Iraqi President: 600,000 IDPs Live in Extremely Complex, Challenging Conditions

Iraq's President Abdul Latif Rashid with the UN Assistant Secretary-General and Development Program (UNDP) Assistant Administrator and Regional Director for the Arab States, Abdallah al-Dardari (Iraqi Presidency)
Iraq's President Abdul Latif Rashid with the UN Assistant Secretary-General and Development Program (UNDP) Assistant Administrator and Regional Director for the Arab States, Abdallah al-Dardari (Iraqi Presidency)
TT

Iraqi President: 600,000 IDPs Live in Extremely Complex, Challenging Conditions

Iraq's President Abdul Latif Rashid with the UN Assistant Secretary-General and Development Program (UNDP) Assistant Administrator and Regional Director for the Arab States, Abdallah al-Dardari (Iraqi Presidency)
Iraq's President Abdul Latif Rashid with the UN Assistant Secretary-General and Development Program (UNDP) Assistant Administrator and Regional Director for the Arab States, Abdallah al-Dardari (Iraqi Presidency)

Iraq's President Abdul Latif Rashid said on Sunday that approximately 600,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) are enduring highly complex and challenging circumstances.

 

Rashid had received the UN Assistant Secretary-General and Development Program (UNDP) Assistant Administrator and Regional Director for the Arab States, Abdallah al-Dardari, and the accompanying delegation.

The Iraqi president underscored the need to develop ties with the UN through its specialized agencies to achieve the desired objectives of supporting Iraq in a way that helps resolve the problems of the displaced, and promotes the country's economy and development, a statement by the Presidency Office said.

He referred to the national capabilities of engineers and the workforce that can be used through cooperation with United Nations organizations to help the immigrants.

The president urged the UN delegation to visit the ministries of water resources, agriculture, and electricity to oversee the required needs and exchange visions, ideas, and experiences to improve the situation in these areas.

The discussions also addressed the water crisis faced by Iraq due to the water policies of neighboring countries and the absence of effective water management and electricity production, the statement noted.

The number of displaced Iraqis has decreased significantly in recent years after the decline of the influence of terrorist groups and the military defeat of ISIS.

UN reports indicated there were about four million displaced people at the height of the violence, and ISIS control over about a third of the lands in the west and north of the country.

The Iraqi Ministry of Immigration indicates that there are 36,000 displaced families distributed in 20 displacement camps in the Dohuk governorate in the Kurdistan region. There are also 26,000 Iraqis out of 70,000 displaced in the Syrian al-Hawl camp.

Last week, an intergovernmental meeting was held in Baghdad, sponsored by the Foreign Ministry, and attended by the National Security Adviser and international missions and organizations residing in Iraq.

The meeting aimed to discuss the vision of the Iraqi government regarding the al-Hol camp in Syria.

The Iraqi government said it was able to transfer ten batches of Iraqi families coming from the Hol camp who will be rehabilitated before their reintegration into their communities.

The return of the displaced families from the Jurf al-Sakhar area in Babil governorate is still highly questionable, given that one of the armed factions that have controlled the area for eight years has not allowed them to return.

The Ministry of Migration and Displacement announced the return of a new batch of Iraqis from the areas located on the Turkish-Syrian border, through the ministry's office in Ankara, in coordination with the Ministry of Transport and the Iraqi embassy and consulate in Türkiye.

The ministry said that 102 Iraqi citizens had been transported from the areas located on the Turkish-Syrian border to the country through the Ibrahim al-Khalil crossing of Zakho district in Dohuk.

The ministry affirmed that it would continue its efforts to "voluntarily return all families to the homeland."

 



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.