Trump’s Campaign Seeks to Win Over Muslim, Arab Voters

Demonstrators display Palestinian flags and chant slogans while marching Tuesday, May 21, 2024, in Boston. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)
Demonstrators display Palestinian flags and chant slogans while marching Tuesday, May 21, 2024, in Boston. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)
TT

Trump’s Campaign Seeks to Win Over Muslim, Arab Voters

Demonstrators display Palestinian flags and chant slogans while marching Tuesday, May 21, 2024, in Boston. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)
Demonstrators display Palestinian flags and chant slogans while marching Tuesday, May 21, 2024, in Boston. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

While Arab and Muslim American voters supported President Joe Biden in five key battleground states in 2020, a New York Times-Siena College poll released last week shows that Donald Trump led Biden 57-25.

However, these results are unlikely to provide a definitive picture of the decisive voting trends in the November election campaign.

Surprises might emerge in the coming months, especially on the Gaza war, the most controversial issue among Muslim and Arab voters.

Officials in Biden's Democratic campaign have welcomed the decline of the “uncommitted” protesting the President in the primary election votes.

Last February, an exit poll of 527 Muslim voters who participated in Michigan’s presidential primary election showed that 94 percent voted “uncommitted” in protest to Biden’s support for the Israeli government’s war in Gaza.

However, this percentage dropped dramatically in Nebraska, Maryland and West Virginia.

Biden won 90 percent of the votes facing his challenger Dean Phillips in the Nebraska congressman’s home state, while Trump beat Nikki Haley with slightly over 80 percent in the state’s Republican primary.

In Maryland, 10 percent of voters statewide checked the “uncommitted” box and Biden won the majority of the 90 percent.

The exception was in West Virginia where the former president captured 88 percent of the vote there.

Amid indications of a decline in the “uncommitted” campaign protesting Biden, press reports said Trump is making a strategic pitch to Arab Americans who feel betrayed by Democrats in the war between Israel and Gaza and the Middle East in general.

Now, as the election nears, some Arab American donors and activists are considering not just sitting out the race, but working outright to elect Trump.

The Washington Post said that in a private meeting last week in Michigan, Trump’s surrogates did their best to bring them into the fold.

On Tuesday, a group of Arab American donors and activists from around the country convened in Oakland Hills, Mich., for a private dinner initiated by Trump’s former ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell.

Grenell, who declined comment, is not a formal member of the Trump campaign. But Trump has recently referred to him as “my envoy” and he is seen as a contender for a top national security position if Trump prevails in November.

Tiffany Trump’s husband, Michael Boulos, and his father, Massad Boulos — a Lebanese business tycoon — also attended. The dinner is one of many being organized by Trump’s associates with Arab American leaders in several battleground states.

It’s not at all clear Trump would be better for Arab Americans. During his first term, he implemented multiple policies the community disliked, including arbitrary immigration restrictions from Muslim-majority countries and cutting funding for humanitarian aid for Palestinians.

There’s good reason to think Trump would be even more supportive of the Israeli government than Biden.

Meanwhile, Democrats are betting on a decline of the “uncommitted” campaign against Biden between now and November, in case his administration exerts efforts to stop the war in Gaza, release hostages and prisoners from both sides, and offer a concrete path to resolving the conflict.

But the fact that this opening even exists for a pro-Trump Arab American movement should be a wake-up call for the Biden team particularly that the entire presidential race has been decided by a few votes in five swing states, some of which are home to a large number of Arab and Muslim communities.



Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.


First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)

A plane from Spain's Air Europa landed in Venezuela Tuesday, according to a flight tracking monitor, the first European commercial flight to arrive in the country since the United States toppled president Nicolas Maduro.

A slew of international carriers stopped flying to Venezuela after the United States warned of possible military activity there in late November -- a prelude to its surprise attack on January 3.

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner landed at Simon Bolivar International Airport, which serves the Venezuelan capital Caracas, at 9:00 pm (0100 GMT).

Since US forces raided Venezuela and captured Maduro, US President Donald Trump has struck a cooperative relationship with interim president Delcy Rodriguez.

Late last month he called for flights to resume to the country.

Spanish airline Iberia is evaluating security guarantees before announcing a return, according to the Spanish press.

Portugal's TAP has said it will resume flights. Colombian airline Avianca and Panama's Copa have already restarted operations.

Hoping to prompt US flights, the Trump administration has lifted a 2019 ban on US airlines flying to the country.