Syria: Formation of Constitutional Committee Initiates 'Normalization Battle' With Damascus

UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)
UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)
TT

Syria: Formation of Constitutional Committee Initiates 'Normalization Battle' With Damascus

UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)
UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)

The formation of the Syrian Constitutional Committee and its rules of action put forward the battle of normalization with Damascus and the restoration of legitimacy to the Syrian regime, between Russia's rush to bring Syria back to the Arab family on one hand, and US's adherence to “isolating” Damascus on the other.

Last month, UN envoy Geir Pedersen and Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem agreed on the list of 150 candidates for the Constitutional Committee and its rules.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres announced the “political achievement” and declared the committee’s first meeting in Geneva on October 30.

Meanwhile, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told Asharq Al-Awsat that the breakthrough came based on the decision of the Syrian National Dialogue Conference in Sochi, and within achievements of the three Astana guarantor countries: Russia, Turkey, and Iran.

Lavrov said he welcomes the formation of the constitutional committee, pointing out that progress on the political track will address the need for Syria to return to the “Arab family,” which namely depends on Saudi Arabia’s position.

Moallem said after an accidental meeting with Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit in New York, that the Arab League should return to Syria “to become Arab.”

Aboul Gheit said that the time has not come for Syria to return to the Arab League.

“Not yet...This answer still holds in the Arab arena, even though [several] Arab countries have restored their relations with Syria and opened embassies there. The collective Arab will has not yet arrived at the moment when it announces that we have no problem with the regime in Syria,” said Arab League Sec-Gen.

He said when matters stabilize and the new Syria sets out on its path: “I anticipate its return to its seat in the Arab League. There is a most important matter - that the new Syria will not fall into the arms of Iran. This is a central Arab condition that will allow Syria to return to the Arab League."

Meanwhile, US Syria Envoy Ambassador James Jeffrey urged the Arab League to confront any efforts to bring the Assad regime back before meeting the criteria set out in Resolution 2254.

He added that any attempt to welcome the Assad regime again in the League, or the resumption of relations with it, would undermine the collective efforts to move towards a lasting, peaceful and political solution to the ongoing conflict in Syria.

US and UK led efforts to install elements of the political situation through a meeting of foreign ministers in New York including Egypt, France, Germany, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Britain, and the US.

EU High Representative Federica Mogherini and UN Envoy Pederson also called for a meeting on the sidelines of the UN Assembly General Assembly.

The countries welcomed the UN’s declaration that “an agreement was reached with all concerned parties to form a credible, balanced, comprehensive, Syria-owned and Syria-led constitutional committee.”

They described it as a “long-awaited positive step”, which still requires a serious commitment and a pledge to deliver promises to succeed.

The countries reiterated the importance of providing a suitable and neutral environment for the political process that enables Syrians of holding free, credible and fair elections, under the auspices of the United Nations, in a way that allows the participation of displaced citizens, refugees, and migrants.

They also confirmed their support to all efforts to hold all violators of international humanitarian law and international human rights law accountable, including those responsible for crimes against humanity.

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that his country has concluded that the Assad regime used chlorine as a chemical weapon in May in an attack on Latakia.

“Today I am announcing that the United States has concluded that the Assad regime used chlorine as a chemical weapon on 19 May,” Pompeo said.

UK supported the US’ position in imposing new sanctions on Syrian entities.

So far, there have been no fundamental changes in the positions of European countries and the US on the conditions of “normalizing” relations with Damascus, “legitimizing the regime”, and contributing to the reconstruction of Syria.

However, some European countries are concerned about this matter, especially after Hungary announced the opening of its embassy in Damascus, which prompted the call for meetings before the European Ministerial Meeting in Brussels mid-month.

Meanwhile, France presented a document that set four conditions for the “restoration of legitimacy”, and the recognition of the results of the elections, including “full UN supervision” on the parliamentary elections next year, and the presidential one in 2021.

Paris proposed four principles for accepting the polls, such as: establishing confidence-building measures on the ground, to create an atmosphere to ensure that the electoral process is credible.

It also wants guarantees that ensure the safe access of internally displaced people and refugees to polling stations.

Third, France wants concessional legal and practical conditions for the pluralistic voting, especially with 12 million refugees and internally displaced people in Syria, adding that it is crucial that all Syrian diaspora citizens can vote, and have the right to stand in the upcoming elections.

Finally, the paper conditions the United Nations’ supervision of the elections to provide strict neutrality in the electoral process and prevent any form of manipulation.

The document stated the position of the European Union countries, and that they are fully prepared to play their role in the reconstruction of Syria, in the event of a real comprehensive political transition, based on Security Council resolution 2254.



UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.


Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has raised the alert level of its military along the border with Lebanon, raising questions that Lebanon’s south may again be involved in a regional confrontation should the US attack Iran.

Given the heightened tensions between the US and Iran, questions have been asked over whether Hezbollah will become involved in a new war. Its Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem had recently announced that the party will not remain on the side if Iran is attacked.

On the ground, Israel blew up houses in southern Lebanon border towns and carried out air strikes in the south. Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the raids targeted “Hezbollah infrastructure,” including arms caches and rocket launchers.

Their presence in the south is a violation of current agreements, he added.

Amid the high regional tensions, Israel’s Maariv quoted a military source as saying that the army has come up with plans, including a preemptive strike against Hezbollah, which would drag the south and the whole of Lebanon into a new war.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the presidency has been carrying out internal and foreign contacts since Thursday morning to keep Lebanon out of any escalation.

Hezbollah had launched a “support front” war against Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack. In 2024, the war spiraled into an all-out conflict, with Israel decimating the Hezbollah leadership and severely weakening the party.

Israel believes that Hezbollah has been rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire that was struck in November 2024.

Kassim Kassir, a political analyst who is close to Hezbollah, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “No one knows what Hezbollah will do because the situation is tied the extent of the attack, should it happen.”

He noted that Qassem was ambiguous when he said the party will decide what to do when the time is right, but at any rate, he stressed that the party will not remain on the sidelines or abandon Iran.

“No one knows what Hezbollah’s abilities are, so everything is possible,” Kassir said.

Riad Kahwaji, a security and defense affairs expert, said he does not rule out the possibility that Hezbollah would join the war should the US attack Iran.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he stressed that Iran is now the United States’ main target, when previously it used to confront its proxies.

It has now taken the fight directly to the heart of the problem, which is the Iranian regime, he remarked.

The extent of the military mobilization in the region and the frequent American statements about regime change all indicate that a major military operation may be imminent, he added.

Israel’s military also favors preemptive operations, so it is watching Hezbollah, which remains Iran’s most powerful regional proxy despite the blows it received in 2024 war, Kahwaji said.

Hezbollah still possesses a rocket arsenal that can threaten Israel, he remarked.

Israel’s high level of alert on the border with Lebanon could be in readiness for any development. Should Tel Aviv receive word from Washington that it intends to attack Iran, then it could launch operations against Hezbollah as part of preemptive strikes aimed at preventing the party from launching attacks against it, Kahwaji said.

“As long as Hezbollah possesses heavy weapons, such as rockets, and drones, that it has not handed over to the army, then Lebanon will continue to be vulnerable to attacks in the next confrontation. It will be exposed to Israeli strikes as long as this issue remains unresolved,” he added.