Jomaili to Asharq Al-Awsat: Iraq Intelligence Plotted to Assassinate Bush, Blow up Ship to Block Suez Canal

Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)
Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)
TT

Jomaili to Asharq Al-Awsat: Iraq Intelligence Plotted to Assassinate Bush, Blow up Ship to Block Suez Canal

Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)
Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)

This was not the first time that I had the chance to interview an intelligence officer. Their world is dark and ruthless and full of deadly blows. The Iraqi intelligence agency showed no leniency with whoever it viewed as an enemy. It can be said that the regime was fearful and fearsome.

Salem al-Jomaili, director of the US branch of the intelligence agency under Saddam Hussein, sat down for a series of interviews with Asharq Al-Awsat, revealing plots and secrets that date back to the time he worked for the former regime. In the latest episode, he recalled various assassination and bomb plots that the former regime planned against perceived enemies and rivals.

Before 1980, Iraqi intelligence was not active in carrying out special operations. It limited itself to targeting Palestinian figures, who had “surrendered” to Israel, and Iraqi figures, who were involved in the July 17, 1968, revolution.

The agency witnessed major change with the eruption of the crisis in Iran and the arrival of Khomeini to power after the country’s 1979 revolution. Over time, the agency developed its defense capabilities in combating operations and sabotage attempts to later honing its skills in carrying out assassinations, the use of explosives and deadly toxins, said Jomaili.

In 1980, Khomeini’s Iran adopted its policy of “exporting the revolution” with its hostile attitude leading to a series of terrorist operations in Iraq in order to undermine the Saddam regime. The Iraqi intelligence agency sensed the danger from Iran, so it sought to expand its expertise by developing bomb-making skills.

The “Technical Research Center” was tasked with providing the material needed to make explosives and with time, it was able to respond to the Iranian attacks. Iraqi intelligence would also bring in Dr. Abdul Moneim Mahmoud Ahmed, an Egyptian chemical and biological research expert, to act as a technical advisor to chief of intelligence Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti, revealed al-Jomaili.

“We understood that the man was responsible for developing research in several fields, such as toxins and chemicals. He also oversaw the training of explosives experts. We found out that he did not join Iraqi intelligence as part of cooperation between Egypt and Iraq. Rather his name came up during an Iraqi defense ministry delegation visit to Egypt where they were seeking Egyptian expertise in developing the army’s chemical weapons capabilities,” he added.

Dr. Abdul Moneim had a university career, had previously worked in the army and was director of a chemical factory in Egypt. In Iraq, he set up a special lab for the intelligence agency in the Salman Pak area and also cooperated with Swiss and German companies. In 1986, the al-Ghafiqi Project was formed and explosive-making duties were assigned to it under the supervision of Dr. Abdul Moneim. Palestinian experts also joined the team.

Dr. Abdul Moneim would continue to work for Iraqi intelligence until the US invasion. He was arrested by American troops and died in prison.

Bush assassination plot

Jomaili confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat a plot by Iraqi intelligence to assassinate then US President George Bush in Kuwait in April 1993. The assassination would be an act of retaliation against “what America did to Iraq and its army during Bush’s time in office,” he said.

He revealed that a Land Cruiser vehicle was to be booby-trapped with explosives. Its four passengers would also be wearing explosives vests. Three of the passengers were intelligence agents and the fourth a Kuwaiti Bidoon, who was tasked with guiding them in the desert and driving the agents into Kuwait.

The vehicle was supposed to be remotely detonated as Bush’s convoy made its way through Kuwait City. The explosion would bring the convoy to a halt and the suicide bombers would then blow themselves up with the target in sight.

The vehicle was loaded with 100 kgs of explosives and concealed in a way that would not be detected. It would enter Kuwait after passing through another Gulf country. One of the would-be attackers got cold feet and informed Kuwaiti authorities of the plot. The perpetrators were all arrested and the plot was a failure. The US retaliated by striking the intelligence headquarters in Baghdad with 22 rockets in June 1993.

Suez plot

Jomaili revealed that Iraqi intelligence also sought to carry out an attack in the Suez Canal to obstruct the passage of vessels. The canal was vital for the passage of international coalition forces to the Gulf region. The plot called for booby-trapping a vessel that would be loaded with scrap metal and cement. The ship would be blown up in the middle of the canal to prevent American forces from passing through.

The ship was bought by the intelligence agency from India’s Mumbai port. It was supposed to be loaded with cement at Yemen’s Aden port where 14 intelligence officers were waiting. Among them was a suicide officer from the special operations unit. A hundred kilograms of high explosives would be used to sink the ship in the middle of the canal.

Cement was not available in Yemen, so the ship was loaded large amounts of scrap metal, delaying its departure from Aden at the specified time. A day before it was scheduled to set sail, Saddam ordered the halt of the operation, said Jomaili. The United Nations Security Council had issued a resolution calling for a ceasefire and binding Iraq to halt all hostile and terrorist operations abroad.

It was then a mad scramble to get in touch with the operatives in Yemen given that contacts between Baghdad and the outside world were limited. An intelligence officer was forced to travel to Oman to communicate with the head of the operation in Aden. He was told to bring the ship back to port if it had already set sail. Fortunately, it was still docked at the port. Had the operation gone through, Iraq would have had to pay billions of dollars in damage.

After the mission was aborted, the operatives had the arduous task of dismantling the explosives and getting rid of them at sea. The ship also had to have its name changed. The whole process took around six months, while its Greek captain and Indian crew were none the wiser, revealed Jomaili.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.