Iraq: 'False' News on Corruption Angers President's Deputies

Members of the Iraqi parliament gather to vote on Iraq's new government at the parliament headquarters in Baghdad, September 8, 2014. REUTERS/Thaier Al-Sudani
Members of the Iraqi parliament gather to vote on Iraq's new government at the parliament headquarters in Baghdad, September 8, 2014. REUTERS/Thaier Al-Sudani
TT

Iraq: 'False' News on Corruption Angers President's Deputies

Members of the Iraqi parliament gather to vote on Iraq's new government at the parliament headquarters in Baghdad, September 8, 2014. REUTERS/Thaier Al-Sudani
Members of the Iraqi parliament gather to vote on Iraq's new government at the parliament headquarters in Baghdad, September 8, 2014. REUTERS/Thaier Al-Sudani

A lapse of judgment al-Sabah semi-official newspaper had done was met with a wave of angry responses by Iraqi officials linked to the news published in its Sunday issue.

Al-Sabah newspaper reported on Sunday Head of the Commission of Integrity Hassan al-Yassri saying the President’s three deputies: Nouri al-Maliki, Ayad al-Allawi, and Osama al-Nujaifi had been referred to the court for “illegitimate earnings.”

Al-Sabah's editor in chief Abbas Abboud, who interviewed head of the Commission of Integrity, apologized for the news later saying it was a "misprint" and the newspaper mentioned the deputies' names by mistake. However, that didn't bring down the anger and condemnation statements.

Islamic Dawa Party, ruled by Nouri al-Maliki, who is also head of the State Law bloc, strongly condemned the news describing it as a "foolishness and a lie". The party issued a statement saying that the newspaper fabricated Yassri's quotation, which is a violation.

Head of the al-Mutahidoon bloc, Osama al-Nujaifi considered the news to politically target the deputies. Nujaifi issued a statement saying this is an "irresponsible act that reveals weakness and unprofessionalism." He called for holding those responsible for spreading such rumors accountable.

Commission of Integrity also denied the allegations and said that the news about the three deputies was misquoted, adding that Yassri was referring to the issue of "illegitimate earnings" of 2015/2016. Back then, the issue was related to former deputies of the prime minister and not the president.

Meanwhile, Head of Kurdish Commission of Integrity Ahmed Anwar confirmed in a press conference that the commission "looks forward to coordinating and cooperating with Iraq's commission to combat the scourge in Kurdistan as well."

Recent Iraqi government measures to trace smuggled funds and bringing to justice officials responsible of corruption had encouraged Kurdish parliamentary blocs, including Movement of Change in the Iraqi parliament, to submit several drafts and proposals for the inclusion of Kurdistan region within the procedures.

Change bloc MP Amin Bakr, stated the bloc prepared a draft in this regard in 2015 and submitted it to the parliament, which formed a follow-up committee headed by Deputy Speaker Hammam Hamoudi. The proposal was never completed because of coalitions and disagreements.

"The draft calls for the formation of a special body tasked with a comprehensive audit of the region's accounts. The investigation also includes accounts of senior officials in Iraq and Kurdistan on the issue of illicit enrichment and other corruption cases related to oil and investments," said the MP.

For his part, head of Kurdish Integrity Commission, Ahmed Anwar said that the region is part of the federal system in Iraq according to the constitution, however, the region has its own independent judicial and legal and administrations.

"The federal government cannot intervene in the region's affairs claiming it is fighting corruption, however, we welcome the federal government's measures in this regard, and we are happy we have been able to recover some of the money smuggled abroad," concluded Anwar, adding: "We hope the Iraqi government's campaign encourages the launch of similar ones here in Kurdistan."



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.