Preparations Underway for Haftar, Sarraj Meeting as Clashes Erupt in Libya Capital

(From Left) LNA commander Khalifa Haftar, parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh and GNA chief Fayez Al-Sarraj in Paris, on May 29, 2018. (Getty Images)
(From Left) LNA commander Khalifa Haftar, parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh and GNA chief Fayez Al-Sarraj in Paris, on May 29, 2018. (Getty Images)
TT

Preparations Underway for Haftar, Sarraj Meeting as Clashes Erupt in Libya Capital

(From Left) LNA commander Khalifa Haftar, parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh and GNA chief Fayez Al-Sarraj in Paris, on May 29, 2018. (Getty Images)
(From Left) LNA commander Khalifa Haftar, parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh and GNA chief Fayez Al-Sarraj in Paris, on May 29, 2018. (Getty Images)

Preparations are underway to hold a meeting between Libyan National Army (LNA) commander Khalifa Haftar and Government of National Accord (GNA) chief Fayez al-Sarraj.

Informed sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the meeting is planned for next week and will follow up on the previous one between the two officials that was held in Abu Dhabi last month.

Haftar and Sarraj had agreed during those talks to hold presidential and parliamentary elections before the end of the year.

The sources revealed that Egypt and the United Arab Emirates are keen on including parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh in the upcoming talks, which could be held in either Cairo or Abu Dhabi.

The meeting will focus on nominating a new candidate to head the GNA and determine its ties to the LNA. It will also cover security arrangements to hold the polls.

In Tripoli, meanwhile, the fragile UN-brokered truce reached between rival militias appeared on the brink of collapse as clashes erupted once against between various armed factions.

The sound of gunshots and explosions could be heard in the capital’s western al-Siyahiya and Janzour districts.

Janzour security directorate chief Kamal al-Fandy revealed that the clashes erupted after an armed group opened fire at a member of the Fursan Janzour Brigades, reported local media on Sunday.

No casualties have yet been reported. The UN mission and GNA have yet to comment on the unrest, which are the first of their kind this year.

The tensions have since died down.

Fierce clashes had raged in Tripoli in August 2018 between forces loyal to the GNA and members of the Seventh Brigade from the southern city of Tarhouna. The fighting left 78 people dead and 210 wounded, according to official figures.

The UN had intervened and brokered a fragile truce to end the unrest.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.