Ethiopia Again Rejects AL’s Intervention in GERD Crisis

Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)
Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)
TT

Ethiopia Again Rejects AL’s Intervention in GERD Crisis

Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)
Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)

Ethiopian Foreign Minister Demeke Mekonnen renewed his country’s rejection of any Arab League intervention in the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) crisis between Ethiopia and the downstream countries, Egypt and Sudan.

The position comes as Addis Ababa prepares to launch the fourth controversial filling of its mega-dam reservoir on the Blue Nile during the rainy season in July and August.

Meanwhile, an unexpected handshake and exchange of smiles between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed was witnessed Thursday at the summit of the New Global Financing Pact held in Paris.

This encounter took place despite the ongoing crisis between the two countries regarding the GERD dam.

On Thursday, Mekonnen rejected what he described as “unconstructive and unjustified interference” of the Arab League in the Renaissance dam file. The details of filling the dam were agreed among the experts of the three countries, he said, and that Ethiopia worked to address the concerns of Egypt and Sudan.

His comments echoed a similar position delivered by Addis Ababa in response to the Jeddah Declaration, in which the Arab League stated its support for the water safety of downstream countries.

Last month, the Declaration called for refraining from any unilateral steps that harm Egypt and Sudan's water interests.

In response, the Ethiopian Foreign Ministry criticized the statement of the Arab summit saying it was part of Egypt’s efforts to put pressure on Addis Ababa and is an insult to the African Union and member states.

Egypt responded, at that time, by affirming its position calling for “reaching a firm agreement regarding filling and operating the Ethiopian dam.”

Last month, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said Egypt depended throughout its history on the Nile river, and 65 percent of Egyptians work in the agricultural sector.

He also said that the African Union had undoubtedly neither succeeded in making Addis Ababa change its position nor had it recourse to similar experiences of transboundary rivers.

Meanwhile, former assistant to Egyptian Foreign Minister, Ambassador Rakha Ahmed Hassan, said the recent Ethiopian statements echo Addis Ababa’s continued intransigence.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that the statements confirm that Ethiopia has no intention or desire to reach an agreement with Egypt and Sudan.

Ethiopia is thwarting the Declaration of Principles signed in March 2015, as Addis Ababa did not provide any socio-economic and environmental impact studies of the dam on downstream countries, he said.

Dr Samir Ghattas, head of Middle East Forum for Strategic Studies agreed with Ahmed Hassan. He said the recent Ethiopian statements reveal that Addis Ababa rejects binding international arbitration as a dispute settlement modality for any GERD deal.

Ghattas told Asharq Al-Awsat that Ethiopia also rejects a technical agreement on the filling of the GERD's reservoir.

“Ethiopia is using the current circumstances which placed Egypt alone in the negotiation path as Sudan is busy with the ongoing war,” he said, adding that Addis Ababa also benefits from the presence of the African Union headquarters on its soil, and therefore continues to reject all negotiations.

“There must be a method other than complaining. We have three decisive months, during which Ethiopia will implement the fourth filling of the dam,” Ghattas warned, adding that negotiations have reached a dead end.

He then affirmed that Egypt has no choice but to return to the Security Council and seek the support of the Arab countries and the European Union for the position of the two downstream countries.



Libya PM Undergoes 'Successful' Treatment at Heart Hospital

Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)
Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)
TT

Libya PM Undergoes 'Successful' Treatment at Heart Hospital

Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)
Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)

Libya's Prime Minister Abdulhamid Dbeibah has undergone "successful" treatment at a heart hospital, his office said Saturday, but his specific ailment was not disclosed.

"I assure you that I am fine, by God's grace," said a statement posted on social media overnight.

The treatment was carried out at a facility in the northwestern Libyan city of Misrata on an undisclosed date, said AFP.

Dbeibah said he later travelled abroad for "additional medical checkups for reassurance", though this was not the primary reason for his trip.

Italian media outlets previously reported he had been admitted to a leading cardiac facility in Milan on Thursday for a general check-up.

"The matter is simply that I underwent some additional medical checkups for reassurance while I was abroad due to a prior external commitment," he said.

"The results confirmed the success of the treatment I received in Libya, praise be to God."

The prime minister leads a UN-recognized government based in Tripoli that controls western Libya, while the country's east is run by another administration backed by military strongman Khalifa Haftar.

Libya has remained divided since chaos erupted following the 2011 Arab Spring uprising that toppled longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi.


Eight Hezbollah Members Killed in Israel’s Friday Strikes on Lebanon

A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)
A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)
TT

Eight Hezbollah Members Killed in Israel’s Friday Strikes on Lebanon

A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)
A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)

Attacks carried out by Israel on Friday in eastern Lebanon killed eight members of Hezbollah, an official from the group told AFP on Saturday.

Lebanon's health ministry said Friday that a total of 10 people were killed in strikes that hit the eastern Bekaa region.

The Israeli military said it targeted "several terrorists of Hezbollah's missile array in three different command centers in the Baalbek area".

Lebanon's president on Saturday condemned the attacks, the latest despite a ceasefire with Hezbollah.

In a statement, Joseph Aoun called the attacks "a blatant act of aggression aimed at thwarting diplomatic efforts" by the United States and other nations to establish stability.

A lawmaker from Hezbollah called on Beirut to suspend meetings of a multinational committee tasked with monitoring the truce.

Washington is one of five members on the committee overseeing the ceasefire implemented in November 2024, with the body scheduled to meet again next week.

Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon despite the ceasefire, usually saying it is targeting Hezbollah but occasionally also the group's Palestinian ally Hamas.

The Friday attacks on southern and eastern Lebanon killed 12 people, according to the health ministry, 10 of them in the east of the country.

Israel's military said it struck "several terrorists of Hezbollah's missile array in three different command centers in the Baalbek area".

Hezbollah said a commander was killed in the raids. Its lawmaker Rami Abu Hamdan said on Saturday the group "will not accept the authorities acting as mere political analysts, dismissing these as Israeli strikes we have grown accustomed to before every meeting of the committee".

He called on Beirut to "suspend the committee's meetings until the enemy ceases its attacks".

Hezbollah, while weakened following war with Israel, remains a strong political force in Lebanon represented in parliament.

Lebanon's government last year committed to disarming the Iran-backed group, with the army saying last month it had completed the first phase of the plan covering the area near the Israeli border.

Israel, which accuses Hezbollah of rearming since the war, has called the Lebanese army's progress on disarming the group insufficient.


Ramadan’s First Friday Prayers Are Held at Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque

Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Ramadan’s First Friday Prayers Are Held at Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque

Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)

Tens of thousands of Palestinians gathered under heavy Israeli restrictions at Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, including some who were allowed to enter from the occupied West Bank.

The Ramadan prayers at Al-Aqsa took place for the first time since a shaky ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas went into effect in October. It was the first opportunity many had to leave the West Bank and pray at the site in Jerusalem’s Old City since Ramadan last year.

Israel restricted the number of Palestinians allowed to enter from the West Bank to 10,000 on Friday, and only allowed men over 55 and women over 50 as well as children up to 12. It has imposed similar restrictions in the past, citing security concerns.

The hilltop, which Jews refer to as the Temple Mount, is the holiest site in Judaism and was home to the ancient biblical temples. Muslims call the site the Noble Sanctuary. Today it is home to Al-Aqsa Mosque, the third-holiest site in Islam.

It has frequently been a flashpoint in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Israeli police said more than 3,000 police were deployed across Jerusalem. They said their presence was not meant to show aggression or force but was aimed at providing help in case of an emergency.

Many Palestinians view the heightened Israeli security presence, and increasing visits by religious and nationalist Israeli Jews, as a provocation. They fear that Israel intends to take over or partition the compound. The Israeli government denies having any such plans.

Jerusalem’s Islamic Waqf, the Jordanian religious authority that administers the compound, said there were 80,000 in attendance. In normal times, Ramadan Friday prayers at Al-Aqsa can draw up to 200,000.

Ezaldeen Mustafah, a Palestinian from the West Bank, was among those lamenting the restrictions.

“We need more people than this,” he said.

Some Palestinians from the West Bank on Friday said they were turned away from crossing into Jerusalem even though they had permits. Jihad Bisharat said he was told his permit had been canceled and was sent back. Israel's army didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Old City, home to major religious sites sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims, is in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in the 1967 Mideast war, along with the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The Palestinians want all three territories for a future state with its capital in east Jerusalem. Israel annexed east Jerusalem, a move not recognized by most of the international community, and considers the entire city to be its capital.

Ramadan in Gaza

Many Palestinians said the month’s typically festive spirit is eluding them as they struggle with grief and losses following two years of conflict in Gaza sparked by Hamas' Oct. 7, 2023, attack into Israel.

“All the mosques have been bombed,” said Ramiz Firwana, a Gaza resident who gathered with other worshippers for a Friday sermon and prayers held in schoolyard.

On Thursday evening, families sat amid the rubble and destruction for iftar, the meal held at the end of the daily dawn-to-dusk fast.

“Despite the displacement, the pain and the destruction, we want to rejoice and live,” said Mohammad Kollab, from Khan Younis. “We are not a people destined only for destruction and killing."

Israel’s military offensive has killed more than 72,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, and caused widespread destruction and displaced most of the territory’s residents. Israel launched the offensive after Hamas-led militants killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and took another 251 hostage in the initial attack.

The Oct. 10 US-brokered ceasefire deal has brought an end to major military operations and the release of the remaining hostages. But Palestinians, including many civilians, are still being killed in near-daily strikes that Israel says are aimed at militants who threaten or attack its forces.