Jomaili to Asharq Al-Awsat: Iraq Intelligence Plotted to Assassinate Bush, Blow up Ship to Block Suez Canal

Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)
Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)
TT

Jomaili to Asharq Al-Awsat: Iraq Intelligence Plotted to Assassinate Bush, Blow up Ship to Block Suez Canal

Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)
Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)

This was not the first time that I had the chance to interview an intelligence officer. Their world is dark and ruthless and full of deadly blows. The Iraqi intelligence agency showed no leniency with whoever it viewed as an enemy. It can be said that the regime was fearful and fearsome.

Salem al-Jomaili, director of the US branch of the intelligence agency under Saddam Hussein, sat down for a series of interviews with Asharq Al-Awsat, revealing plots and secrets that date back to the time he worked for the former regime. In the latest episode, he recalled various assassination and bomb plots that the former regime planned against perceived enemies and rivals.

Before 1980, Iraqi intelligence was not active in carrying out special operations. It limited itself to targeting Palestinian figures, who had “surrendered” to Israel, and Iraqi figures, who were involved in the July 17, 1968, revolution.

The agency witnessed major change with the eruption of the crisis in Iran and the arrival of Khomeini to power after the country’s 1979 revolution. Over time, the agency developed its defense capabilities in combating operations and sabotage attempts to later honing its skills in carrying out assassinations, the use of explosives and deadly toxins, said Jomaili.

In 1980, Khomeini’s Iran adopted its policy of “exporting the revolution” with its hostile attitude leading to a series of terrorist operations in Iraq in order to undermine the Saddam regime. The Iraqi intelligence agency sensed the danger from Iran, so it sought to expand its expertise by developing bomb-making skills.

The “Technical Research Center” was tasked with providing the material needed to make explosives and with time, it was able to respond to the Iranian attacks. Iraqi intelligence would also bring in Dr. Abdul Moneim Mahmoud Ahmed, an Egyptian chemical and biological research expert, to act as a technical advisor to chief of intelligence Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti, revealed al-Jomaili.

“We understood that the man was responsible for developing research in several fields, such as toxins and chemicals. He also oversaw the training of explosives experts. We found out that he did not join Iraqi intelligence as part of cooperation between Egypt and Iraq. Rather his name came up during an Iraqi defense ministry delegation visit to Egypt where they were seeking Egyptian expertise in developing the army’s chemical weapons capabilities,” he added.

Dr. Abdul Moneim had a university career, had previously worked in the army and was director of a chemical factory in Egypt. In Iraq, he set up a special lab for the intelligence agency in the Salman Pak area and also cooperated with Swiss and German companies. In 1986, the al-Ghafiqi Project was formed and explosive-making duties were assigned to it under the supervision of Dr. Abdul Moneim. Palestinian experts also joined the team.

Dr. Abdul Moneim would continue to work for Iraqi intelligence until the US invasion. He was arrested by American troops and died in prison.

Bush assassination plot

Jomaili confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat a plot by Iraqi intelligence to assassinate then US President George Bush in Kuwait in April 1993. The assassination would be an act of retaliation against “what America did to Iraq and its army during Bush’s time in office,” he said.

He revealed that a Land Cruiser vehicle was to be booby-trapped with explosives. Its four passengers would also be wearing explosives vests. Three of the passengers were intelligence agents and the fourth a Kuwaiti Bidoon, who was tasked with guiding them in the desert and driving the agents into Kuwait.

The vehicle was supposed to be remotely detonated as Bush’s convoy made its way through Kuwait City. The explosion would bring the convoy to a halt and the suicide bombers would then blow themselves up with the target in sight.

The vehicle was loaded with 100 kgs of explosives and concealed in a way that would not be detected. It would enter Kuwait after passing through another Gulf country. One of the would-be attackers got cold feet and informed Kuwaiti authorities of the plot. The perpetrators were all arrested and the plot was a failure. The US retaliated by striking the intelligence headquarters in Baghdad with 22 rockets in June 1993.

Suez plot

Jomaili revealed that Iraqi intelligence also sought to carry out an attack in the Suez Canal to obstruct the passage of vessels. The canal was vital for the passage of international coalition forces to the Gulf region. The plot called for booby-trapping a vessel that would be loaded with scrap metal and cement. The ship would be blown up in the middle of the canal to prevent American forces from passing through.

The ship was bought by the intelligence agency from India’s Mumbai port. It was supposed to be loaded with cement at Yemen’s Aden port where 14 intelligence officers were waiting. Among them was a suicide officer from the special operations unit. A hundred kilograms of high explosives would be used to sink the ship in the middle of the canal.

Cement was not available in Yemen, so the ship was loaded large amounts of scrap metal, delaying its departure from Aden at the specified time. A day before it was scheduled to set sail, Saddam ordered the halt of the operation, said Jomaili. The United Nations Security Council had issued a resolution calling for a ceasefire and binding Iraq to halt all hostile and terrorist operations abroad.

It was then a mad scramble to get in touch with the operatives in Yemen given that contacts between Baghdad and the outside world were limited. An intelligence officer was forced to travel to Oman to communicate with the head of the operation in Aden. He was told to bring the ship back to port if it had already set sail. Fortunately, it was still docked at the port. Had the operation gone through, Iraq would have had to pay billions of dollars in damage.

After the mission was aborted, the operatives had the arduous task of dismantling the explosives and getting rid of them at sea. The ship also had to have its name changed. The whole process took around six months, while its Greek captain and Indian crew were none the wiser, revealed Jomaili.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.