Kuwait would soon extradite to Cairo eight wanted fugitives linked to the Muslim Brotherhood, security and legal sources in Egypt told Asharq Al-Awsat on Sunday.
Last week, the Kuwaiti Interior Ministry said it has detained eight members of the outlawed group convicted of terrorism crimes and that it has decided to deport them to Egypt.
However, the Ministry’s decision angered supporters of the Brotherhood in Kuwait, where the group mobilized on Sunday to defend its members.
One of the leading figures to have attacked the Ministry’s measures was ex-Kuwaiti MP Nasser Al Duweila, who wrote on his Twitter page, “The Kuwaiti Interior Ministry’s decision to arrest members of the terrorist Brotherhood cell was an unsuccessful statement. We do not know those members or any of their activities in Kuwait.”
Islamist MP Jamaan al-Harbash, who has received a prison sentence and has fled to Turkey, also condemned the Interior Ministry’s decision in several tweets.
Another MP, Adel Al-Damkhi said, “The behavior of the Interior Ministry violates the Constitution.”
However, Magdy al-Shafei, former director general of the Egyptian "Interpol," told Asharq Al-Awsat on Sunday that “Cairo is bound by an agreement inked with Kuwait and several Arab states concerning wanted suspects and sentenced persons.”
In January 2017, both countries signed in Cairo a legal and judicial cooperation agreement on civil, commercial, criminal and personal status issues, as well as on the transfer of individuals who have been sentenced to prison.
Farouk al-Megrahi, a former Interior Ministry assistant told Asharq Al-Awsat that Kuwait is updating Egypt on the investigation into the cell’s members.
“Cairo is aware of all developments and investigations in the case,” said Megrahi.
The Egyptian official said that Cairo has sent evidence to Kuwait that the eight members were terrorists and that they have left Cairo illegally because of their involvement in violence.