Dutch Police Seize Scores at Pro-Palestinian Rally after Football Unrest

 Pro-Palestinian protesters face Dutch police during a banned demonstration in Amsterdam, Netherlands November 10, 2024. (Reuters)
Pro-Palestinian protesters face Dutch police during a banned demonstration in Amsterdam, Netherlands November 10, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

Dutch Police Seize Scores at Pro-Palestinian Rally after Football Unrest

 Pro-Palestinian protesters face Dutch police during a banned demonstration in Amsterdam, Netherlands November 10, 2024. (Reuters)
Pro-Palestinian protesters face Dutch police during a banned demonstration in Amsterdam, Netherlands November 10, 2024. (Reuters)

Dutch police took away more than 100 pro-Palestinian protesters on Sunday who defied a ban on demonstrations in Amsterdam following clashes this week involving Israeli football fans.

Hundreds of demonstrators gathered in the capital's Dam Square, chanting "Free Palestine" and "Amsterdam says no to genocide", in reference to the Gaza war.

Israel denies allegations of genocide in its more than year-long offensive against Palestinian group Hamas.

After a local court ratified the city council's ban, police moved in, instructing protesters to leave and rounding up more than 100 of them, according to a Reuters journalist.

They were put on buses and dropped off on the outskirts of the city, police spokesperson Ramona van den Ochtend said, without confirming how many had been picked up.

One protester was taken to an ambulance bleeding.

The ban, which authorities extended for another four days until Thursday, has been in place since Friday after attacks on Israeli football supporters following a match between visiting Maccabi Tel Aviv and Ajax Amsterdam.

At least five people were injured in assaults that Dutch authorities and foreign leaders including Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu denounced as antisemitic.

DETENTIONS

Protest organizers said in a message on Instagram that they were outraged by the "framing" of unrest around the match as antisemitic and called the protest ban draconian.

"We refuse to let the charge of antisemitism be weaponized to suppress Palestinian resistance," they said.

Four people remain detained on suspicion of violent acts, including two minors. Another 40 people have been fined for public disturbance and 10 for offences including vandalism.

As well as suffering attacks by what the mayor called "antisemitic hit-and-run squads", visiting Israeli fans burned a Palestinian flag and used sticks, pipes and rocks in clashes with opponents, according to a video and police report.

Before the match against Ajax, Maccabi fans tore a Palestinian flag off a building in Amsterdam and chanted anti-Arab slogans on their way to the stadium. There were also reports of Maccabi fans starting fights.

Local police chief Olivier Dutilh told the court on Sunday that the protest ban was still needed as antisemitic incidents were continuing, including people being pushed out of taxis and told to show their passports on Saturday night.

The Netherlands has seen a rise in antisemitic incidents since the Gaza war began in October last year.

More than 43,000 Palestinians have been killed and millions displaced in Israel's military offensive on Gaza, according to health officials there, launched after Hamas killed 1,200 Israelis and took more than 250 hostage in a cross-border attack, according to Israel.



Minister Says US Can Access Minerals, Military Bases in Somaliland

Minister of the Presidency of the Republic of Somaliland, Khadar Hussein Abdi looks on during an interview in Hargeisa on February 21, 2026. (Photo by Tony KARUMBA / AFP)
Minister of the Presidency of the Republic of Somaliland, Khadar Hussein Abdi looks on during an interview in Hargeisa on February 21, 2026. (Photo by Tony KARUMBA / AFP)
TT

Minister Says US Can Access Minerals, Military Bases in Somaliland

Minister of the Presidency of the Republic of Somaliland, Khadar Hussein Abdi looks on during an interview in Hargeisa on February 21, 2026. (Photo by Tony KARUMBA / AFP)
Minister of the Presidency of the Republic of Somaliland, Khadar Hussein Abdi looks on during an interview in Hargeisa on February 21, 2026. (Photo by Tony KARUMBA / AFP)

Somaliland is willing to give the United States access to its minerals and military bases, a minister has told AFP, as the breakaway region of Somalia seeks international recognition.

Israel became the only country in the world to recognize Somaliland's independence in December -- something the territory has been seeking since declaring its autonomy from Somalia in 1991.

The government in Mogadishu still considers Somaliland an integral part of Somalia even though the territory has run its own affairs since 1991, with its own passports, currency, army and police force.

"We are willing to give exclusive (access to our minerals) to the United States. Also, we are open to offer military bases to the United States," Khadar Hussein Abdi, minister of the presidency, told AFP in an interview on Saturday.

"We believe that we will agree on something with the United States."

Somaliland president Abdirahman Mohamed Abdullahi already suggested in recent weeks granting Israel privileged access to its mineral resources.

And Khadar Hussein Abdi said he could not rule out the possibility of also allowing Israel to set up a military presence.

The African Union and most Arab countries have thrown their support behind Somalia and condemned the move.

The US, however, defended what it said was Israel's right to recognize Somaliland, although President Donald Trump said he was unlikely to follow suit, despite pressure from some within his Republican party.


Senior Iranian Official: New Talks with US Planned in Early March, Interim Deal Possible

Pedestrians walk past a billboard depicting a US aircraft carrier with damaged fighter jets on its deck and a sign in Farsi and English reading, "If you sow the wind, you'll reap the whirlwind," in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, Feb. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Pedestrians walk past a billboard depicting a US aircraft carrier with damaged fighter jets on its deck and a sign in Farsi and English reading, "If you sow the wind, you'll reap the whirlwind," in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, Feb. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
TT

Senior Iranian Official: New Talks with US Planned in Early March, Interim Deal Possible

Pedestrians walk past a billboard depicting a US aircraft carrier with damaged fighter jets on its deck and a sign in Farsi and English reading, "If you sow the wind, you'll reap the whirlwind," in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, Feb. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Pedestrians walk past a billboard depicting a US aircraft carrier with damaged fighter jets on its deck and a sign in Farsi and English reading, "If you sow the wind, you'll reap the whirlwind," in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, Feb. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

Iran and the United States have differing views over the scope and mechanism to lift sanctions on Tehran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Sunday, adding that new talks were planned in early March.

The official said Tehran could seriously ⁠consider a combination of ⁠exporting part of its highly enriched uranium (HEU) stockpile, diluting the purity of its HEU and a regional consortium for enriching uranium, but in return Iran's ⁠right to "peaceful nuclear enrichment" must be recognized.

"The negotiations continue and the possibility of reaching an interim agreement exists," the official said.

Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Friday that he expected to have a draft counterproposal ready within days following nuclear talks with the ⁠United ⁠States this week, while US President Donald Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.

The senior official said Tehran will not hand over control of its oil and mineral resources but US companies can always participate as contractors in Iran’s oil and gas fields.


Witkoff Says Trump Questioning why Iran Has Not 'Capitulated'

US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff listens as President Donald Trump (not pictured) speaks at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff listens as President Donald Trump (not pictured) speaks at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
TT

Witkoff Says Trump Questioning why Iran Has Not 'Capitulated'

US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff listens as President Donald Trump (not pictured) speaks at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff listens as President Donald Trump (not pictured) speaks at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

US envoy Steve Witkoff said on Saturday that President Donald Trump is questioning why Iran has not "capitulated" in the face of Washington's military build-up aimed at pressuring them into a nuclear deal.

The United States and Iran this week resumed Oman-mediated talks in Geneva aimed at averting the possibility of military action, after Washington dispatched two aircraft carriers, jets and weaponry to the region to back its warnings.

In a Fox News interview with Trump's daughter-in-law Lara, Witkoff said the president was "curious" about Iran's position after he had warned them of severe consequences in the event they failed to strike a deal.

"I don't want to use the word 'frustrated,' because he understands he has plenty of alternatives, but he's curious as to why they haven't... I don't want to use the word 'capitulated,' but why they haven't capitulated," AFP quoted him as saying.

"Why, under this pressure, with the amount of seapower and naval power over there, why haven't they come to us and said, 'We profess we don't want a weapon, so here's what we're prepared to do'? And yet it's sort of hard to get them to that place."

The US envoy also confirmed in the interview that he had met with Reza Pahlavi, who has not returned to Iran since before the 1979 Iranian Revolution that ousted the monarchy.

"I met him at the direction of the president," he said, without providing further details.

US-based Pahlavi last week told a crowd in Munich that he was ready to lead the country to a "secular democratic future" after Trump said regime change would be best for the country.

Witkoff's comments come after Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a draft proposal for an agreement with Washington would be ready in a matter of days.

Trump said on Thursday that Iran had at most 15 days to make a deal on concerns starting with its nuclear program.

As talks between the two nations continued in Geneva, Iran's supreme leader Ali Khamenei on Tuesday said that Trump would not succeed in destroying the country.