South Korean Court Reinstates Impeached PM Han Duck-soo as Acting President

Acting President Han Duck-soo (R), who concurrently serves as prime minister, shakes hands with Finance Minister Choi Sang-mok during a meeting with Cabinet members at the government complex in Seoul, South Korea, 24 March 2025, following the Constitutional Court's dismissal of his impeachment that reinstated him as acting president in the ongoing turmoil over suspended President Yoon Suk Yeol's brief imposition of martial law. EPA/YONHAP SOUTH KOREA OUT
Acting President Han Duck-soo (R), who concurrently serves as prime minister, shakes hands with Finance Minister Choi Sang-mok during a meeting with Cabinet members at the government complex in Seoul, South Korea, 24 March 2025, following the Constitutional Court's dismissal of his impeachment that reinstated him as acting president in the ongoing turmoil over suspended President Yoon Suk Yeol's brief imposition of martial law. EPA/YONHAP SOUTH KOREA OUT
TT

South Korean Court Reinstates Impeached PM Han Duck-soo as Acting President

Acting President Han Duck-soo (R), who concurrently serves as prime minister, shakes hands with Finance Minister Choi Sang-mok during a meeting with Cabinet members at the government complex in Seoul, South Korea, 24 March 2025, following the Constitutional Court's dismissal of his impeachment that reinstated him as acting president in the ongoing turmoil over suspended President Yoon Suk Yeol's brief imposition of martial law. EPA/YONHAP SOUTH KOREA OUT
Acting President Han Duck-soo (R), who concurrently serves as prime minister, shakes hands with Finance Minister Choi Sang-mok during a meeting with Cabinet members at the government complex in Seoul, South Korea, 24 March 2025, following the Constitutional Court's dismissal of his impeachment that reinstated him as acting president in the ongoing turmoil over suspended President Yoon Suk Yeol's brief imposition of martial law. EPA/YONHAP SOUTH KOREA OUT

South Korea's Constitutional Court reinstated Prime Minister Han Duck-soo to the post of acting president on Monday, striking down his impeachment as he pledged to focus on steering Asia's fourth-biggest economy through a US "trade war".
The ruling, which comes amid months of political turmoil in the country, returns Han to power immediately, Reuters reported. He took over as acting leader from President Yoon Suk Yeol, who was himself impeached over his brief imposition of martial law in December.
"I believe the people are making it very clear, in one voice, that the extreme confrontation in politics must stop," said Han, who thanked the court for its "wise decision" and the cabinet for their hard work while he was suspended.
"As acting president, I will do my best to maintain stable state administration, and devote all wisdom and capabilities to safeguard national interests in the trade war," Han said in televised comments.
South Korea, one of the world's top exporters, has been bracing for the potential impact of a range of threatened tariffs under US President Donald Trump.
South Korea has already seen US tariffs on steel and aluminum and has been seeking an exemption from reciprocal US tariffs due to come in next month. Earlier this month, Trump singled out South Korea for applying high tariffs on US exports.
Yoon's martial law declaration plunged the key US military ally into its greatest political crisis in decades, and sparked a leadership vacuum amid spiraling impeachments, resignations, and criminal indictments for a range of top officials.
Han had initially lasted less than two weeks in the post and was impeached and suspended on December 27 after clashing with the opposition-led parliament by refusing to appoint three more justices to the Constitutional Court.
The justices on the court ruled on Monday seven to one to strike down the impeachment.
Five of the eight justices said the impeachment motion was valid, but there were not enough grounds to impeach Han as he did not violate the constitution or the law, according to a court statement.
Two justices ruled that the impeachment motion against Han, who was acting president at the time, was invalid from the start as two-thirds of lawmakers in parliament did not pass it.
One justice voted to impeach Han.
Han, 75, had served in leadership positions for more than three decades under five presidents, both conservative and liberal.
In a country sharply divided by partisan rhetoric, Han had been seen as a rare example of an official whose varied career transcended party lines.
Still, the opposition-led parliament accused him of not doing enough to thwart Yoon's decision to declare martial law, an accusation he denied.
Lee Jae-myung, head of the opposition Democratic Party, said Han's ruling must be accepted but urged the Constitutional Court to swiftly make a decision on President Yoon's impeachment.
The court is expected to rule within days, though its deliberations have dragged out longer than expected. Yoon also faces a separate criminal trial on charges of leading an insurrection by declaring martial law.
If Yoon is removed, a new presidential election will be held within 60 days.
"The court's continued delay in ruling is fueling concern and conflict ... We can now anticipate the situation going beyond a psychological civil war to become an actual physical civil war," said Lee, who is leading in opinion polls to win an election if Yoon is removed.
South Korea has seen huge, mostly peaceful, rallies both in support of Yoon and calling for his removal in recent months.
Finance Minister Choi Sang-mok had assumed the position of acting president while the cases of Yoon and Han were considered by the Constitutional Court.
The unexpected imposition of martial law on December 3 and the ensuing political upheaval sent shockwaves through South Korea, and raised concern among allies such as the United States under former President Joe Biden, who had seen Yoon as a key partner in efforts to counter China and North Korea.
The martial law in the end only lasted about six hours after lawmakers defied a security cordon around parliament and voted to reject the declaration.



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.