Iran Conceals Drills Amid Speculation it Might Reconsider Attack on Israel

Iranians drive past an anti-Israeli billboard with a message reading in Persian 'Smile for a while as you will cry very much soon' at Palestine Square in Tehran, Iran, 05 August 2024. EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH
Iranians drive past an anti-Israeli billboard with a message reading in Persian 'Smile for a while as you will cry very much soon' at Palestine Square in Tehran, Iran, 05 August 2024. EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH
TT

Iran Conceals Drills Amid Speculation it Might Reconsider Attack on Israel

Iranians drive past an anti-Israeli billboard with a message reading in Persian 'Smile for a while as you will cry very much soon' at Palestine Square in Tehran, Iran, 05 August 2024. EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH
Iranians drive past an anti-Israeli billboard with a message reading in Persian 'Smile for a while as you will cry very much soon' at Palestine Square in Tehran, Iran, 05 August 2024. EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH

Iran carried out secretive military exercises in the western part of the country early Thursday, as US sources suggested that Tehran might rethink launching a multi-front attack on Israel.

US officials observed “less readiness than expected” among Iranian forces.

Iran, along with its allies Hamas and Hezbollah, accuses Israel of assassinating Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh on July 31. The killing was part of a series of targeted attacks on senior Hamas figures during the ongoing conflict between Israel and Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip.

Israel has not claimed responsibility for Haniyeh’s death.

News channels linked to Iran’s Revolutionary Guard confirmed the start of military drills in western Iran on Telegram. They reported a notice warning civilian aircraft to avoid the area.

The exercises, which include long-range missile tests, are expected to continue into Friday. The warnings highlighted potential dangers in certain areas up to 12,000 feet, but details about the drills were scarce.

Iranian media, including the Tasnim and Fars news agencies, did not report the drills. Earlier reports suggested that Iran had moved missiles to western regions, possibly in preparation for a strike on Israel.

Saeed Chalandari, head of Iran’s International Airport in Tehran, denied reports of a warning against entering the airspace of western Iran, but it was not clear if that applied to the entire country.

On Wednesday, Egyptian civil aviation authorities instructed national carriers to avoid Iranian airspace for three hours on Thursday morning, following Tehran's notice about the military drills.

A similar warning was issued on Wednesday.

French President Emmanuel Macron urged Iranian President Masoud Bezeshkian on Wednesday to avoid escalating military tensions in the region and to discourage Iran’s allies from taking destabilizing actions.

Politico reported that the Biden administration pressured Tehran through diplomatic channels, urging Iran to reconsider its plans for a military attack on Israel, especially if Haniyeh’s death was the result of an Israeli operation that did not harm Iranian citizens.

While officials still expect an Iranian response to Haniyeh’s killing, it appears Tehran is rethinking its strategy, and the US no longer expects an imminent attack on Israel.

CNN reported that Iran is still considering its response. A US official noted that while Iran has made some preparations for a possible attack on Israel, not all expected steps have been taken.

Two sources told CNN that Lebanon’s Hezbollah might act independently of Iran in attacking Israel.

Last week, Israel killed the top military commander for Hezbollah, Fuad Shukr, in Lebanon.

One source said the group, which is backed by Iran, is advancing its plans to strike Israel in the coming days without prior warning, moving faster than Iran.

It is unclear whether or how Iran and Hezbollah are coordinating a potential attack. Some officials believe the two sides may not be fully aligned.

White House officials, however, said that while they still expect a response from Iran to Haniyeh’s assassination, intense diplomatic efforts and regional communications may have caused Tehran to reconsider its stance.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.