Iran: Reformists Calls for ‘Opening a Window’ in Conservatives’ Wall

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi chairing a meeting of the cabinet and governors (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi chairing a meeting of the cabinet and governors (Iranian Presidency)
TT

Iran: Reformists Calls for ‘Opening a Window’ in Conservatives’ Wall

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi chairing a meeting of the cabinet and governors (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi chairing a meeting of the cabinet and governors (Iranian Presidency)

Over 100 civil, political, and media reformist activists in Iran called for making a breakthrough in the upcoming parliamentary elections and for making a drastic change to prevent the current political forces from maintaining control over the parliament.
A total of 103 activists called for supporting the alliance of moderate and reformist candidates, urging political forces to avoid "idealism without realism" and "realism without idealism" given the "difficult circumstances" surrounding the legislative elections.
Officials and government media have escalated campaigns urging Iranians to participate in the upcoming elections, the first electoral entitlement after the widespread protests that shook the country following the death of Mahsa Amini in September 2022.
The previous polls witnessed a record turnout throughout the country, especially in Tehran. The capital is the largest electoral district and has 30 parliamentary seats.
Over the past months, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei has repeatedly called for an increase in voter turnout in the elections to confirm the regime's acceptance by public opinion after the recent protests witnessed unprecedented reactions.
Interior Minister Ahmed Vahidi chaired a meeting of 31 governors, where discussions focused on the ministry's preparations before the legislative elections next month.
According to Iranian agencies, Vahidi said that 70 percent of the parliamentary candidates are between 30 and 50 years of age, pointing out that the list includes 15,000 candidates whose requests were approved by the Guardian Council, the body that supervises the elections.
The poll to elect 290 new members of the parliament will begin in a little over ten days, according to the Iranian Ministry of Interior.
This year's elections will coincide with the Assembly of Experts for Leadership elections, held every eight years to elect 88 influential clerics who will name the Supreme Leader's successor if he cannot carry out his duties.
Some reformist parties still have not decided their position on boycotting the elections, especially after the recent warning of Khamenei to "privileged" candidates.
Meanwhile, reform activists issued a statement indicating that the upcoming elections are "far from free and fair”.
The statement by official and government news agencies said that voting, even in restricted elections, could mean speaking up against limitations on the right to vote and not surrendering to basic rights violations.
The majority of activists, including figures close to former President Mohammad Khatami, said they believe in change and reform within the framework of the system, rejecting calls to move beyond the current political structure.
Last year, Khatami said there remains a long way to meet the elections' conditions and requirements, stressing that the main thing is holding free and fair elections.
The activists' statement pointed out that adherence to the right to vote is not limited to two options: voting on the list of candidates or boycotting the elections.
The statement stressed that participating in the elections aims to prevent the "greater evil" and ensure the polls' objectivity.
The signatories asserted their aim to practically achieve Iran's collective good and interests, aside from any personal wealth or gain.
Meanwhile, the reformist Ettehaad Mellat party held its ninth general conference on Monday.

At the end of the conference, the party issued a statement asserting that the rising trend of public dissatisfaction and increased number of unresolved issues, coupled with the noticeable rulers' inefficiency and the apparent gap with the people, show that the current impasses cannot be overcome without radical reforms.
Ettehaad Mellat further indicated that the parliament has become an unpopular and ineffective body, noting that its powers have been taken away by many parallel institutions.
The party announced it would side with the reform front during the upcoming elections, referring to the coordination framework between the parties and reformist forces.
Ettehaad Mellat's statement noted that the widespread interventions of security forces and institutions in the country's partial and comprehensive issues have become dangerous and harmful, warning about extending this wrong method to civil institutions.



N. Korea Flexes Nuclear-capable Rocket Launcher Ahead of Key Congress

A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA  EDITORIAL USE ONLY
A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA EDITORIAL USE ONLY
TT

N. Korea Flexes Nuclear-capable Rocket Launcher Ahead of Key Congress

A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA  EDITORIAL USE ONLY
A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA EDITORIAL USE ONLY

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has unveiled a battery of huge nuclear-capable rocket launchers ahead of a key congress of the nation's ruling party, state media said Thursday.

Kim is expected to detail the next phase in North Korea's nuclear weapons program when he opens a rare congress of the ruling Workers' Party in coming days.

The 600-mm multiple launch rocket system was front and center as preparations ramped up for the once-in-five-years gathering, widely viewed as North Korea's most important political event.

"When this weapon is used actually, no force would be able to expect God's protection," Kim said, according to the Korean Central News Agency.

"It is really a wonderful and attractive weapon."

Photos released by state media showed dozens of launch vehicles parked in neat rows on the plaza of Pyongyang's House of Culture, which will host the congress.

The weapon was "appropriate for a special attack, that is, for accomplishing a strategic mission", Kim told a ceremony on Wednesday, using a common euphemism for nuclear weapons.

He said the weapons system -- which was presented to the congress as a gift from munitions workers -- would deter unnamed enemies.

"There is no need to further explain about its destructive power and military value," AFP quoted Kim as saying.

"This is because it can reduce the aimed target to ashes through surprise and simultaneous attack by focusing its destructive energy."

The launch system could fire rockets with an estimated range of 400 kilometers (250 miles), covering all of South Korea, said analyst Hong Min from the Korea Institute for National Unification.

"Its primary purpose is to neutralize the combined air power of South Korea and the United States," he told AFP.

"If equipped with tactical nuclear warheads, a single battery firing four to five rounds could devastate an entire airbase."

South Korea's capital Seoul is less than 50 kilometers (30 miles) from the border at its nearest point.

Analysts believe North Korea would use its vast artillery arsenal to launch saturation strikes on the South should fighting break out.

Kim ordered the expansion and modernization of missile production in the months leading up to the Workers' Party congress.

Pyongyang has also significantly stepped up missile testing.


Iran Says No Country Can Deprive it of Enrichment Rights

A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT
A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT
TT

Iran Says No Country Can Deprive it of Enrichment Rights

A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT
A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT

Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said no country can deprive the Iranian republic of its right to nuclear enrichment, after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action following talks in Geneva.

"The basis of the nuclear industry is enrichment. Whatever you want to do in the nuclear process, you need nuclear fuel," said Eslami, according to a video published by Etemad daily on Thursday.

"Iran's nuclear program is proceeding according to the rules of the International Atomic Energy Agency, and no country can deprive Iran of the right to peacefully benefit from this technology."

The comments follow the second round of Oman-mediated talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva on Tuesday.

The two foes had held an initial round of discussions on February 6 in Oman, the first since previous talks collapsed during the 12-day Iran-Israel war in June.

The United States briefly joined the war alongside Israel, striking Iranian nuclear facilities.

On Wednesday, Trump again suggested the United States might strike Iran in a post on his Truth Social site.

He warned Britain against giving up sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean, saying that the archipelago's Diego Garcia airbase might be needed were Iran not to agree a deal, "in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime".

Washington has repeatedly called for zero enrichment, but has also sought to address Iran's ballistic missile program and its support for militant groups in the region -- issues which Israel has pushed to include in the talks.

Western countries accuse the Iranian republic of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons.

Tehran denies having such military ambitions but insists on its right to this technology for civilian purposes.

Trump, who has ratcheted up pressure on Iran to reach an agreement, has deployed a significant naval force to the region, which he has described as an "armada".

After sending the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and escort battleships to the Gulf in January, he recently indicated that a second aircraft carrier, the Gerald Ford, would depart "very soon" for the Middle East.

Separately, the Iranian and Russian navies were conducting joint drills in the Sea of Oman and the northern Indian Ocean on Thursday.


Karachi Building Collapse after Blast Kills 16

Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
TT

Karachi Building Collapse after Blast Kills 16

Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN

A building collapse caused by an explosion in Pakistan's southern megacity of Karachi killed at least 16 people on Thursday, including children, officials said.

More than a dozen people were injured in the incident in the Soldier Bazaar neighborhood of Karachi at around 4:00 am, when Muslim families start preparing Sehri, the pre-sunrise meal eaten during Ramadan.