UN Warns of ‘Deeply Concerning’ Situation in Sudan

People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
TT

UN Warns of ‘Deeply Concerning’ Situation in Sudan

People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has described the current situation in Sudan as "deeply concerning," reiterating his warnings of the conflict spreading to neighboring countries.

Guterres spoke at a press conference in Nairobi, Kenya, and addressed the developments in Sudan and the clashes that began on April 15 between the Sudanese army, led by Lt- Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces of Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo.

He explained that several agreements failed to stop the fighting that has driven tens of thousands of refugees out of Sudan and raised fears of a deepening humanitarian crisis in the region.

The envoy asserted that the parties should agree on a lasting ceasefire, saying the situation is profoundly concerning, fearing that it could extend to neighboring countries going through political problems and transitional stages.

He expressed concerns with Chad, asserting the need to support the country in the present situation, saying Ethiopia is in a peace process, and it is essential to avoid any spillover from Sudan to Ethiopia.

Guterres dispatched UN emergency relief coordinator Martin Griffiths to Port Sudan, where thousands of Sudanese and foreigners gathered, hoping to flee the country.

Upon arriving in Port Sudan, Griffiths tweeted that his visit reaffirmed the UN's commitment to the Sudanese people.

The envoy sought to organize the dispatch of humanitarian aid to the millions of Sudanese stranded in combat zones, with the continuation of Arab and international efforts to reach a sustainable cessation of war operations.

Thousands of UN staff have been evacuated via a road convoy to Port Sudan, and some UN offices temporarily suspended their services, such as the World Food Program (WFP), after two of their staff were killed in the fighting.

Later, the program announced that it would resume operations and food distribution is expected to begin in four states - Gedaref, Gezira, Kassala, and White Nile, in the coming days.

Griffiths said in a press conference from Port Sudan that he seeks solid guarantees on the safety and security of aid workers and supplies.

He addressed criticism that the UN had not done enough, saying it was challenging to operate in Sudan, saying that six of the WFP trucks traveling to the western region of Darfur had been looted en route, despite assurances of safety and security.

"It's not as if we're asking for the moon," he said, adding: "We're asking for the safe movement of humanitarian supplies and people. We do this in every other country, even without ceasefires."

"We are very clear now in our operational requirements as to what we need in terms of commitments from them," he said.

Griffiths' visit came after the South Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that the two parties to the conflict had agreed "in principle," to a seven-day ceasefire starting Thursday.

The United Nations announced that its dedicated programs had secured only 14 percent of the funds required for its operations for this year in Sudan, and it still needs about $1.5 billion to meet these needs, which have been exacerbated since the outbreak of the fighting.

- Dead, wounded, and displaced

The conflict has killed 550 people, including civilians, and injured more than 4,900.

At least 334,000 people were displaced inside Sudan, and tens of thousands have fled to neighboring countries such as Egypt, Chad, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and Ethiopia.

However, these numbers still need to be revised and are likely to rise steadily if the fighting continues.

The UN Refugee Agency reported that more than 42,000 Sudanese have crossed into Egypt, along with 2,300 foreigners.

Aid workers are increasingly concerned about the lack of essential services in combat zones.

Several Western countries have completed evacuations of their citizens from the country, and France, Britain, and the Us are now using Port Sudan as a base for those looking to leave. But citizens of other countries are still struggling to find a way out.

Furthermore, the Saudi warships carry mainly foreigners, Sudanese of dual citizenship, and others across the Red Sea to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.