Iranian Rapper to Be Jailed for Six Years, Avoiding Death Sentence 

An Iranian man enters a mosque to pray on Eid al-Adha at the shrine of Abdol-Azim in Tehran, Iran June 29, 2023. WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
An Iranian man enters a mosque to pray on Eid al-Adha at the shrine of Abdol-Azim in Tehran, Iran June 29, 2023. WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
TT
20

Iranian Rapper to Be Jailed for Six Years, Avoiding Death Sentence 

An Iranian man enters a mosque to pray on Eid al-Adha at the shrine of Abdol-Azim in Tehran, Iran June 29, 2023. WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
An Iranian man enters a mosque to pray on Eid al-Adha at the shrine of Abdol-Azim in Tehran, Iran June 29, 2023. WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters

Well-known Iranian rapper Toomaj Salehi, who supported the protest movement that sprang up in Iran last year, has avoided a death sentence and been jailed for six years and three months, his lawyer told Monday's edition of the daily newspaper Shargh.

Salehi had expressed support online and in his songs for a wave of nationwide protest triggered by the death in police custody of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old Kurdish Iranian woman arrested for wearing "inappropriate attire".

Salehi was convicted of "corruption on earth", which covers a broad range of offences including those related to religious morality, and can carry the death sentence.

His lawyer Rosa Etemad Ansari was quoted as saying Salehi had been acquitted of insulting the Supreme Leader and cooperation with hostile governments, and had been moved out of solitary confinement into the general section of his prison.

In November, Iranian media had published a video of Salehi in detention, in which he was blindfolded and he renounced previous comments critical of the authorities.



After Putin Envoy’s US Talks, Kremlin Says Putin and Trump Have No Plans to Speak

Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting with Russian Culture Minister Olga Lyubimova, at the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia, 04 April 2025. (EPA/Vyacheslav Prokofyev / Sputnik / Kremlin Pool / Pool)
Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting with Russian Culture Minister Olga Lyubimova, at the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia, 04 April 2025. (EPA/Vyacheslav Prokofyev / Sputnik / Kremlin Pool / Pool)
TT
20

After Putin Envoy’s US Talks, Kremlin Says Putin and Trump Have No Plans to Speak

Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting with Russian Culture Minister Olga Lyubimova, at the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia, 04 April 2025. (EPA/Vyacheslav Prokofyev / Sputnik / Kremlin Pool / Pool)
Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting with Russian Culture Minister Olga Lyubimova, at the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia, 04 April 2025. (EPA/Vyacheslav Prokofyev / Sputnik / Kremlin Pool / Pool)

The Kremlin said on Friday that Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump had no plans to talk after a visit to Washington by Putin's investment envoy as wider negotiations over a ceasefire in Ukraine appeared stalled.

NBC News reported on Thursday that Trump's inner circle is advising him not to speak to Putin again until the Russian leader commits to a full ceasefire in Ukraine, something Putin has said he is open to in principle, but only if a long list of conditions are met.

Kirill Dmitriev, Putin's investment envoy, said on Thursday that he saw a "positive dynamic" in relations between Moscow and Washington after holding two days of meetings in Washington, but said more meetings were needed to sort out differences.

His visit came as a US-brokered agreement for Russia and Ukraine to stop striking each other's energy infrastructure appeared to be faltering, with Moscow and Kyiv repeatedly accusing each other of violating it. Reuters could not verify to what extent it was being respected.

Asked on Friday whether Putin and Trump would now speak by phone, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters:

"No, there are no plans for the next few days. There is nothing in the schedule for now."

Peskov said Dmitriev's visit was a cause for "cautious optimism", however. He also echoed Dmitriev's comments that Russia could engage in talks around security guarantees for Ukraine, although he said the subject was very complex.

The two sides have engaged in a flurry of diplomacy over Ukraine since Trump returned to office in January, promising a quick end to the conflict and a restoration of ties with Russia.

But Russia this week said it could not accept US proposals on Ukraine, "in their current form", because they did not address core issues that Moscow says are at the root of the conflict.

Trump previously said he was "pissed off" with Putin due to remarks he had made about Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

Trump has spoken of imposing sanctions on countries that buy Russian oil if he feels Moscow is blocking a peace deal on Ukraine. In an announcement of global tariffs on Thursday he did include Russia, which is already heavily sanctioned.