How Israelis Spied for Iran in Biggest Infiltration in Decades

People play volleyball on a beach in Tel Aviv, Israel December 10, 2024. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov
People play volleyball on a beach in Tel Aviv, Israel December 10, 2024. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov
TT

How Israelis Spied for Iran in Biggest Infiltration in Decades

People play volleyball on a beach in Tel Aviv, Israel December 10, 2024. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov
People play volleyball on a beach in Tel Aviv, Israel December 10, 2024. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov

Israel's arrest of almost 30 mostly Jewish citizens who allegedly spied for Iran in nine covert cells has caused alarm in the country and points to Tehran's biggest effort in decades to infiltrate its arch foe, four Israeli security sources said.

Among the unfulfilled goals of the alleged cells was the assassination of an Israeli nuclear scientist and former military officials, while one group gathered information on military bases and air defenses, security service Shin Bet has said.

Last week, the agency and Israel's police said a father and son team had passed on details of Israeli force movements including in the Golan Heights where they lived.

The arrests follow repeated efforts by Iranian intelligence operatives over the past two years to recruit ordinary Israelis to gather intelligence and carry out attacks in exchange for money, the four serving and former military and security officials told Reuters.

The sources asked not to be named due to the sensitivity of the matter.

In a statement sent to media after the wave of arrests, Iran’s UN mission did not confirm or deny seeking to recruit Israelis and said that “from a logical standpoint” any such efforts by Iranian intelligence services would focus on non-Iranian and non-Muslim individuals to lessen suspicion.

Targeted Groups

Unlike Iranian espionage operations in previous decades that recruited a high-profile businessman and a former cabinet minister, the new alleged spies were largely people on the fringes of Israeli society, including recent immigrants, an army deserter and a convicted sex offender, conversations with the sources, court records and official statements show.

Much of their activity was limited to spraying anti-Netanyahu or anti-government graffiti on walls and damaging cars, Shin Bet has said.

Concerns About Timing

Nonetheless, the scale of the arrests and involvement of so many Jewish Israelis, in addition to Arab citizens, has caused concern in Israel at a time it remains at war with Iran-backed Hamas in Gaza and that a ceasefire deal with Hezbollah remains fragile.

Shin Bet on Oct. 21 said the espionage activities were “among the most severe the state of Israel has known.”

The arrests also follow a wave of attempted hits and kidnappings linked to Tehran in Europe and the United States.

The unusual decision to provide detailed public accounts of the alleged plots was a move by Israel's security services to signal both to Iran and potential saboteurs inside Israel that they would be caught, Ben Hanan said.

“You want to alert the public. And you also want to make an example of people that may also have intentions or plans to co-operate with the enemy,” he said.

Israeli Intelligence Successes

Israel has achieved major intelligence successes over the past few years in a shadow war with its regional foe, including allegedly killing a top nuclear scientist. With the recent arrests Israel has “so far” thwarted Tehran's efforts to respond, one active military official said.

Iran has been weakened by Israel's attacks on its proxy Hezbollah in Lebanon, and the related fall of Tehran's ally, former president Bashar Assad in Syria.

Social Media Recruits

Iranian intelligence agencies often find potential recruits on social media platforms, Israeli police said in a video released in November warning of ongoing infiltration attempts.

The recruiting efforts are at times direct. One message sent to an Israeli civilian and seen by Reuters promised $15,000 in exchange for information, with an email and number to call.

Iran has also approached expatriate networks of Jews from Caucasus countries living in Canada and the United States, said one of the sources, a former senior official who worked on Israel's counter espionage efforts until 2007.

Israeli authorities have said publicly some of the Jewish suspects were originally from Caucasus countries.

Recruited individuals are first assigned innocuous-seeming tasks in return for money, before handlers gradually demand specific intelligence on targets, including about individuals and sensitive military infrastructure, backed by the threat of blackmail, said the former official.

Case of Victorsson

One Israeli suspect, Vladislav Victorsson, 30, was arrested on Oct. 14 along with his 18-year-old girlfriend in the Israeli city of Ramat Gan near Tel Aviv.

He had been jailed in 2015 for sex with minors as young as 14, according to a court indictment from that time.

An acquaintance of Victorsson told Reuters he had told her he had spoken to Iranians using the Telegram messaging app.

She said that Victorsson had lied to his handlers about his military experience.

The acquaintance declined to be named, citing safety fears.

Igal Dotan, Victorsson's lawyer, told Reuters he was representing the suspect, adding that the legal process would take time and that his client was being held in tough conditions.

Dotan said he could only respond to the current case and had not defended Victorsson in earlier trials.

Sabotage Activities

Shin Bet and police said Victorsson knew he was working for Iranian intelligence, carrying out tasks including spraying graffiti, hiding money, posting flyers and burning cars in the Hayarkon Park in Tel Aviv for which he received over $5,000.

According to the investigation made public by the security services, he was found to have subsequently agreed to carry out an assassination of an Israeli personality, throw a grenade into a house and also look to obtain a sniper rifle, pistols and fragmentation grenades.

He recruited his girlfriend, who was tasked with recruiting homeless people to photograph demonstrations, the security services said.



Iranian Mourning Ceremonies Prompt New Crackdowns in Echo of 1979 Revolution

Iranians walk on a street in Tehran, Iran, 16 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranians walk on a street in Tehran, Iran, 16 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iranian Mourning Ceremonies Prompt New Crackdowns in Echo of 1979 Revolution

Iranians walk on a street in Tehran, Iran, 16 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranians walk on a street in Tehran, Iran, 16 February 2026. (EPA)

Iranians have returned to the streets this week to mourn those killed by security forces during last month's anti-government demonstrations, sparking some new crackdowns in an echo of the 1979 revolution that brought down the US-backed Shah.

The anti-Shah revolutionaries turned Shiite Muslim memorial processions 40 days after each death into new protests, which prompted renewed violence from the authorities and fresh "martyrs" for the cause.

The clerical establishment's opponents, deploying the same tactics after five decades, have yet to match the momentum of those times, but Iran's clerical rulers, threatened with military attack by US President Donald Trump over their nuclear and security policies, have demonstrated their concern.

They deployed security forces to some cemeteries and invited citizens to attend state-organized 40-day "Chehelom" ceremonies on Tuesday after apologizing to "all those affected" by violence they blamed on people described as "terrorists".

"They tried to prevent history repeating itself by holding these ceremonies in mosques across ‌the country. To ‌prevent any gatherings of angry families in cemeteries, but they failed," said one rights activist ‌in ⁠Iran who declined ⁠to be named for fear of retribution.

SECURITY FORCES CLASH WITH MOURNERS

Videos circulating on social media showed families holding their own memorials across Iran on Tuesday, 40 days after security forces began two days of widespread shooting that human rights groups say killed thousands of protesters.

Some of Tuesday's memorials turned into wider anti-government protests and some were met with deadly force.

In the Kurdish town of Abdanan in Ilam province, witnesses and activists said security forces opened fire on hundreds of mourners gathered at a cemetery.

Videos showed people scattering as gunfire rang out amid chants of "Death to the dictator", a reference to Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

Reuters journalists verified that ⁠the videos were filmed at the cemetery. They were unable to verify the date but ‌found no versions posted before Tuesday: eyewitnesses and activists said that was when ‌people gathered at the cemetery were fired upon.

Hengaw, a Kurdish Iranian rights group, said at least three people were injured and nine ‌arrested in Abdanan. Similar clashes were reported in Mashhad and Hamedan. Sources in Iran said internet access was heavily restricted ‌in those cities.

WEDNESDAY IS 40 DAYS SINCE HEIGHT OF JANUARY PROTESTS

More mourning ceremonies were expected to be taking place on Wednesday, 40 days since the deadliest two days of the January unrest, although communications restrictions meant that it was not immediately possible to tell how many or their outcome.

January's unrest grew from modest economic protests in December among traders in Tehran's Grand Bazaar into the gravest threat to ‌Iran's theocracy in nearly five decades, with protesters calling for ruling clerics to step down.

Authorities cut internet access, blaming "armed terrorists" linked to Israel and the United States ⁠for the violence, and have arrested ⁠journalists, lawyers, activists, human rights advocates and students, rights groups say.

Iranian officials have told Reuters the leadership is worried a US strike could erode its grip on power by fueling more protests. Repression, inequality, corruption and the sponsorship of proxies abroad are the main grievances.

"How long can they kill people to stay in power? People are angry, people are frustrated," said government employee Sara, 28, from the central city of Isfahan.

"The Islamic Republic has brought nothing but war, economic misery and death to my country".

Trump has deployed aircraft carriers, fighter jets, guided-missile destroyers and other capabilities to the Middle East for a possible attack if talks to limit Iran's nuclear program and weaken its foreign proxies do not yield results.

Even without a US attack, continued isolation from Western sanctions would likely fuel further public anger.

In 1979, the anti-Shah revolt in provincial towns and villages was amplified by oil workers whose strikes cut most of Iran's revenue, and bazaar merchants who funded the rebel clerics.

This time there have been no reports of either, but people have adopted some of the small-scale tactics, chanting “Allah is great” and “Death to the dictator”, often from rooftops, during nightly demonstrations, according to witnesses and social media posts.


Iran ‘Drafting Framework to Advance’ Future US Talks, Says FM

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iran ‘Drafting Framework to Advance’ Future US Talks, Says FM

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

Iran's top diplomat Abbas Araghchi said on Wednesday that Tehran was "drafting" a framework for future talks with the United States, as the US energy secretary said Washington would stop Iran's nuclear ambitions "one way or another".

Diplomatic efforts are underway to avert the possibility of US military intervention in Iran, with Washington conducting a military build-up in the region.

Iran and the US held a second round of Oman-mediated negotiations on Tuesday in Geneva, after talks last year collapsed following Israel's attack on Iran in June, which started a 12-day war.

Araghchi said on Tuesday that Tehran had agreed with Washington on "guiding principles", but US Vice President JD Vance said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's "red lines".

On Wednesday, Araghchi held a phone call with Rafael Grossi, the head of the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency.

In the call, Araghchi "stressed Iran's focus on drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance future talks", according to a statement from the Iranian foreign ministry.

Also on Wednesday, US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned that Washington would deter Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other".

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

Earlier on Wednesday, Reza Najafi, Iran's permanent representative to the IAEA in Vienna, held a joint meeting with Grossi and the ambassadors of China and Russia "to exchange views" on the upcoming session of the agency's board of governors meetings and "developments related to Iran's nuclear program", Iran's mission in Vienna said on X.

Tehran has suspended some cooperation with the IAEA and restricted the watchdog's inspectors from accessing sites bombed by Israel and the United States, accusing the UN body of bias and of failing to condemn the strikes.

- Displays of military might -

The Omani-mediated talks were aimed at averting the possibility of US military action, while Tehran is demanding the lifting of US sanctions that are crippling its economy.

Iran has insisted that the discussions be limited to the nuclear issue, though Washington has previously pushed for Tehran's ballistic missiles program and support for armed groups in the region to be on the table.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened to intervene militarily against Iran, first over a deadly crackdown on protesters last month and then more recently over its nuclear program.

On Wednesday, Israeli President Isaac Herzog sent a message to Iranians, saying "I want to send the people of Iran best wishes for the month of Ramadan, and I truly hope and pray that this reign of terror will end and that we will see a different era in the Middle East," according to a statement from his office.

Washington has ordered two aircraft carriers to the region, with the first, the USS Abraham Lincoln with nearly 80 aircraft, positioned about 700 kilometers (435 miles) from the Iranian coast as of Sunday, satellite images showed.

Iran has also sought to display its own military might, with its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps beginning a series of war games on Monday in the Strait of Hormuz.

Iranian politicians have repeatedly threatened to block the strait, a major global conduit for oil and gas.

On Tuesday, state TV reported that Tehran would close parts of the waterway for safety measures during the drills.

Iran's supreme leader warned on Tuesday that the country had the ability to sink a US warship deployed to the region.


US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."