Iraqi Forces on Alert After ISIS Militants Escape from Syrian Prison

Iraqi forces, with the support of the Popular Mobilization Forces, advance in the Hatra desert on Sunday as they flush out remaining ISIS fighters (AFP)
Iraqi forces, with the support of the Popular Mobilization Forces, advance in the Hatra desert on Sunday as they flush out remaining ISIS fighters (AFP)
TT

Iraqi Forces on Alert After ISIS Militants Escape from Syrian Prison

Iraqi forces, with the support of the Popular Mobilization Forces, advance in the Hatra desert on Sunday as they flush out remaining ISIS fighters (AFP)
Iraqi forces, with the support of the Popular Mobilization Forces, advance in the Hatra desert on Sunday as they flush out remaining ISIS fighters (AFP)

Iraqi security forces on Sunday were put on high alert in three governorates located close to the Syrian border, to prevent any infiltration attempts after reports that ISIS inmates escaped from a prison in northeastern Syria.

A source in the Iraqi Ministry of Defense told the Arab World Press (AWP) Sunday that “the Ministry mobilized all its forces stationed close to the Syrian border and supported them with additional forces, after receiving information that terrorists had escaped from a prison in northeastern Syria.”

“The 7th Division, stationed at the border strip opposite al-Hol camp and up towards the north, took precautionary measures and began extensive sweeping and ground reconnaissance operations to prevent infiltration,” the source affirmed, adding that the Ministry also mobilized its air forces to comb out the area.

“Since Saturday, the forces have been roaming the skies on the border strip with Syria and in the Nineveh and west Al-Jazeera operations commands, to monitor any suspicious movements,” the source said.

On Saturday, media reports said 37 ISIS members escaped from a prison in Ras al-Ayn in the Hasakah governorate in northeastern Syria, an area controlled by Turkish forces and close to the borders of both Iraq and Türkiye.

The reports indicated that the fugitives included Iraqis.

Later, a statement issued by the Popular Mobilization Forces said its Nineveh Operations Command launched a comprehensive security operation from Hadar Island, stretching to the border areas adjacent to Saladin and Al-Jazeera Operations Commands, spanning across four strategic axes.

Meanwhile, the Anbar Operations Commander, Lieutenant-General Numan Al-Zobaie, told AWP that the Iraqi forces are continuing to pursue terrorists deep in the desert and to prevent any infiltration.

He ruled out any possible infiltration of prisoners fleeing from Syria into Anbar due to the tight security measures enforced at the borders.

Earlier, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said military and security forces at the Kurdish-dominated Autonomous Administration areas were put on high alert since early Saturday after 37 prisoners escaped from a prison in Ras Al-Ain city in “Peace Spring” area in north-western Hasaka.

The prisoners included 18 civilians from Al-Darbasiyah and Amuda in the Hasaka countryside, who had been arrested at different times while they were sneaking into the “Peace Spring” area with the help of smugglers, the Observatory noted.

It added that the18 inmates arrived on Saturday to SDF-controlled areas after their families paid ransoms of $3,000 per person.

The inmates were arrested by SDF forces. They were interrogated shortly after their arrival.

Meanwhile, SDF security services are chasing 19 other prisoners who crossed on Saturday into SDF-controlled areas from the “Peace Spring” area, amid concerns that those prisoners are ISIS commanders who are intentionally sent to the areas to carry out planned operations.

Also, SOHR sources said about 40 families of ISIS members holding the Iraqi nationalities, including women and children, left Ras Al-Ain (Sare Kaniyeh) area within the “Peace Spring” area in the Hasaka countryside, towards Turkish territory, through the border crossing.

Sources confirmed that those families will be handed over to the Iraqi government by the Turkish consulate after entering the Turkish territory, under a joint coordination between the two sides.

 



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.