Tehran Says Committed to Nuclear Talks, Rejects Washington’s Threats

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani (Tasnim)
Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani (Tasnim)
TT

Tehran Says Committed to Nuclear Talks, Rejects Washington’s Threats

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani (Tasnim)
Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani (Tasnim)

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani said on Monday his country is committed to the negotiation table for the removal of sanctions, adding that Tehran remains in full cooperation with the UN nuclear watchdog to resolve certain ambiguities about its nuclear program.

At a weekly press conference in Tehran, the spokesman then rejected the recent US threat against Iran if the latter fails to cooperate with international inspectors.

At the quarterly meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency's 35-nation Board of Governors in Vienna last week, the US threatened future action against Iran if Tehran keeps “stonewalling” the watchdog by denying it the cooperation and answers it seeks on issues including long-unexplained uranium trace.

The United States and its three top European allies - Britain, France and Germany - had opted against seeking a resolution against Iran at the meeting but Washington said that if Iran did not provide the necessary cooperation soon, it would act.

The US said Iran should provide the IAEA with cooperation including access “for the purposes of collecting environmental samples ... and it must begin to do so now.”

If it did not, it would ask IAEA chief Rafael Grossi to provide a “comprehensive report” on Iran's nuclear activities more wide-ranging than his regular quarterly ones, it said.

Responding to the US position, Kanaani said “unfounded and non-technical decisions” have no impact on Iran’s determination to continue its cooperation with the IAEA.

He then asserted that the US, as a violator of international agreements such as the Iran nuclear deal or the JCPOA, does not have the authority to comment on Tehran's actions and must fulfill its obligations.

UN Warning

A week ago, at the IAEA’s Board of Governors meeting, Grossi renewed his call upon Iran to cooperate fully and unambiguously with the UN nuclear watchdog.

“I deeply regret that Iran has yet to reverse its decision to withdraw the designations for several experienced Agency inspectors,” Grossi told the meeting.

“Only through constructive and meaningful engagement can all of these concerns be addressed and once again I call upon Iran to cooperate fully and unambiguously with the Agency,” he added.

As part of its escalatory actions taken with the arrival of US President Joe Biden to the White House in January 2021, Tehran has significantly reduced inspection operations, disconnected surveillance cameras, and withdrawn the designation of several nuclear experts.

It is more than a year since the IAEA's Board of Governors passed a resolution ordering Iran to cooperate with a years-long investigation into uranium particles found at undeclared sites, saying it was “essential and urgent” for Iran to explain the traces.

Tehran rejected the resolution and said it had political goals and was anti-Iranian.

Last week, Grossi reiterated his concerns about the potential risks of nuclear proliferation in the region. At a press conference, he said that, while he has no information that Iran is making a nuclear weapon, he is tuning into what is being said by Iranian officials who are boasting about their country’s nuclear capabilities.

In a statement last month, the former chief of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Ali Akbar Salehi, claimed that his country had crossed “all the thresholds of nuclear science and technology.”

Grossi said, “What I would say is that Iran is the only country that does not have a nuclear weapon that is enriching at 60% and is accumulating uranium enriched at 60%.”

Nuclear Talks

In 2018, then-President Donald Trump pulled the United States out of the 2015 nuclear deal under which major powers lifted sanctions against Iran in exchange for restrictions on its nuclear activities. After sanctions were re-imposed, Tehran expanded those activities far beyond the deal's limits.

In September 2022, talks between Tehran and the major powers to revive the agreement reached an impasse. Since then, Tehran said it is “committed to the negotiating table aimed at lifting sanctions,” without mentioning the commitments it might make in the future.

On Monday, Kanaani mentioned a recent meeting held between EU's deputy foreign policy chief, Enrique Mora, and Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs, Ali Bagheri Kani, to discuss bilateral and regional issues, including efforts to lift sanctions as part of ongoing negotiations related to JCPOA.

Mora wrote in a post on X that he had met Bagheri Kani in Doha, listing the meeting's agenda as “Iran-Russia military cooperation, Gaza war and regional dimension, nuclear commitments and sanctions lifting in JCPOA framework, and bilateral issues.”



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.