Syrians in Germany Worried by Some Politicians’ Eagerness for Them to Go Home after Assad’s Fall

Anas Modamani, 27 a Syrian refugee in Germany, shows his famous selfie with German Chancellor Angela Merkel he took after his arrival in the country, in a Syrian restaurant in Berlin, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2024. (AP)
Anas Modamani, 27 a Syrian refugee in Germany, shows his famous selfie with German Chancellor Angela Merkel he took after his arrival in the country, in a Syrian restaurant in Berlin, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2024. (AP)
TT

Syrians in Germany Worried by Some Politicians’ Eagerness for Them to Go Home after Assad’s Fall

Anas Modamani, 27 a Syrian refugee in Germany, shows his famous selfie with German Chancellor Angela Merkel he took after his arrival in the country, in a Syrian restaurant in Berlin, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2024. (AP)
Anas Modamani, 27 a Syrian refugee in Germany, shows his famous selfie with German Chancellor Angela Merkel he took after his arrival in the country, in a Syrian restaurant in Berlin, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2024. (AP)

Nearly a decade after he arrived in Germany from Syria and took a selfie with then-Chancellor Angela Merkel, Anas Modamani has finished his university studies and has a German passport.

He’s less positive about some German politicians’ reactions to the fall of Bashar al-Assad, which was followed within hours by the first talk of Syrians returning.

"Berlin has become my second home, I will definitely stay here," Modamani said Tuesday. "I managed it" — a reference to Merkel's famous slogan "We will manage it," coined as Germany faced the challenge of integrating hundreds of thousands of migrants.

As Syrians took to the streets of Berlin Sunday, far-right leader Alice Weidel wrote on social platform X that anyone celebrating a "free Syria" in Germany "evidently no longer has a reason to flee. He should return to Syria immediately."

With a German election approaching and the government under longstanding pressure to reduce irregular migration, some mainstream opposition politicians also appeared eager to kickstart the return of Syrians.

On Monday, prominent conservative lawmaker Jens Spahn suggested on n-tv television the government could say that "for everyone who wants to go back to Syria, we will charter planes for them, they will get a starting fund of 1,000 euros ($1,055)." He stressed, though, that it will take time before it's clear whether things have stabilized.

Such ideas strike Syrians as indecently hasty. Modamani, a 27-year-old from Damascus who came to Germany in 2015, said he was "shocked" by reports of the 1,000-euro proposal.

"I think that’s a terrible idea," he said as he sat over lunch with Syrian friends at a Berlin restaurant. "The situation in Syria is still just as dangerous as before."

Modamani, who finished his studies in business communication, illustrates what German officials acknowledge is the successful integration of many Syrians. A deputy interior minister, Juliane Seifert, said Syrians are "a group that has significantly above-average educational qualifications," among them many doctors.

The number of Syrians gaining German citizenship has risen from 6,700 in 2020 to 75,500 last year, when they were the biggest single group and accounted for 38% of all naturalizations.

Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann, whose conservative party has talked tough on migration, said Tuesday that many Syrian refugees are now "superbly integrated in our country, have a job and are urgently needed here" and no one is thinking of getting such people to leave Germany.

"Those who have already integrated well are still cordially welcome," Herrmann told Deutschlandfunk radio Tuesday. "But it is clear that there are also people who have been here for 10 years and don’t have a job and haven’t integrated well, and then it’s right to help them return to their homeland" if Syria stabilizes.

It's not surprising that hopes of a more stable Syria raise hopes in Germany of reducing immigration. Official figures show that, at the end of October, there were nearly 975,000 Syrian nationals in Germany, a country of 83 million. The majority had some kind of refugee or other protected status.

On Monday, Germany and a string of other European countries announced that they were suspending decisions on Syrians' asylum applications as they wait for the situation in Syria to become clearer. Over 47,000 cases are pending in Germany, one of the main destinations for Syrians outside the Middle East.

Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said that is the right thing to do, but it would be "unserious to speculate in such a volatile situation" about the eventual return of Syrians.

Among those who will face a longer wait is Basil Khalil, a 26-year-old Kurdish Syrian who said he applied for asylum Monday after crossing from Türkiye into Bulgaria and traveling to Germany on the back of a truck. Khalil said he spent the last nine years as a refugee in Türkiye, but was worried that Turkish authorities may soon start deporting Syrians.

"I applied for asylum in Germany because I’m afraid that back in Syria I may get drafted as a soldier," he told The Associated Press as his cousin translated for him.

"But if the German government will deport me, then I guess I will go back," Khalil said. "We Syrians have been through so much suffering, all we want to do is survive."

Tarek Alaows, a spokesperson for pro-refugee group Pro Asyl, said that "many from the Syrian community naturally want to return ... Many want to participate in the reconstruction. But they must not be forced to leave the country" for a still-unstable Syria.

Alaows, 35, who fled Damascus in 2015 and became a German citizen over three years ago, said many Syrians in Germany were concerned to hear public calls so soon for the quick return of Syrians.

"These debates that are going on right now — nobody needs them," he said.

Yamn Molhem, who arrived 10 years ago, sees it the same way. The 39-year-old father of four now manages the Aldimashqi restaurant on Berlin’s Sonnenallee boulevard, known for its many Arabic stores and businesses.

"All of my family has left Aleppo, and the situation in Syria is generally very unstable," he said.

Molhem said he is applying for a German passport, proudly adding that his youngest son already has one.

"They can’t deport our family," said, "My son is German."

In general, Molhem said, Germans should think twice before they even consider sending back Syrians who work, pay taxes and help keep the economy running.

"Syrians don’t just sleep here," he said.



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.