Türkiye Arrests ISIS Members, Including Foreigners, in 2 Security Operations 

Police forensic experts examine the area after a shooting outside the Caglayan courthouse in Istanbul, Türkiye February 6, 2024. (Reuters)
Police forensic experts examine the area after a shooting outside the Caglayan courthouse in Istanbul, Türkiye February 6, 2024. (Reuters)
TT
20

Türkiye Arrests ISIS Members, Including Foreigners, in 2 Security Operations 

Police forensic experts examine the area after a shooting outside the Caglayan courthouse in Istanbul, Türkiye February 6, 2024. (Reuters)
Police forensic experts examine the area after a shooting outside the Caglayan courthouse in Istanbul, Türkiye February 6, 2024. (Reuters)

Turkish counter-terrorism forces arrested 30 ISIS members during security operations in Istanbul, the southern Hatay province and several other areas.

The operations are part of Ankara’s ongoing efforts to curb the activities of the terror group, most notably in wake an the attack on an Istanbul church early this month that left one Turkish national dead.

Counter-terrorism forces in Istanbul arrested on Tuesday 18 ISIS members out of 19 wanted persons identified by the Anti-Terrorism and Organized Crime Office. The manhunt for the last member is still ongoing.

On Monday, Turkish Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya said police detained at least 12 suspected ISIS members in Istanbul and Hatay.

Five suspects were foreign nationals, he said, without specifying their nationalities.

Yerlikaya stressed that the security services will firmly deal with the terrorists and will continue their efforts to combat terrorism.

Authorities have detained 147 people suspected of having ties to ISIS in operations across 33 provinces.

Last month, ISIS renewed its activities in the country after a pause of seven years. Early in February, one Turkish citizen was killed by two ISIS gunmen at the Italian Santa Maria Catholic Church in Istanbul.

Authorities have already announced the arrest of 25 suspects in connection with the shooting.

Among the 25 remanded in custody were the two suspected gunmen, previously captured by police, who are believed to be tied to ISIS. The first one is Amirjon Khliqov from Tajikistan and the other David Tanduev from Russia.

They were charged with being members of an illegal organization and aggravated intentional homicide. Another nine suspects were released pending trial.

Türkiye has also detained 17 members of the ISIS Khorasan Province in an operation in Istanbul. Investigations revealed that they were involved in the attack on the Santa Maria Catholic Church, and of planning to establish a cell to train ISIS fighters and send them to Middle Eastern countries.



France Plans to Take Iran to Int’l Court over Citizen Detentions

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (R) during a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs meeting in Brussels, Belgium, 03 April 2025.  EPA/OLIVIER HOSLET
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (R) during a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs meeting in Brussels, Belgium, 03 April 2025. EPA/OLIVIER HOSLET
TT
20

France Plans to Take Iran to Int’l Court over Citizen Detentions

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (R) during a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs meeting in Brussels, Belgium, 03 April 2025.  EPA/OLIVIER HOSLET
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (R) during a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Ministers of Foreign Affairs meeting in Brussels, Belgium, 03 April 2025. EPA/OLIVIER HOSLET

Two French citizens held in Iran for almost three years have not had consular services for more than a year prompting Paris to prepare a complaint at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), France's foreign ministry said on Thursday.
Cecile Kohler and her partner Jacques Paris have been held since May 2022. Iranian state television aired a video later that year with them appearing to confess to acting on behalf of French intelligence services, something categorically denied by Paris.
Held in Tehran's Evin prison, France has accused Iran of keeping them in conditions akin to torture.
French officials have toughened their language towards Iran, notably over the advancement of its nuclear program and regional activities, but also the detention of European citizens in the country.
Speaking after a rare cabinet meeting to broadly discuss Iran on Wednesday, France's Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot indicated Paris would soon take the matter of violating the right to consular protection to the ICJ.
"We are putting together a complaint that we will file at the ICJ," Foreign ministry spokesman Christophe Lemoine told reporters at a news conference on Thursday, adding that the Kohler and Paris were being held in "shocking" conditions.
According to Reuters, Lemoine declined to say when it would be filed and acknowledged that procedures at the ICJ were long, but insisted that Tehran needed to be called out on the issue because the embassy and consulate had not had access to their citizens for more than a year.
"It's in violation of Iran's obligations," he said, citing the Vienna convention on consular relations.
In recent years, Iran's Revolutionary Guards have arrested dozens of dual nationals and foreigners, mostly on charges related to espionage and security.
Rights groups have accused Iran of trying to extract concessions from other countries through such arrests.
Iran, which does not recognize dual nationality, denies taking prisoners to gain diplomatic leverage.