Iran Buries Revolutionary Guards Members Killed in Israeli Raid in Syria  

Mourners in Tehran carry the coffin of Gen. Sadegh Omidzadeh, one of the five Revolutionary Guards officers killed in Syria last Saturday (EPA)
Mourners in Tehran carry the coffin of Gen. Sadegh Omidzadeh, one of the five Revolutionary Guards officers killed in Syria last Saturday (EPA)
TT

Iran Buries Revolutionary Guards Members Killed in Israeli Raid in Syria  

Mourners in Tehran carry the coffin of Gen. Sadegh Omidzadeh, one of the five Revolutionary Guards officers killed in Syria last Saturday (EPA)
Mourners in Tehran carry the coffin of Gen. Sadegh Omidzadeh, one of the five Revolutionary Guards officers killed in Syria last Saturday (EPA)

Hundreds of mourners gathered Monday in a heavily fortified area in northeast Tehran for the funerals of five Revolutionary Guards officers killed in Syria last Saturday, in what Iran called an Israeli strike.

The ceremony took place in the Mahallati area, which is home to several senior IRGC commanders. Posters of the five officers and slain IRGC Quds Force Qassem Soleimani were erected at the funeral. Soleimani was killed in a US strike near Baghdad airport in January 2020.

Last Saturday, Iran said five of its advisers were killed in an Israeli strike that destroyed a house in the Mezzeh area in Damascus.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based monitor, said 13 people were killed in the strikes on a building where “Iran-aligned leaders” were meeting.

Later, Iranian news agencies said the strike killed the IRGC's Syria intelligence chief, as well as other Guard members.

Tehran blamed Israel for the attack and pledged to retaliate. Tel Aviv has not commented on the attack.

Addressing a weekly press conference in Tehran on Monday, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Nasser Kanaani said: “The Zionist entity wants to bring the US directly into the war with the resistance parties in the region.”

Responding to a question about Iran’s retaliation to the Israeli raid in Damascus, he said: “The crimes of the Zionist regime against Iran have never gone unanswered.”

“We reserve the right to respond in our own way,” he added.

The spokesperson said Israel is stuck in a quagmire in the Gaza Strip and is therefore seeking to create instability and insecurity in the region to drag other parties to a war. He added that Iran will not be dragged into the conflict.

In recent weeks, Israel was accused of killing Brig. Gen. Reza Mousavi, a senior commander in the IRGC in an airstrike in Syria, and Hamas’ deputy chief Saleh al-Arouri, in an attack in Lebanon's capital Beirut.

The attacks threw into sharp focus the increasing risk that the war on Gaza could spill over into the region.

The conflict in Gaza began on Oct. 7 when Hamas fighters stormed border defenses to attack Israeli bases and towns.

On January 15, the Revolutionary Guards said they attacked alleged Israeli Mossad targets in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.

“Iran’s attack on Erbil does not violate the sovereignty of Iraq,” said Kanaani. “The attack targeted threats and enemies. It was not an act against Iraq and the Kurdistan Region.”

Responding to Kanaani’s comments, the spokesperson for Iraq's Kurdish Regional Government (KRG), Peshwa Taher Horami, said on Monday the attack was a crime against civilians and a flagrant violation of the sovereignty of Iraq and Kurdistan, the principles of good neighborliness and international agreements.



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.