US Secretary of State: Iran is not Interested in Being Responsible

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken during a press conference on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken during a press conference on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly (Reuters)
TT

US Secretary of State: Iran is not Interested in Being Responsible

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken during a press conference on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken during a press conference on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly (Reuters)

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has said there is no "evidence of an Iran that is interested in actually being a responsible actor."

"Just this past week we saw them remove IAEA inspectors who are critical to doing the work at the IAEA to - as best you can - ensure that Iran is consistent with whatever obligations it has," he said.

"That is not evidence of an Iran that is interested in actually being a responsible actor."

Iran barred multiple International Atomic Energy (IAEA) inspectors assigned to the country.

Blinken clarified on Saturday that Iran's nuclear activities significantly destabilize the region and pose threats to countries in the area and beyond.

The Secretary said that the Biden administration is determined to prevent Iran from ever acquiring a nuclear weapon, believing diplomacy is the most effective route.

"We tried to work indirectly with Iran as well as with European partners and even Russia and China to see if we can get a return to compliance with the Iran nuclear deal ... But Iran couldn't or wouldn't do that," Blinken told reporters.

Later, the European Union's foreign coordinator, Enrique Mora, announced that he met with Iran, Europe, and the US officials regarding the negotiations that have been at an impasse since last year.

Mora wrote on his "X" account: “As customary, JCPOA was in the margins of the UN General Assembly 2023 week. I met Bagheri Kani, US Envoy in Iran, and European diplomats."

He referred to the EU policy that can only be reached through a comprehensive deal on concrete, fully verifiable nuclear limitations on Iran's nuclear program.

The Spanish diplomat added that substantial IAEA monitoring, comprehensive sanctions lifting, and provisions on nuclear cooperation allow Iran to have a solid, transparent atomic industry, including research, has been fully vindicated.

"You can call it JCPOA or the best deal ever, but there's no alternative."

Meanwhile, Iran's Foreign Minister, Hossein Amir-Abdollahian, told official Iranian television on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York that the revival of the 2015 nuclear deal will be "within reach" if the US stops its "contradictory behaviors."

Amir-Abdollahian noted that he met with members of a US think tank and several former US officials in New York to explicitly discuss bilateral issues, one of which was Washington's "wrong" approach toward Iran and the JCPOA.

The minister met Saturday his Swedish counterpart, Tobias Billstrom, on the sidelines of the General Assembly, marking their first official encounter following prolonged diplomatic tensions between Stockholm and Tehran.

Relations between Iran and Sweden are tense after Tehran detained Swedish citizens in Iran and executed one of them.

Weeks before the General Assembly, news leaked of the detention of a Swedish diplomat, who has been working for the European Union, held in Tehran for over 500 days.

Tensions escalated as Tehran intensified its criticisms of Sweden following an incident where an extremist Iraqi immigrant burned a copy of the Quran.

Amir-Abdollahian also discussed enhancing bilateral relations with his South Korean counterpart, Chung Eui-yong, mainly after Seoul transferred frozen Iranian assets under the US-Iran prisoner exchange deal conducted last week.

The South Korean foreign ministry announced that the two diplomats agreed to push bilateral relations to broader horizons through high-level communications.

Both ministers acknowledged the smooth execution of the recent transfer of Tehran's frozen funds in Seoul to a third country.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.