards and two walls in squares and large streets in Tehran, which are usually reserved for propaganda sponsored by the IRGC.

“We are proud of the missile production that dazzles the world,” said Raisi on Thursday, during a tour of East Azerbaijan Province.

On Wednesday, the French Foreign Ministry expressed its concern over the Revolutionary Guards’ announcement of a new ballistic missile, stressing Paris’ determination to prevent Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons.

“This is yet another breach of UN Security Council Resolution 2231. These activities come amid the continued escalation of Iran’s nuclear and ballistic programs. We remain fully mobilized to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons,” the ministry said in a statement.

The British Foreign Office said that Iran’s announcement “further proves its continued disregard of international restrictions and the grave threat posed by the regime to global security.”

“Alongside partners, the UK remains committed to taking every diplomatic step to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons and to hold the regime to account for its malign activity around the world,” the statement added.

The US Treasury announced the imposition of a set of sanctions on a number of companies in China and Hong Kong for supporting Iran’s ballistic missile program. It confirmed that Chinese companies sent centrifuges, non-ferrous metals that can be used for military purposes, and electronic equipment to government branches and private companies in Iran involved in missile manufacturing and subject to sanctions.

“Today’s action reinforces our commitment to respond to activities which undermine regional stability and threaten the security of our key partners and allies,” said Under Secretary of the Treasury for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence Brian Nelson.

He added: “The United States will continue to target illicit transnational procurement networks that covertly support Iran’s ballistic missile production and other military programs.”

 



Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)

An ‌independent United Nations body on Tuesday condemned what it described as vicious attacks based on disinformation by several European ministers against the organization's special rapporteur for Palestine, Francesca Albanese.

In the past week several European countries, including Germany, France and Italy, called for Albanese’s resignation over her alleged criticism of Israel. Albanese, an Italian lawyer, denies making the remarks.

On Friday, the Czech Republic's Foreign Minister Petr Macinka quoted Albanese on X as having called Israel a "common enemy of humanity", and he ‌also called for ‌her resignation.

A transcript of Albanese's remarks ‌made ⁠in Doha on ⁠February 7 seen by Reuters did not characterize Israel in this way, although she has consistently criticized the country in the past over the Gaza conflict.

The UN Coordination Committee - a body of six independent experts which coordinates and facilitates the work of Special Rapporteurs - accused European ministers of relying on "manufactured ⁠facts".

"Instead of demanding Ms. Albanese's resignation ‌for performing her mandate...these government representatives ‌should join forces to hold accountable, including before the International Criminal Court, ‌leaders and officials accused of committing war crimes and ‌crimes against humanity in Gaza," the Committee said.

It said the pressure exerted on Albanese was part of an increasing trend of politically motivated and malicious attacks against independent human rights experts, UN officials ‌and judges of international courts.

US President Donald Trump's administration imposed sanctions on Albanese after she wrote ⁠letters ⁠to US companies accusing them of contributing to gross human rights violations by Israel in Gaza and the West Bank.

UN experts are commissioned by the Geneva-based Human Rights Council to monitor and document specific human rights crises but are independent of the organization itself.

There is no precedent for removing a special rapporteur during their term, although diplomats said that states on the 47-member council could in theory propose a motion to do so.

However, they said strong support for Palestinian rights within the body means that such a motion was unlikely to pass.


US Plans to Deploy More Missile Launchers to the Philippines Despite China’s Alarm 

A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
TT

US Plans to Deploy More Missile Launchers to the Philippines Despite China’s Alarm 

A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)

The United States plans to deploy more high-tech missile systems to the Philippines to help deter aggression in the South China Sea, where the treaty allies on Tuesday condemned what they called China’s "illegal, coercive, aggressive, and deceptive activities."

Beijing has repeatedly expressed alarm over the installation in the northern Philippines of a US mid-range missile system called the Typhon in 2024 and of an anti-ship missile launcher last year. It said the US weapons were aimed at containing China’s rise and warned that these were a threat to regional stability.

China has asked the Philippines to withdraw the missile launchers from its territory, but officials led by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. have rejected the demand.

US and Philippine officials held annual talks Monday in Manila on broadening security, political and economic engagements and boosting collaboration with regional security allies.

The US and the Philippines outlined in a joint statement Tuesday specific defense and security plans for this year, including joint military exercises, Washington's support to help modernize the Philippine military and efforts "to increase deployments of US cutting-edge missile and unmanned systems to the Philippines."

The longtime allies "underscored their support for preserving freedom of navigation and overflight, unimpeded lawful commerce and other lawful uses of the sea for all nations," the statement said.

"Both sides condemned China’s illegal, coercive, aggressive and deceptive activities in the South China Sea, recognizing their adverse effects on regional peace and stability and the economies of the Indo-Pacific and beyond," it added.

Confrontations between Chinese and Philippine coast guard forces have spiked in the disputed waters in recent years. Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan are also involved in the territorial standoffs.

Neither side elaborated on the planned missile deployments but Philippine ambassador to Washington, Jose Manuel Romualdez, who took part in Monday’s talks, said US and Filipino defense officials discussed the possible deployment this year of "upgraded" types of US missile launchers that the Philippines may eventually decide to purchase.

"It’s a kind of system that’s really very sophisticated and will be deployed here in the hope that, down the road, we will be able to get our own," Romualdez told The Associated Press.

The Typhon missile system that the US Army deployed to the main northern Philippine region of Luzon in April 2024 and an anti-missile launcher called the Navy Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System that was deployed in April last year also to Luzon have remained in the Philippines, Romualdez said.

During joint drills, US forces have exhibited the missile systems to batches of Filipino forces to familiarize them with the weapons’ capabilities and usage, military officials said.

Romualdez said the US missile deployments to the Philippines did not aim to antagonize any country.

"It’s purely for deterrence," he said. "Every time the Chinese show any kind of aggression, it only strengthens our resolve to have these types."

The Typhon missile launchers, a land-based weapon, can fire the Standard Missile-6 and the Tomahawk Land Attack Missile. Tomahawk missiles can travel over 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers), which places China within their target range, from the northern Philippine region of Luzon.

Last year, the US Marines deployed the anti-ship missile launcher, the Navy Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System, to Batan island in the northernmost Philippine province of Batanes, which faces the Bashi Channel just south of Taiwan.

The sea passage is a critical trade and military route that the US and Chinese militaries have tried to gain strategic control of.


France's Macron Eyes Fighter Jet Deal in India

France's President Emmanuel Macron (C-R) and his wife Brigitte Macron (C) are welcomed by India's officials upon their arrival in Mumbai on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Ludovic MARIN / AFP)
France's President Emmanuel Macron (C-R) and his wife Brigitte Macron (C) are welcomed by India's officials upon their arrival in Mumbai on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Ludovic MARIN / AFP)
TT

France's Macron Eyes Fighter Jet Deal in India

France's President Emmanuel Macron (C-R) and his wife Brigitte Macron (C) are welcomed by India's officials upon their arrival in Mumbai on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Ludovic MARIN / AFP)
France's President Emmanuel Macron (C-R) and his wife Brigitte Macron (C) are welcomed by India's officials upon their arrival in Mumbai on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Ludovic MARIN / AFP)

French President Emmanuel Macron will meet Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Mumbai on Tuesday, as he begins a three-day visit to India focused on artificial intelligence cooperation and a potential multibillion dollar fighter jet deal.

France is seeking to expand its military partnership with New Delhi, with discussions expected on a possible contract for 114 additional French Dassault Rafale fighter jets, said AFP.

Modi, in a statement on social media addressed to his "dear friend" Macron, after he began his trip with his wife Brigitte in India's financial capital, said he looked forward to "advancing our bilateral ties to new heights".

Modi, who will meet Macron later on Tuesday afternoon, said he was "confident that our discussions will further strengthen cooperation".

Macron, on his fourth visit to India since taking office in 2017, began on Tuesday with a program including honoring the victims of the 2008 Mumbai attacks, and meeting Bollywood film stars, including Shabana Azmi and Manoj Bajpayee.

He also called Modi his "dear friend", in post on X, saying they will "go even further" in cooperation.

The visit follows New Delhi's confirmation last week that it intends to place a major order for Rafale jets, as well as the signing of a landmark free trade agreement between India and the European Union in January.

Macron will travel to New Delhi for an artificial intelligence summit on Wednesday and Thursday.

- 'Contract of the century' -

New Delhi has sought over the past decade to reduce its dependence on Russia, its traditional main supplier of military equipment, turning to other countries while also pushing for more domestic production.

An Indian defense ministry statement last week said the proposed purchase of Rafale jets had been cleared -- with "the majority" of them to be manufactured in India.

Christophe Jaffrelot, an India specialist at Sciences Po Center for International Studies in Paris, described the potential EUR30 billion ($35 billion) deal for 114 Rafales as the "contract of the century".

If finalized, the jets would add to the 62 Rafales that India has already purchased.

The French presidency has voiced optimism that what it calls a "historic" agreement could be reached.

- 'Good chemistry' -

Modi and Macron will also inaugurate on Tuesday, via videoconference, India's first helicopter final assembly line, a joint venture between India's Tata Group and Airbus.

The facility in Vemagal, in the southern state of Karnataka near the tech hub of Bengaluru, will manufacture the Airbus H125, the company's best-selling single-engine helicopter.

France has emerged as one of India's most important defense and economic partners in the last decade.

"Through this visit, we seek to further strengthen cooperation" with India, and to "diversify" France's economic and trade partnerships, Macron's office said.

India, the world's most populous country with 1.4 billion people, is on track to become the fourth-largest economy globally.

This week's talks are also expected to address global economic uncertainty triggered by tariff policies under US President Donald Trump, as well as China's influence in the region.

Bilateral trade between France and India, driven largely by defense and aerospace -- India's commercial fleet includes a substantial number of Airbus aircraft -- stands at around EUR15 billion ($18 billion) annually.

French foreign direct investment in India totals nearly EUR13 billion ($15 billion).

The two leaders will also be keen to nurture close personal ties.

"There is apparently a good chemistry, a good personal rapport," Jaffrelot said.

One sensitive issue remains Ukraine: India has not condemned Russia's 2022 invasion and has continued buying oil from Moscow.

US President Donald Trump has said India had committed to halting the purchases, though that has not been formally confirmed by New Delhi.

"If the Indians stop buying Russian oil, they won't be blamed for abstaining at the UN," Jaffrelot added.