Union of Journalists in Tehran: More than 100 Journalists Arrested Since Start of Protests

A woman looks at a picture of Iranian reporters Niloufar Hamedi and Elahe Mohammadi posted on Twitter, in Nicosia on November 2, 2022. (AFP)
A woman looks at a picture of Iranian reporters Niloufar Hamedi and Elahe Mohammadi posted on Twitter, in Nicosia on November 2, 2022. (AFP)
TT
20

Union of Journalists in Tehran: More than 100 Journalists Arrested Since Start of Protests

A woman looks at a picture of Iranian reporters Niloufar Hamedi and Elahe Mohammadi posted on Twitter, in Nicosia on November 2, 2022. (AFP)
A woman looks at a picture of Iranian reporters Niloufar Hamedi and Elahe Mohammadi posted on Twitter, in Nicosia on November 2, 2022. (AFP)

The Union of Journalists in Tehran said on Tuesday that more than 100 journalists have been arrested in Iran since the death of Mahsa Amini in September 2022 that triggered unprecedented protests.

"Journalism in the country is going through a dark era," said Akbar Montajabi, the head of the Union of Journalists in Tehran, noting that over 100 journalists have been arrested over the past 11 months.

"However, even with these arrests, the flow of information remains unstoppable and finds its path like water," he added.

In an article published in Sazandegi newspaper, Montajabi said the era of journalistic suppression continues with an increasing number of journalists being arrested, dismissed, censored or forced into exile.

He insisted that "journalists are not adversaries" to the country.

"Those who steadfastly remained, holding the torch for freedom, are not foes. They do not cooperate with hostile governments; they are an integral part of the people. Journalists mirror the pain endured by the nation," he wrote.

Mass demonstrations erupted in September 2022 following the death in custody of 22-year-old Iranian-Kurd Mahsa Amini, who was arrested for allegedly breaching the Iran’s strict dress code for women.

Meanwhile, more than 90 journalists have been arrested or summoned over the past 10 months in different cities across the country, according to the reformist Shargh daily, quoting a report by a local committee that supports detained journalists.

Most have been released on bail or granted amnesty, but the fate of 11 journalists, including six detained and five others awaiting verdicts, "is still unknown," said the report published on Iran’s National Journalists’ Day, celebrated on August 8.

Among the detained journalists are Niloufar Hamedi and Elahe Mohammadi, who covered Amini’s death and have been detained since September.

Hamedi broke the news of Amini’s death and Mohammadi wrote about her funeral.

Hamedi works for the reformist newspaper Shargh, while Mohammadi works for the reformist newspaper Ham-Mihan.

The two journalists had been indicted on charges of acting against national security, and creating "propaganda against the system."

Hundreds of people including security forces were killed and 20,000 arrested over their participation in what the authorities have described as "riots" fomented by the West.

The popular protests presented the biggest challenge to the ruling regime in 43 years.



EU Increases Pressure on Türkiye after Arrest of Imamoglu

Demonstrators gather in front of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, eastern France, on March 27, 2025 during a rally in support of Istanbul's arrested mayor Ekrem Imamoglu. (Photo by Frederick FLORIN / AFP)
Demonstrators gather in front of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, eastern France, on March 27, 2025 during a rally in support of Istanbul's arrested mayor Ekrem Imamoglu. (Photo by Frederick FLORIN / AFP)
TT
20

EU Increases Pressure on Türkiye after Arrest of Imamoglu

Demonstrators gather in front of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, eastern France, on March 27, 2025 during a rally in support of Istanbul's arrested mayor Ekrem Imamoglu. (Photo by Frederick FLORIN / AFP)
Demonstrators gather in front of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, eastern France, on March 27, 2025 during a rally in support of Istanbul's arrested mayor Ekrem Imamoglu. (Photo by Frederick FLORIN / AFP)

The European Union is ratcheting up pressure on Türkiye over the detention of Istanbul mayor Ekrem Imamoglu, as tensions in the country escalate two weeks after his arrest.

Addressing the European Parliament in Strasbourg on Tuesday, EU Commissioner for Enlargement Marta Kos voiced the EU’s strong concern regarding the arrest of Imamoglu.

Kos said that because of what happened in the country, she has cancelled her participation in the diplomatic forum in Antalya which will take place from April 11 to 13 and will not go to Ankara to confer with Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan.

During the parliament’s debate, which focused on the “crackdown on democracy in Türkiye” and the arrest of Imamoglu, Kos said that as a candidate country for EU membership and a member of the Council of Europe, Türkiye is expected to apply the highest democratic standards and practices, including regarding freedom of assembly, freedom of the press, and free and fair elections.

She emphasized Türkiye’s strategic importance to Europe, saying “shutting down our channels and areas of cooperation will not benefit anyone, especially the people of Türkiye.”

Also, Emmanouil Kefalogiannis, Chair of the European Parliament’s (EP) Delegation to the EU-Türkiye Joint Parliamentary Committee (KPK), announced he will not attend the committee meeting planned for April 14-15.

EP’s Türkiye Rapporteur Nacho Sanchez Amor welcomed Kos’s decision to skip the Antalya Diplomacy Forum and the EP’s decision to withdraw from the KPK meeting.

On his X account, Amor wrote: “Membership is about democracy. Türkiye’s geopolitical position alone will not be enough to open the doors of the European Union.”

Ankara applied to join the European Union in 1999. But since 2018, accession negotiations have stalled, due to the deteriorating state of the country’s democracy and its relations with the EU.

Meanwhile, the Turkish police detained 11 people suspected of spreading calls for a one-day shopping boycott as part of an ongoing protest against the arrest of Imamoglu.

Main opposition leader Ozgur Ozel had earlier called for a “no shopping day,” scheduled for Wednesday April 2 only, to support 301 students who have been arrested and detained for taking part in the protests.

On Thursday, the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office issued a decision to release the 11 suspects, who are not allowed to leave the country.

Among those detained was actor Cem Yigit Uzumoglu, who played Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror in the Netflix docuseries “Rise of Empires: Ottoman,” the Actors’ Union said.

Earlier, the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office had issued arrest warrants for 16 suspects in an investigation into “hatred and discrimination” and “inciting hatred and hostility” among the public, state news agency Anadolu reported. Five of them were later released.

At the headquarters of the Republican People's Party (CHP) in Ankara, Ozel said he will organize a rally every weekend in support of Imamoglu.