Libya: Sarraj’s Surprise Visit Reopens Sharara Oilfield

FILE PHOTO: Pipes are pictured at the El Sharara oilfield December 3, 2014. REUTERS/Ismail Zitouny/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Pipes are pictured at the El Sharara oilfield December 3, 2014. REUTERS/Ismail Zitouny/File Photo
TT
20

Libya: Sarraj’s Surprise Visit Reopens Sharara Oilfield

FILE PHOTO: Pipes are pictured at the El Sharara oilfield December 3, 2014. REUTERS/Ismail Zitouny/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Pipes are pictured at the El Sharara oilfield December 3, 2014. REUTERS/Ismail Zitouny/File Photo

Libya's biggest oilfield, El Sharara, will reopen, after the head of the Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez al-Sarraj, flew there to persuade protesters to end a blockage.

Production had not restarted yet as oil workers were waiting for orders from state oil firm NOC.

During his visit on Wednesday, Sarraj met with the representatives from the “Fezzan Rage Movement” and leaders from Battalion 30 affiliated with the oil facilities guards.

The Tripoli-based government had earlier announced a development fund worth 1 billion Libyan dinars ($717 million) for the long-neglected south in a bid to appease the protesters.

The GNA’s announcement came despite warnings made by NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanalla against paying a ransom to the “Fezzan Rage Movement” that had halted crude production at the country's largest oilfield.

NOC said the guards had facilitated the protest.

"Any attempt to pay a ransom to the group which shut down El Sharara (oilfield) would set a dangerous precedent that would threaten the recovery of the Libyan economy," Sanalla said in a statement last week.

The protesters had demanded better state services for the south, which produces around 400,000 bpd of day, but lacks basic facilities such as hospitals or electricity.

Sarraj’s visit Wednesday came as the US State Department announced in a statement that Washington “continues to monitor the situation at the Sharara oil field and supports the call for immediate and unconditional withdrawal of armed elements in the area, which is crucial to allow oil production for the benefit of all Libyans to resume.”

“We call on all parties to resolve issues through constructive dialogue and peaceful means in the spirit of compromise, rather than through threats of violence,” it said.



New Opportunity for Gaza Truce with Egyptian ‘Compromise’ Proposal

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdellaty meets with a delegation from the Palestinian Fatah movement in Cairo. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdellaty meets with a delegation from the Palestinian Fatah movement in Cairo. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
TT
20

New Opportunity for Gaza Truce with Egyptian ‘Compromise’ Proposal

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdellaty meets with a delegation from the Palestinian Fatah movement in Cairo. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdellaty meets with a delegation from the Palestinian Fatah movement in Cairo. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)

Egypt has come forward with a new proposal to the stalled ceasefire negotiations in Gaza, offering a potential path to de-escalation as Israel’s military campaign intensifies for a third consecutive week following the collapse of the previous truce.

This marks Egypt’s fourth ceasefire initiative in under a month. According to Israeli media, the new proposal aims to "bridge the gaps" between previous plans—Egyptian, American, and Israeli—that failed to gain consensus.

Experts told Asharq Al-Awsat the effort may offer a renewed opportunity for calm ahead of the Jewish Passover holiday, which begins on April 20, especially in light of an upcoming meeting between US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House, where Washington may exert pressure for a compromise.

On Saturday, Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdellaty held talks with a high-level Palestinian delegation from Fatah, headed by Central Committee Secretary Jibril Rajoub. The meeting, which included National Council head Rawhi Fattouh and former Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh, focused on "the dangerous Israeli escalation and Egypt’s efforts to restore a ceasefire and expedite the delivery of humanitarian aid," according to a statement from Egypt’s Foreign Ministry.

While Abdellaty did not disclose details of the latest proposal, Israel’s public broadcaster reported on Friday that Egypt had submitted a new plan aimed at resolving disputes over the ceasefire and prisoner exchange. The proposal reportedly lies somewhere between previous terms—namely, the release of five live Israeli captives proposed by mediators, and Israel’s demand for the return of 11 hostages alive from Gaza.

Negotiations to reinstate the truce, which collapsed on March 18 after nearly two months, have floundered in recent weeks. Among the key proposals was a US plan floated by Trump’s Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, on March 13, which sought a ceasefire lasting until April 20 and included the release of 10 hostages. Hamas, however, only agreed to release dual national Idan Alexander.

Days later, Egypt proposed that Hamas release five live hostages, including one American-Israeli citizen, in exchange for Israel permitting humanitarian aid into Gaza, a week-long pause in fighting, and the release of hundreds of Palestinian prisoners—according to the Associated Press.

On March 29, Israel presented its own revised plan, coordinated with the US, offering a 40-to-50-day truce in exchange for the return of roughly half of the 24 hostages believed to still be alive, and the remains of about half of the 35 believed dead.

Dr. Ahmed Fouad Anwar, a member of Egypt’s Council for Foreign Affairs and an expert on Israeli affairs, described Egypt’s latest initiative as "a new chance to bridge gaps and revive talks." He added that the plan may offer a "middle ground that could satisfy both parties," but its success hinges on American pressure on Israel.

Palestinian political analyst Dr. Husam al-Dajani echoed this view, describing the proposal as a step toward ending the crisis. "Any plan that halts the genocide will be accepted by the Palestinian resistance," he said, though he warned that Netanyahu remains the main obstacle. "Ending the war is not his priority, and he may stall or set new conditions."

Three Israeli officials told Axios on Saturday that Netanyahu is expected to visit the White House on Monday to meet with Trump. The president had hinted days earlier that Netanyahu would soon visit Washington and reiterated his commitment to resolving "the Gaza problem," following talks with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi last week.

On Saturday, Sisi also spoke with French President Emmanuel Macron, stressing the "urgent need to restore calm through an immediate ceasefire and facilitate humanitarian aid delivery," according to a statement from the Egyptian presidency.

Meanwhile, Witkoff is set to travel to the region this week. According to Axios, he is scheduled to meet in Abu Dhabi with Israeli Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer, who leads Israel’s negotiation team. Witkoff may also visit Doha or Cairo, depending on developments in the talks over a Gaza deal.