Iran Explores Japanese Mediation for Nuclear Talks Resumption

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi with Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian speaks to the press in New York. (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi with Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian speaks to the press in New York. (Iranian Presidency)
TT

Iran Explores Japanese Mediation for Nuclear Talks Resumption

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi with Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian speaks to the press in New York. (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi with Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian speaks to the press in New York. (Iranian Presidency)

Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian announced that Japan has proposed an initiative to revive a stalled nuclear deal struck in 2015 with Iran and six major powers, including the US.

In a statement to the Japanese news agency Kyodo, Abdollahian stated that Japan's proposal aligns with "Iran's interests" and would be viewed positively by Tehran.

He stated, "We support the constructive role of Japan in reviving the nuclear deal," accusing the US, UK, France, and Germany of having "excessive demands" that delayed the talk's progress.

The FM also attributed the delay to "interference" in Iran's domestic issues.

Upon his return from New York on Tuesday, Abdollahian had earlier informed Iran's official news agency, IRNA, that Oman's Sultan Haitham bin Tariq is attempting to revive the nuclear agreement.

However, he emphasized that Oman's proposed initiative is a means to expedite and bring all parties back to their commitments without constituting a new plan or text.

The FM was in New York to attend the UN General Assembly.

Meanwhile, Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) commander, Hossein Salami, warned against trusting "enemies," stating that the enemies had flawed perceptions and miscalculations, leading to their defeat.

Salami took pride in severing diplomatic ties with the US and detaining diplomats for 444 days following the seizure of the US embassy by radical students in 1979.

Meanwhile, the US refused a request by Iran's Foreign Minister to visit Washington last week, pointing to concerns about Tehran's record, including past detentions of US citizens.

During a daily press briefing on Monday, State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said Abdollahian sought to travel to visit Iran's consular interest section following the General Assembly.

"They did make that request, and it was denied by the State Department," Miller told reporters.

"We do have an obligation to allow Iranian officials and other officials of foreign governments to travel to New York for UN business. But we do not have an obligation to allow them to travel to Washington DC," he said.

"Given Iran's wrongful detention of US citizens, given Iran's state sponsorship of terrorism, we did not believe it was appropriate or necessary in this instance to grant that request."

Meanwhile, Iran's Foreign Ministry denied reports that Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei has given the green light for negotiators to carry out direct nuclear talks with the US.

A website affiliated with Iranian expatriate pressure groups and linked to the previous government led by Hassan Rouhani first reported the news.

The Ministry declared that the fabricated news holds no value, indicating such reports aim at political propaganda.

‘Sunset clause’

Iranian officials issued multiple statements about their readiness to engage in a new round of nuclear negotiations as the date of the "sunset clause" approaches nearing Oct. 18.

Months of diplomacy between Washington and Tehran resulted in a prisoner exchange deal that included releasing $6 billion of frozen Iranian assets.

Western media outlets reported unofficial arrangements to de-escalate tensions between both sides, which included a halt to attacks on US forces in the region, slowing Iran's uranium enrichment close to weapons-grade levels, and halting the shipment of drones to Russia.

Indirect negotiations between Washington and Tehran began in April 2021 to restore the nuclear agreement, but the talks stalled for five months during Iran's presidential elections.

Iran engaged in a new round of negotiations after Ebrahim Raisi won, but these talks broke down in March 2022, weeks after the start of the Russia-Ukraine war.

The European Union's foreign policy chief proposed a draft for concluding the talks in September last year, but his efforts were unsuccessful.

Among Tehran's persistent demands is the closure of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) investigation into two covert sites.

The UN agency continues to press Iran for credible explanations regarding these activities.

IAEA Director-General Rafael Grossi recently criticized the lack of progress in reaching an understanding with Iran regarding those sites.

The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Mohammad Eslami, called for the swift closure of the investigation, accusing the IAEA of "politicizing" its assessment.

Eslami and Grossi later held consultations on outstanding issues between the two parties, particularly following Tehran's recent decision to revoke the permits of IAEA inspectors.

Raisi attributed the revocation to "security considerations" concerning three inspectors, denying that his country's move was an attempt to expel international inspectors.

Iran's action seemed to respond to the European countries' decision to extend sanctions on Iran's missile and drone programs, which were set to expire next month under the nuclear agreement.

On Sept. 19, the US Treasury Department imposed sanctions on entities in Iran, Russia, Türkiye, and China due to Iran's drone program.

Treasury Under Secretary of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence Brian Nelson stated that Iran's continued, deliberate proliferation of its UAVs enables Russia, Tehran’s proxies in the Middle East, and other destabilizing actors to undermine global stability.

On Monday, the Biden administration imposed new trade restrictions on 11 Chinese and five Russian companies, accusing some of supplying components to make drones for Russia's war effort in Ukraine.

In Tehran, the IRGC commander of the missile unit, Amir Ali Hajizadeh, stated that many countries are adopting Iran's approach to drones.

He added that his country has "surpassed regional powers" in drone production, according to the Tasnim News Agency.



First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)

A plane from Spain's Air Europa landed in Venezuela Tuesday, according to a flight tracking monitor, the first European commercial flight to arrive in the country since the United States toppled president Nicolas Maduro.

A slew of international carriers stopped flying to Venezuela after the United States warned of possible military activity there in late November -- a prelude to its surprise attack on January 3.

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner landed at Simon Bolivar International Airport, which serves the Venezuelan capital Caracas, at 9:00 pm (0100 GMT).

Since US forces raided Venezuela and captured Maduro, US President Donald Trump has struck a cooperative relationship with interim president Delcy Rodriguez.

Late last month he called for flights to resume to the country.

Spanish airline Iberia is evaluating security guarantees before announcing a return, according to the Spanish press.

Portugal's TAP has said it will resume flights. Colombian airline Avianca and Panama's Copa have already restarted operations.

Hoping to prompt US flights, the Trump administration has lifted a 2019 ban on US airlines flying to the country.


Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
TT

Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China killed 12 people on Wednesday, the second day of the Lunar New Year holiday, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

Setting off fireworks and firecrackers is common during holiday celebrations in China, especially around Lunar New Year, which fell on Tuesday.

While many larger cities, including the capital Beijing, have banned the practice in recent years -- in part due to pollution -- towns and rural areas are often filled with the sounds of exploding firecrackers and "missile" fireworks for days on end during the holiday period.

"At approximately 2 pm on the 18th, there was a fire and explosion at a firework and firecracker shop in Zhengji town" in Hubei province, CCTV said, citing local authorities.

"The fire covered an area of around 50 square meters and has already resulted in 12 deaths."

The cause of the explosion is under investigation, CCTV added, according to AFP.

On Sunday, an explosion at a fireworks shop in eastern China's Jiangsu province killed eight and injured two.

In response to that incident, the Ministry of Emergency Management urged fireworks enterprises nationwide to strengthen supervision and undertake a "full inspection" of safety risks and hazards.

It also warned citizens against unsafe practices like test-firing or smoking outside of shops.

Industrial accidents are common in China due to lax safety standards.

An explosion at a biotech factory in northern China's Shanxi province killed eight people this month.

And in late January, an explosion at a steel factory in the neighboring province of Inner Mongolia left at least nine people dead.


Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.