South Korean Court Reinstates Impeached PM Han Duck-soo as Acting President

Acting President Han Duck-soo (R), who concurrently serves as prime minister, shakes hands with Finance Minister Choi Sang-mok during a meeting with Cabinet members at the government complex in Seoul, South Korea, 24 March 2025, following the Constitutional Court's dismissal of his impeachment that reinstated him as acting president in the ongoing turmoil over suspended President Yoon Suk Yeol's brief imposition of martial law. EPA/YONHAP SOUTH KOREA OUT
Acting President Han Duck-soo (R), who concurrently serves as prime minister, shakes hands with Finance Minister Choi Sang-mok during a meeting with Cabinet members at the government complex in Seoul, South Korea, 24 March 2025, following the Constitutional Court's dismissal of his impeachment that reinstated him as acting president in the ongoing turmoil over suspended President Yoon Suk Yeol's brief imposition of martial law. EPA/YONHAP SOUTH KOREA OUT
TT
20

South Korean Court Reinstates Impeached PM Han Duck-soo as Acting President

Acting President Han Duck-soo (R), who concurrently serves as prime minister, shakes hands with Finance Minister Choi Sang-mok during a meeting with Cabinet members at the government complex in Seoul, South Korea, 24 March 2025, following the Constitutional Court's dismissal of his impeachment that reinstated him as acting president in the ongoing turmoil over suspended President Yoon Suk Yeol's brief imposition of martial law. EPA/YONHAP SOUTH KOREA OUT
Acting President Han Duck-soo (R), who concurrently serves as prime minister, shakes hands with Finance Minister Choi Sang-mok during a meeting with Cabinet members at the government complex in Seoul, South Korea, 24 March 2025, following the Constitutional Court's dismissal of his impeachment that reinstated him as acting president in the ongoing turmoil over suspended President Yoon Suk Yeol's brief imposition of martial law. EPA/YONHAP SOUTH KOREA OUT

South Korea's Constitutional Court reinstated Prime Minister Han Duck-soo to the post of acting president on Monday, striking down his impeachment as he pledged to focus on steering Asia's fourth-biggest economy through a US "trade war".
The ruling, which comes amid months of political turmoil in the country, returns Han to power immediately, Reuters reported. He took over as acting leader from President Yoon Suk Yeol, who was himself impeached over his brief imposition of martial law in December.
"I believe the people are making it very clear, in one voice, that the extreme confrontation in politics must stop," said Han, who thanked the court for its "wise decision" and the cabinet for their hard work while he was suspended.
"As acting president, I will do my best to maintain stable state administration, and devote all wisdom and capabilities to safeguard national interests in the trade war," Han said in televised comments.
South Korea, one of the world's top exporters, has been bracing for the potential impact of a range of threatened tariffs under US President Donald Trump.
South Korea has already seen US tariffs on steel and aluminum and has been seeking an exemption from reciprocal US tariffs due to come in next month. Earlier this month, Trump singled out South Korea for applying high tariffs on US exports.
Yoon's martial law declaration plunged the key US military ally into its greatest political crisis in decades, and sparked a leadership vacuum amid spiraling impeachments, resignations, and criminal indictments for a range of top officials.
Han had initially lasted less than two weeks in the post and was impeached and suspended on December 27 after clashing with the opposition-led parliament by refusing to appoint three more justices to the Constitutional Court.
The justices on the court ruled on Monday seven to one to strike down the impeachment.
Five of the eight justices said the impeachment motion was valid, but there were not enough grounds to impeach Han as he did not violate the constitution or the law, according to a court statement.
Two justices ruled that the impeachment motion against Han, who was acting president at the time, was invalid from the start as two-thirds of lawmakers in parliament did not pass it.
One justice voted to impeach Han.
Han, 75, had served in leadership positions for more than three decades under five presidents, both conservative and liberal.
In a country sharply divided by partisan rhetoric, Han had been seen as a rare example of an official whose varied career transcended party lines.
Still, the opposition-led parliament accused him of not doing enough to thwart Yoon's decision to declare martial law, an accusation he denied.
Lee Jae-myung, head of the opposition Democratic Party, said Han's ruling must be accepted but urged the Constitutional Court to swiftly make a decision on President Yoon's impeachment.
The court is expected to rule within days, though its deliberations have dragged out longer than expected. Yoon also faces a separate criminal trial on charges of leading an insurrection by declaring martial law.
If Yoon is removed, a new presidential election will be held within 60 days.
"The court's continued delay in ruling is fueling concern and conflict ... We can now anticipate the situation going beyond a psychological civil war to become an actual physical civil war," said Lee, who is leading in opinion polls to win an election if Yoon is removed.
South Korea has seen huge, mostly peaceful, rallies both in support of Yoon and calling for his removal in recent months.
Finance Minister Choi Sang-mok had assumed the position of acting president while the cases of Yoon and Han were considered by the Constitutional Court.
The unexpected imposition of martial law on December 3 and the ensuing political upheaval sent shockwaves through South Korea, and raised concern among allies such as the United States under former President Joe Biden, who had seen Yoon as a key partner in efforts to counter China and North Korea.
The martial law in the end only lasted about six hours after lawmakers defied a security cordon around parliament and voted to reject the declaration.



World Leaders React to Trump's Tariffs

Shipping containers are prepared for transport at the Port of Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California, USA, 02 April 2025. EPA/ALLISON DINNER
Shipping containers are prepared for transport at the Port of Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California, USA, 02 April 2025. EPA/ALLISON DINNER
TT
20

World Leaders React to Trump's Tariffs

Shipping containers are prepared for transport at the Port of Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California, USA, 02 April 2025. EPA/ALLISON DINNER
Shipping containers are prepared for transport at the Port of Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California, USA, 02 April 2025. EPA/ALLISON DINNER

US President Donald Trump said he would impose a 10% baseline tariff on all imports to the United States and higher duties on some of the country's biggest trading partners, drawing defiant responses from leaders and governments around the world.

Trump is not imposing his new 10% global tariff rate on goods from top trading partners Canada and Mexico while his previous order remains in place for up to 25% tariffs on many goods from the two countries over border control and fentanyl trafficking issues, the White House said in a fact sheet.

Here are some reactions from top officials and governments around the world: EUROPEAN COMMISSION PRESIDENT URSULA VON DER LEYEN "President Trump's announcement of universal tariffs on the whole world, including the EU, is a major blow to the world economy.Uncertainty will spiral and trigger the rise of further protectionism. The consequences will be dire for millions of people around the globe.We are already finalizing a first package of countermeasures in response to tariffs on steel. And we are now preparing for further countermeasures, to protect our interests and our businesses if negotiations fail."

CHINA COMMERCE MINISTRY "China firmly opposes this and will take countermeasures to safeguard its own rights and interests.There are no winners in trade wars, and there is no way out for protectionism. China urges the US to immediately lift unilateral tariffs and properly resolve differences with its trading partners through dialogue on an equal footing."

JAPAN PRIME MINISTER SHIGERU ISHIBA "The US government's broad trade restrictions will have a significant impact not only on the economic relationship between Japan and the US, but also on the global economy and the multilateral trading system as a whole.We have serious concerns about the consistency of these measures with the WTO Agreement and the Japan-US Trade Agreement.We will continue to strongly urge the US to review its measures."

CANADIAN PRIME MINISTER MARK CARNEY "(Trump) has preserved a number of important elements of our relationship, the commercial relationship between Canada and the United States. But the fentanyl tariffs still remain in place, as do the tariffs for steel and aluminum.We are going to fight these tariffs with countermeasures, we are going to protect our workers, and we are going to build the strongest economy in the G7."

BRAZILIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY "The Brazilian government regrets the decision made by the North American government today, April 2, to impose additional tariffs of no more than 10% on all Brazilian exports to that country.The Brazilian government is evaluating all possible actions to ensure reciprocity in bilateral trade, including resorting to the World Trade Organization, in defense of legitimate national interests."

AUSTRALIAN PRIME MINISTER ANTHONY ALBANESE "The (Trump) administration's tariffs have no basis in logic and they go against the basis of our two nations' partnership. This is not the act of a friend. Today's decision will add to uncertainty in the global economy and it will push up costs for American households."

SOUTH KOREAN ACTING PRESIDENT HAN DUCK-SOO "As the global trade war has become a reality, the government must pour all its capabilities to overcome the trade crisis."

NEW ZEALAND TRADE MINISTER TODD MCCLAY "New Zealand's interests are best served in a world where trade flows freely ... New Zealand's bilateral relationship with the US remains strong. We will be talking with the administration to get more information, and our exporters to better understand the impact this announcement will have."

SPANISH PRIME MINISTER PEDRO SANCHEZ "Spain will protect its companies and workers and will continue to be committed to an open world."

SWEDISH PRIME MINISTER ULF KRISTERSSON "We don't want growing trade barriers. We don't want a trade war ... We want to find our way back to a path of trade and cooperation together with the US, so that people in our countries can enjoy a better life."

SWISS PRESIDENT KARIN KELLER-SUTTER "(The Federal Council) will quickly determine the next steps. The country's long-term economic interests are paramount. Adherence to international law and free trade remain core values."

IRISH PRIME MINISTER MICHEAL MARTIN "The decision by the US tonight to impose 20% tariffs on imports from across the European Union is deeply regrettable. I strongly believe that tariffs benefit no one. My priority, and that of the government, is to protect Irish jobs and the Irish economy."

ITALIAN PRIME MINISTER GIORGIA MELONI "We will do everything we can to work towards an agreement with the United States, with the goal of avoiding a trade war that would inevitably weaken the West in favor of other global players."

MANFRED WEBER, PRESIDENT OF THE EPP, LARGEST PARTY IN EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT "To our American friends, today isn't liberation day - it's resentment day. Donald Trump's tariffs don't defend fair trade; they attack it out of fear and hurt both sides of the Atlantic. Europe stands united, ready to defend its interests, and open to fair, firm talks."

COLOMBIAN PRESIDENT GUSTAVO PETRO "We will only make US imports more expensive if they take away our jobs. But we won't raise tariffs if their goods help create higher-value jobs."