Jomaili to Asharq Al-Awsat: Iraq Intelligence Plotted to Assassinate Bush, Blow up Ship to Block Suez Canal

Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)
Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)
TT

Jomaili to Asharq Al-Awsat: Iraq Intelligence Plotted to Assassinate Bush, Blow up Ship to Block Suez Canal

Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)
Fourteen suspects in the Bush assassination plot were tried in Kuwait. Five Iraqis and a Kuwaiti were sentenced to death in 1993. (Getty Images)

This was not the first time that I had the chance to interview an intelligence officer. Their world is dark and ruthless and full of deadly blows. The Iraqi intelligence agency showed no leniency with whoever it viewed as an enemy. It can be said that the regime was fearful and fearsome.

Salem al-Jomaili, director of the US branch of the intelligence agency under Saddam Hussein, sat down for a series of interviews with Asharq Al-Awsat, revealing plots and secrets that date back to the time he worked for the former regime. In the latest episode, he recalled various assassination and bomb plots that the former regime planned against perceived enemies and rivals.

Before 1980, Iraqi intelligence was not active in carrying out special operations. It limited itself to targeting Palestinian figures, who had “surrendered” to Israel, and Iraqi figures, who were involved in the July 17, 1968, revolution.

The agency witnessed major change with the eruption of the crisis in Iran and the arrival of Khomeini to power after the country’s 1979 revolution. Over time, the agency developed its defense capabilities in combating operations and sabotage attempts to later honing its skills in carrying out assassinations, the use of explosives and deadly toxins, said Jomaili.

In 1980, Khomeini’s Iran adopted its policy of “exporting the revolution” with its hostile attitude leading to a series of terrorist operations in Iraq in order to undermine the Saddam regime. The Iraqi intelligence agency sensed the danger from Iran, so it sought to expand its expertise by developing bomb-making skills.

The “Technical Research Center” was tasked with providing the material needed to make explosives and with time, it was able to respond to the Iranian attacks. Iraqi intelligence would also bring in Dr. Abdul Moneim Mahmoud Ahmed, an Egyptian chemical and biological research expert, to act as a technical advisor to chief of intelligence Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti, revealed al-Jomaili.

“We understood that the man was responsible for developing research in several fields, such as toxins and chemicals. He also oversaw the training of explosives experts. We found out that he did not join Iraqi intelligence as part of cooperation between Egypt and Iraq. Rather his name came up during an Iraqi defense ministry delegation visit to Egypt where they were seeking Egyptian expertise in developing the army’s chemical weapons capabilities,” he added.

Dr. Abdul Moneim had a university career, had previously worked in the army and was director of a chemical factory in Egypt. In Iraq, he set up a special lab for the intelligence agency in the Salman Pak area and also cooperated with Swiss and German companies. In 1986, the al-Ghafiqi Project was formed and explosive-making duties were assigned to it under the supervision of Dr. Abdul Moneim. Palestinian experts also joined the team.

Dr. Abdul Moneim would continue to work for Iraqi intelligence until the US invasion. He was arrested by American troops and died in prison.

Bush assassination plot

Jomaili confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat a plot by Iraqi intelligence to assassinate then US President George Bush in Kuwait in April 1993. The assassination would be an act of retaliation against “what America did to Iraq and its army during Bush’s time in office,” he said.

He revealed that a Land Cruiser vehicle was to be booby-trapped with explosives. Its four passengers would also be wearing explosives vests. Three of the passengers were intelligence agents and the fourth a Kuwaiti Bidoon, who was tasked with guiding them in the desert and driving the agents into Kuwait.

The vehicle was supposed to be remotely detonated as Bush’s convoy made its way through Kuwait City. The explosion would bring the convoy to a halt and the suicide bombers would then blow themselves up with the target in sight.

The vehicle was loaded with 100 kgs of explosives and concealed in a way that would not be detected. It would enter Kuwait after passing through another Gulf country. One of the would-be attackers got cold feet and informed Kuwaiti authorities of the plot. The perpetrators were all arrested and the plot was a failure. The US retaliated by striking the intelligence headquarters in Baghdad with 22 rockets in June 1993.

Suez plot

Jomaili revealed that Iraqi intelligence also sought to carry out an attack in the Suez Canal to obstruct the passage of vessels. The canal was vital for the passage of international coalition forces to the Gulf region. The plot called for booby-trapping a vessel that would be loaded with scrap metal and cement. The ship would be blown up in the middle of the canal to prevent American forces from passing through.

The ship was bought by the intelligence agency from India’s Mumbai port. It was supposed to be loaded with cement at Yemen’s Aden port where 14 intelligence officers were waiting. Among them was a suicide officer from the special operations unit. A hundred kilograms of high explosives would be used to sink the ship in the middle of the canal.

Cement was not available in Yemen, so the ship was loaded large amounts of scrap metal, delaying its departure from Aden at the specified time. A day before it was scheduled to set sail, Saddam ordered the halt of the operation, said Jomaili. The United Nations Security Council had issued a resolution calling for a ceasefire and binding Iraq to halt all hostile and terrorist operations abroad.

It was then a mad scramble to get in touch with the operatives in Yemen given that contacts between Baghdad and the outside world were limited. An intelligence officer was forced to travel to Oman to communicate with the head of the operation in Aden. He was told to bring the ship back to port if it had already set sail. Fortunately, it was still docked at the port. Had the operation gone through, Iraq would have had to pay billions of dollars in damage.

After the mission was aborted, the operatives had the arduous task of dismantling the explosives and getting rid of them at sea. The ship also had to have its name changed. The whole process took around six months, while its Greek captain and Indian crew were none the wiser, revealed Jomaili.



Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."

 

 

 

 


Few People Left at Syria Camp that Held ISIS Families, Former Director Says

Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
TT

Few People Left at Syria Camp that Held ISIS Families, Former Director Says

Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi

Fewer than 1,000 families remain at a camp where relatives of suspected ISIS militants had been held in Syria's northeast, the camp's former director said on Wednesday, with thousands having fled last month as government forces seized control of the area from Kurdish-led fighters.

Al-Hol, near the Iraqi border, was one of the main detention camps for relatives of suspected ISIS militants who were detained during the US-backed campaign against the terrorist group in Syria.

Control of the camp changed hands last month when government forces under President Ahmed al-Sharaa seized swathes of the northeast from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, including several jails holding ISIS militants. The US military said last week it had completed a mission to transfer 5,700 adult male ISIS detainees to Iraq.

Jihan Hanna, the former director who still coordinates with international agencies and the Syrian government, told Reuters the remaining families were Syrian nationals and were being transferred to a camp in Aleppo. Most of the camp’s foreign nationals had fled, she said.

The Syrian government did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

According to the latest camp data obtained by Reuters, dated January 19 - a day before the government took control of the camp - its population was 6,639 families comprising 23,407 people, mostly Syrians and Iraqis, as well as 6,280 foreigners from more than 40 nationalities.

UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, said it had observed "a significant decrease in the number of residents in al-Hol camp in recent weeks," adding in a statement to Reuters that there were no confirmed figures on the remaining population.

"Over the weekend the camp administration advised UNHCR not to enter the camp due to the unrest and anxiety in the camp," UNHCR added.

The Syrian government accused the SDF of withdrawing from al-Hol on January 20 without any coordination.

The SDF, in a statement that day, said its forces had been "compelled to withdraw from al-Hol camp and redeploy to areas surrounding cities in northern Syria that are facing increasing risks and threats."

A Syrian government security source said most people in the camp fled that day during a five-hour period when it was unguarded, and that some had left with men who came to take their relatives to unknown destinations.

The security source and a source from a non-governmental organization working there said a section of the camp that housed its most dangerous residents, known as the annex, was empty.

The security source said the escapees had spread throughout Syria and that security authorities, working in cooperation with international partners, had established a unit to "follow up on the matter and pursue those who are wanted."

Some have left Syria.

In Lebanon, the army has questioned more than a dozen Lebanese who crossed illegally from Syria after leaving al-Hol, a Lebanese security source said.

The Syrian government’s Directorate of International Cooperation said on Tuesday that hundreds of people, mostly women and children, had been transferred from al-Hol to a newly prepared camp near the town of Akhtarin in northern Aleppo.