Taiwan on Alert for Post-Inauguration Chinese Drills

 Taiwan President-elect Lai Ching-te speaks as Incoming Defense Minister Wellington Koo stands next to him during a press conference where incoming cabinet members are announced, in Taipei, Taiwan April 25, 2024. (Reuters)
Taiwan President-elect Lai Ching-te speaks as Incoming Defense Minister Wellington Koo stands next to him during a press conference where incoming cabinet members are announced, in Taipei, Taiwan April 25, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

Taiwan on Alert for Post-Inauguration Chinese Drills

 Taiwan President-elect Lai Ching-te speaks as Incoming Defense Minister Wellington Koo stands next to him during a press conference where incoming cabinet members are announced, in Taipei, Taiwan April 25, 2024. (Reuters)
Taiwan President-elect Lai Ching-te speaks as Incoming Defense Minister Wellington Koo stands next to him during a press conference where incoming cabinet members are announced, in Taipei, Taiwan April 25, 2024. (Reuters)

Taiwan is on alert for China to carry out military exercises after the inauguration of President-elect Lai Ching-te this month, the island's top security official said on Wednesday, adding China has already begun using unusual new tactics.

China, which views democratically governed Taiwan as its own territory, has a strong dislike of Lai, believing him a dangerous separatist. China's government has rejected his repeated offers of talks, including one made last week.

Lai, like current President Tsai Ing-wen, rejects Beijing's sovereignty claims; both say only the island's people can decide their future. Lai, now vice president, will be inaugurated on May 20.

Speaking to reporters at parliament, Taiwan National Security Bureau Director-General Tsai Ming-yen said maintaining stability in the Taiwan Strait was in the interests of everyone in the international community, including China.

China is currently using a carrot-and-stick approach toward Taiwan, hoping to influence the incoming government's China policy, added Tsai, who shares a common family name with the president but is not related to her.

"What needs special attention is that following May 20, from June to November, is when the Chinese Communists hold their regular military drills," he said. "Whether the Chinese Communists use this hot season as an excuse to carry out some military drills to further pressure Taiwan is a key point the National Security Bureau is focusing on."

China's defense ministry did not answer calls seeking comment outside of office hours on Wednesday, the start of the Labour Day holiday.

China's military has during the past four years massively increased its activities around Taiwan.

NIGHTTIME PATROLS

Taking lawmaker questions, Tsai said China had been observed three times so far this year carrying out "joint combat readiness patrols" at night, something he described as a new development.

"In addition, inflight refueling aircraft are being used during the joint combat readiness patrols" to extend the time combat aircraft can remain in the air, Tsai said.

Landing ships and minesweepers have also been observed joining these patrols, he added.

"These are new patterns for this year."

Taiwan's defense ministry last reported a Chinese combat readiness patrol, where warships and warplanes operate together in the skies and waters near Taiwan, on Saturday.

In 2022, China carried out major war games near Taiwan after a visit to Taipei by then-US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and again last year after President Tsai met then-House Speaker Kevin McCarthy on a stopover in California.

Taiwan-based security sources have repeatedly warned China could show their displeasure with Lai using the military.

Since Lai's January election victory, China has kept up a steady stream of pressure on Taiwan, including coast guard patrols near a group of Taiwanese-controlled islands that sit next to the Chinese coast, and opening new air routes in the Taiwan Strait that Taipei says threaten aviation safety.

But Beijing has also offered to resume, albeit in limited form, Chinese tourism to Taiwan, a proposal the government in Taipei is still considering, as it wants a full resumption of visits by Chinese tourists.



More than 16,000 Doses of Ervebo Vaccine Arrive in Ebola-hit DRC

A hygienist wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) begins cleaning and disinfection operations at the Rwampara Ebola Treatment Center (ETC) in Bunia, Ituri, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo on July 13, 2026. (Photo by BENEDICTION MURHABAZI / AFP)
A hygienist wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) begins cleaning and disinfection operations at the Rwampara Ebola Treatment Center (ETC) in Bunia, Ituri, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo on July 13, 2026. (Photo by BENEDICTION MURHABAZI / AFP)
TT

More than 16,000 Doses of Ervebo Vaccine Arrive in Ebola-hit DRC

A hygienist wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) begins cleaning and disinfection operations at the Rwampara Ebola Treatment Center (ETC) in Bunia, Ituri, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo on July 13, 2026. (Photo by BENEDICTION MURHABAZI / AFP)
A hygienist wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) begins cleaning and disinfection operations at the Rwampara Ebola Treatment Center (ETC) in Bunia, Ituri, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo on July 13, 2026. (Photo by BENEDICTION MURHABAZI / AFP)

More than 16,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine arrived in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) late Friday, an AFP journalist saw, as the country faces the deadliest Ebola outbreak in its history.

The DRC's 17th Ebola outbreak, which has killed thousands of people, was declared on May 15 but is thought to have been spreading for several weeks prior.

It has hit regions in the north and east where the presence of the state is weak, health infrastructure is largely lacking and myriad armed groups have roamed for decades.

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced on Thursday that the DRC would receive a total of 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine, produced in Germany.

The vaccine, developed by the pharmaceutical company Merck, is approved against the Zaire strain of the virus, but not against the Bundibugyo strain currently circulating in the country.

WHO experts still do not know whether Ervebo protects humans against the Bundibugyo strain, but early data, notably from animal trials, suggest it could offer some protection.

The Ervebo vaccine "has already been used several times, and in particular on a very large scale during the 2018-2020 outbreak", Samuel Roger Kamba, the DRC's minister of health, told the press.

He was speaking on the tarmac of Kinshasa airport, where a batch of 16,250 doses was delivered by plane on Friday.

Of the 70,000 doses made available to the DRC, 20,000 are intended for a clinical trial, and 50,000 for "frontline and health workers" in the DRC, the WHO explained on Thursday.

The Ebola outbreak in the DRC has already caused 2,516 deaths among 5,290 confirmed cases, according to the latest data published by the Congolese authorities.

It "is growing exponentially", warned Julien Harneis, the UN's senior Ebola coordinator, on Friday.

This month, WHO vaccine experts recommended a full-scale human trial of Ervebo, the only existing approved Ebola vaccine, to see if it offered cross-protection against the Bundibugyo strain.

Two vaccines specifically targeting the Bundibugyo strain are in clinical trial phases: one is being developed by the US-based group Moderna, which uses mRNA technology, and the other by Britain's University of Oxford.

In addition, an "rVSV Bundibugyo" vaccine, described by the WHO as "the most promising", is to be developed by Singapore-based Hilleman Laboratories.

Ebola, which is transmitted through contact with bodily fluids and causes fever, has killed more than 15,000 people in Africa over the past 50 years.


US, Iran Keep Up Hostile Rhetoric Ahead of New Sanctions

A woman holds an Iranian flag during a pro-government campaign in downtown Tehran, Iran, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)
A woman holds an Iranian flag during a pro-government campaign in downtown Tehran, Iran, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

US, Iran Keep Up Hostile Rhetoric Ahead of New Sanctions

A woman holds an Iranian flag during a pro-government campaign in downtown Tehran, Iran, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)
A woman holds an Iranian flag during a pro-government campaign in downtown Tehran, Iran, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP)

The United States and Iran exchanged defiant messages ahead of Monday's scheduled announcement of new US economic sanctions that could impact the country and Tehran's most important trading partners including China.

As the war neared six months old, the two sides were not exchanging fire but also not pursuing peace talks. All the while, oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz have virtually halted as Tehran clings to its leverage by threatening to strike any unauthorized oil tankers that attempt to transit the narrow waterway.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent will hold a press conference on Monday amid promises to reveal "the toughest sanctions in history" on Iran while also urging China to cooperate with Washington.

China buys more than 80% of Iran's ‌shipped oil, according ‌to 2025 data from analytics firm Kpler. Beijing urged diplomacy.

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson ‌Esmaeil ⁠Baghaei said on Saturday ⁠that the imminent US announcement of new economic sanctions on Iran was an "assertion of extraterritorial sovereignty over every independent member state of the United Nations."

"Such secondary sanctions find no foundation in international law," he said in a post on X.

US President Donald Trump, who has warned of economic consequences against any country that provides "any type of lifeline to Iran," said on Friday that Washington was observing "what happens" in the conflict.

"They would love to make a deal, but they're not ready to make the right deal, in my opinion," Trump said of Iran.

HORMUZ TRAFFIC HALTED

While the US has ⁠effectively blockaded Iranian vessels in their ports, the Strait of Hormuz remained bottled ‌up with thousands of seafarers stranded on hundreds of vessels.

Only four ‌commodity ships sailed along the strait on Thursday, none of them large crude carriers or liquefied natural gas tankers, ship-tracking data ‌showed.

US Energy Secretary Chris Wright said the US military helped move a seven-day average of 8 million ‌barrels a day of oil through the strait. That's down from more than 20 million per day before the war or about one of every five barrels consumed worldwide.

US attacks have severely diminished Iran's economy and devastated its navy and air force, but Tehran maintains enough missile and drone capability to impede oil tanker traffic and attack regional countries.

Trump, meanwhile, has yet to ‌achieve objectives he set at the start of the war such as dismantling Iran's nuclear program - the state of which remains uncertain given that UN inspectors have ⁠been shut out since ⁠2025 - and creating conditions for Iranians to overthrow their clerical rulers.

Thousands have been killed, including 168 Iranian school children on the first day of the war. The US has reported more than 750 military personnel wounded and 18 killed.

IRANIAN ECONOMY DAMAGED

The chief of staff of Iran's armed forces, Major General Ali Abdollahi, promised on Friday that Iran would respond to enemy threats militarily with "crushing, punishing and devastating responses.”

Still, President Masoud Pezeshkian called for a diplomatic solution.

"It would be better to end the war today, when we are powerful and have dignity, and the whole world acknowledges our victory and emphasizes that America, contrary to all regulations, attacked our schools, hospitals, and infrastructure and is hated in the world," Pezeshkian said, according to the ISNA news agency.

Iran's parliament speaker, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, the country's main negotiator in mediated talks with the US, acknowledged the strain on Iran's economy in comments to Iranian and Iraqi businesspeople late on Thursday.

"No matter how much military power we have, we won't survive if people are hungry and we don't have financial turnover, economic growth and national production," Qalibaf said, according to official news agency IRNA.


UK, Canada, Australia Slam Israel Ending Probe into Aid Worker Killings

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
TT

UK, Canada, Australia Slam Israel Ending Probe into Aid Worker Killings

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)

Britain, Canada, and Australia on Friday condemned as "shameful" Israel's decision to close an investigation into the death of seven aid workers killed in Gaza in 2024.

The World Central Kitchen employees -- three Britons, a dual US-Canadian national, a Pole, an Australian, and a Palestinian -- died in a drone strike on their vehicle convoy after overseeing the unloading of a food aid shipment.

Israel's military called the incident a "tragic mistake".

"In the more than two years since, we have been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account," the three nations said in a joint statement.

"The announcement by the Israeli army on 19 August 2026 that it would not pursue criminal investigations into this strike, without further explanation, is shameful," it said.

The incident in April 2024 sparked global outrage and renewed calls to ensure the safety of aid workers in Gaza.

"Announcing this decision on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honored the courage and sacrifice of humanitarians, was particularly egregious," the joint statement added.

The Israeli military acknowledged a series of errors at various levels of command, but a preliminary investigation concluded on Wednesday that there was no "reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct".

The US-based World Central Kitchen condemned the decision calling it "inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive".

It demanded an independent commission to investigate the airstrikes "because the Israeli army cannot credibly investigate its own conduct".

On Thursday, Australia expressed outrage at the closure of the investigation and summoned Israel's ambassador to the country.