IRGC Launches Military Exercise on Re-deployment of Combat Forces in Abu Musa Island

Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy's speedboats move during an exercise in Abu Musa Island, in this picture obtained on August 2, 2023. (Tasnim)
Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy's speedboats move during an exercise in Abu Musa Island, in this picture obtained on August 2, 2023. (Tasnim)
TT

IRGC Launches Military Exercise on Re-deployment of Combat Forces in Abu Musa Island

Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy's speedboats move during an exercise in Abu Musa Island, in this picture obtained on August 2, 2023. (Tasnim)
Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy's speedboats move during an exercise in Abu Musa Island, in this picture obtained on August 2, 2023. (Tasnim)

The Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) launched a military exercise on Abu Musa Island, one of three disputed islands claimed by the UAE.

The IRGC Navy and the Basij militia took part in the war game on the deployment of combat forces. It included inaugurating new boats and launching cruise missiles and drones.

The exercise aims to show “the power and combat defense readiness of the IRGC Navy in protecting the security of the Gulf ... and ... islands and it includes the use of “locally manufactured equipment and systems in the defense-based industries.”

In this exercise, the vessels of the special unit of Martyr Hojjaji that are equipped with 600-km long-range missiles were taking part to defend the island's territory, said Tasnim news agency.

Hojjaji is the name of an IRGC members who was killed in Syria.

The news agency gave no details about the missiles.

IRGC-affiliated media reported that the exercise is dubbed "Eshaq Dara" after a commander who was killed in clashes with the US forces during the Tanker War in the Gulf during the Iran-Iraq War.

The drill focused on Abu Musa Island and the Greater and Lesser Tunbs which are near the Straits of Hormuz.

Iranian media released footage and images as part of the propaganda that usually goes hand in hand with military exercises.

The commander-in-chief of the IRGC, Major General Hossein Salami, and the IRGC Navy's commander, Rear Admiral Alireza Tangsiri, headed to Musa Island ahead of the maneuvers.

“We always try for security and tranquility; it is our way,” Salami, said in a televised address during the drill.

“Our nation is vigilant, and it gives harsh responses to all threats, complicated seditions, and secret scenarios and hostilities.”

Salami considered that all “the riots, divisions, and tensions are the outcome of US policy and the Zionist entity.”

"The islands ... are part of Iran's honor, and we will defend them," Tangsiri said, adding that Gulf security needed to be provided by regional countries.

The “Gulf belongs to all of the region's countries ... These states must be very prudent and prevent themselves from falling into the conspiracies and divisive plans of extra-regional countries," he added.

Tasnim quoted Brigadier General Ali Ozmaei, the Commander of the IRGC Navy, as saying that 1,500 members including 30 men from the Basij militia were deployed in the military exercise.

"In this exercise, Basiji fighters were quickly dispatched to Abu Musa Island by aircraft and light and heavy vessels to defend the Island, and after being transported by air and sea, the fighters were deployed in predetermined positions to defend the Island," Ozmaei added.

He went on to say that 50 soldiers participated in the training on “air assault” with helicopters, remarking the use of air and sea drones, launchers and missile launchers, and Zulfiqar boats carrying missiles on board.

Meanwhile, Iran has been trying to signal its displeasure with recent comments about the islands made by Russia.

Russia earlier this summer in a joint statement with the Gulf Cooperation Council called for "bilateral negotiations or the International Court of Justice" to decide who should control the islands.

Last month, the United States sent additional F-35 and F-16 fighter jets, along with a warship to the Middle East, in a bid to monitor waterways in the region following Iran's seizure of commercial shipping vessels in recent months.

The Pentagon dispatched the troop-and-aircraft-carrying USS Bataan to the Gulf to protect navigation in the Strait of Hormuz.

For the US, keeping the Strait of Hormuz open to shipping remains a priority to ensure global energy prices don’t spike, particularly as Russia’s war on Ukraine pressures markets, said The Associated Press this week.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.